Who is interested in an SVR-journey to Rome?

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Are you interested?

Yes, no matter what price
No votes
Yes, if it is affordable
54%
Maybe... I'm not sure.
27%
No, because I don't know the other members well enough
No votes
No, because it will be too expensive
9%
No (other reasons)
9%

Total votes : 11

Who is interested in an SVR-journey to Rome?

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:10 pm

Salvete,

This is a poll to count how many people are interested in an SVR holiday in Rome. Please be so kind only to vote once.

I would try to organize an SVR holiday (5-7days) at a hotel in Rome. Everybody should try to forsee in its own transport. No timing is set yet. This poll is for checking interest.

Vale,

Locatus
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Not very convincing

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:21 pm

Salvete!

Only 6 people have voted until now. Not very convincing. I guess we're not up to such an idea yet.

Loc
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Anonymous on Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:52 am

Salve!

For me, going to Rome would be the equivalent of a devout Muslim making a pilgrimage to Mecca. And in the same spirit, I've sworn I will make the journey at least once in this lifetime. And it goes without saying I'd love to meet fellow SVR members someday.

But I am currently somewhat bereft of finances for a transatlantic flight as well as expenses for several days in a major European city. So I'm going to have to take a raincheck. Sorry. :(

Vale!

Romulus Iulius Ursus
Anonymous

Roman Go Home

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:47 am

I could never do it if I had only several days to take it all in. My Roman-go-home plan is more on the order of a sabbatical. I was going to do it on my first sabbatical as a teacher. Plans for a second career in teaching have fallen through due to my health, so I have now arbitrarily set myself a seven-year deadline to make it happen at my own expense.

It would take me an entire year...eight or nine months to savor everything, and the remaining three or four to recover from the experience. I shall need to recover; I expect my pilgrimage (beautiful way to put it, mi Urse!) is going to affect me on a very deep level, and I may not be quite coherent for awhile afterwards. There will be no tour groups--I must needs discover Mater Roma in my own way. If permitted, I should like to wander the gardens on the Palatine...sit on the remaining tier of benches in the Flavian Amphitheater (Colosseum)...make explorations in search of the Lupercal...and stand under the oculus of the Pantheon when it's raining, for starters. I will make mini-wanderings to places I consider sacred, like the spot where the Temple of Mars Ultor once stood--it contained the Legions' Eagles, you see, and I must pay my respects. I might ask a curator about purchasing a 'fixer-upper' in Pompeii, just to see the look on his face. And of course I'm game for a walk, in my Legionary gear, down the Via Appia!

If the Fates and Fortuna are extraordinarily kind to me, I might also do two more sabbaticals--one in Roman Britain, and one in Roman Spain, my homeland. I wouldn't mind some Romanish company in any of these places.

>({|:-)

In amicitia et fides,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to General