Impressions from Cleopatra Aelia's Rome Trip

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Impressions from Cleopatra Aelia's Rome Trip

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:24 pm

Avete amici,

Actually the first picture I'm trying to upload here is not from Rome actually but from Pompeii where we went to for just one day. That area is worth a longer visit though, esp. to visit the National Museum in Naples and the excavations at Herculaneum are on my wish list for another trip to Italy.

But here we go now. This is the facade of the amphitheater in Pompeii which is BTW one of the oldest ones built in 70 BC, so 150 years before the Amphitheatrum Flavium (Colosseum).

Yipeeh, it works :!:
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:57 pm

Thanks to the help of Aldus Marius who uploaded the pics on the SVR website I can present you now some more impressions from Roma:

This is a detail of the Ara Pacis which you can see in a recently opened new museum. When I was in Rome for the first time six years ago it was closed so I was delighted to see it this time.

The most famous building I guess :wink: I'm surprised how good it actually came out with my non-professional camera when just waiting at the busstop for the bus to come.

The Amphitheatrum Flavium or Colosseum is not the only amphitheater in Rome. The above building is the private amphitheater belonging to a palace built by Septimius Severus and then used by Elagabal called Amphitheatrum Castrense. It could house 3000 spectators and is integrated in the city wall. Unfortunately there was no chance to see it from the inside.

Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tarquinius Dionysius on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:45 pm

Cleopatra Aelia wrote:This is a detail of the Ara Pacis which you can see in a recently opened new museum. When I was in Rome for the first time six years ago it was closed so I was delighted to see it this time.

The artistry on this relief is quite simply astounding. Thanks for sharing.
Tarquinius Dionysius
Senator
Senator

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:21 pm

I got some more pics of the Ara Pacis and wouldn't mind to let you have them for your purposes if you need them. Not that there are aleady as many published as for the Trajan's markets which I had suggested in my PM.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby cepasaccus on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:44 am

Many thanks for the photos.
kitty mea felis dodeviginti annos nata requiescat in pace. me per pleramque meam vitam comitabat. laeta gaudiumque meum erat. desiderio eius angor.
cepasaccus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Return to General