Curio enters...

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Curio enters...

Postby Curio Agelastus on Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:48 pm

**Curio enters, an extremely unusual wide grin on his face - normally his face turns downwards, but now he almost dances in.**

Salvete omnes!

**Continues dancing** I'm going to Rome, I'm going to Rome, I'm going to Rome, I'm going to Rome, I'm going to Rome, I'm going to Rome, I'm going to Rome, I'm going to Rome, I'm going to Rome, I'm going to Rome, I'm going to Rome, I'm going to Rome, I'm going to Rome, I'm going to Rome, I'm going to Rome, I'm going to Rome...

**Notices the stares he's receiving** Ahem... I'm going to Rome this Monday, and making the journey back to Britannia on Thursday.

Apart from Colosseum, Forum Romanum, Quirinal etc, what would you recommend seeing?

Ah, to hell with it, I just came to jump up and down with joy! :-D

Bene valete amici,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Trip to Rome

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:22 am

Salve Marce Scriboni,

Congratulations on your upcoming trip! I'm sure that it will become one of your favorites!

While you are at the Forum, don't miss the Palatine Hill. Visit the Capitoline Museums and see whether you can get into the Curia (it was closed when I was last there in May). I also recommend the National Archeological Museum near Termini Station and the Vatican Museum for the greatest art treasures. If you are most interested in Etruria and early Rome, visit the Villa Giulia museum in the Borghese Gardens.

For architectural splendor, nothing beats the Pantheon in my book (in the Piazza della Rotonda). The Baths of Carcalla are also impressive.

I hope that you are staying in Rome for at least ten days to see just the highlights!

Final tips: ride the Metro or walk (if you are in good shape). Driving is crazy, parking is impossible, and the busses are unreliable.

Most, but not all, museums are closed on Monday. Get a recent guidebook or call ahead to check.

Try to eat when everyone else is doing so. It is difficult to find restaurants that open during other hours (unless you want to eat Big Macs while in Rome).

Vale bene,

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:46 pm

Curio: was that an attempt to make us jealous? ;) If so, it worked!

We expect a full report with pictures, amice! :D

Scorpio
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

*...*

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Dec 14, 2002 12:40 am

** Marius' eyes expand; his jaw drops. **

** After several minutes, a thin bit of drool escapes his open mouth. **

** As if to rectify the balance of the Universe (the drool having gone out), a bee flies in. **

** Marius' nervous system picks this inopportune moment to shut his jaws again. **

I think he's got a bee in his bonnet; I leave the rest up to your collective imagination... Except the part about wanting to be a Mouse in Curio's luggage--!!!!

Enjoy, and see enough for Marius, too, en?
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:29 pm

Salvete omnes,

My thanks for the advice, Tergeste, I'll bear it in mind!

Scorpio, how can you suspect me of trying to make you all jealous? Well, maybe just a little. ;-) I'll certainly take pics, you'll see them if I can download them onto my temperamental computer.

Mari, I doubt I'll see even enough for Curio, let alone enough for Marius, but I'll do my best! And I doubt a mouse would fit in my luggage - I'm trying to fit vast amounts of books into a single small bag, hehehe.

Oh well, plane leaves tomorrow morning. Until Thursday, amici!

**Curio dances out**

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Return to General