How do You Practice Your Romanitas in Your Daily Life?

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

How do You Practice Your Romanitas in Your Daily Life?

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:28 am

Salvete, Sodales Sociique -

This was a topic that Anna Minucia Marcella had started for discussion over at Roman Space, I believe, some time back. She had no objection if I repeated it here, as well, and so:

In your daily life, how do you practice your Romanitas?

This is quite open-ended, but hopefully that will encourage rather than restrict answers!

Valete.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:21 pm

Salve Iohane,

Well, hard to answer actually: As for Religio Romana I do have a little altar with figurines of lares and a Nemesis statuette, and a chalice for incense. I don't have a proper lararium yet but am thinking of constructing one but only together with the help of my boy friend.

Besides that I'm of course involved a lot in my gladiatorial reenactment, which is not just the training with the other members of my groups, but also organization. Besides that we have to work on our kit and also read about this topic. Further I try to keep fit by riding my bike and going to my regular Martial Arts class.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:25 am

Salve iterum, Cleopatra Aelia -

Active and physical! And ongoing research as to the nature of your calling. That's a solid bit of Romanitas, I'd say.

Vale.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Gaius Iulius Tabernarius on Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:14 am

Salve Iohanes,

I like to think of myself as a modern day philosopher. I am constantly musing over religious, ethical, and scientific pursuits and their implications. And applying logic to both argument, which I have as often as possible and advice which I give to my family and friends quite often.

I also do my best to exercise and bath at least every other day.

As for more physical pursuits, I haven't really had the chance to give any of the local groups a once over. I simply don't have the time. I would enjoy it though.

In any case having me talk about Rome is easy, having me not mention Rome in 90% of every conversation, my friends and family will say that's impossible.

So far I have been called a wannabe, a nut, and my personal favorite Romosextual. I thought that was particularly funny.

Vale
"O Tempora! O Mores!!" Cicero
Gaius Iulius Tabernarius
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Re: How do You Practice Your Romanitas in Your Daily Life?

Postby UrsusofUNRV on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:59 pm

Well, I am always trying to read something and anything on Greece, Rome and Egypt. And when I read, I often write about it. I've written numerous essay and book reviews on another site, which I hope inspires people to learn more.

Religiously I honor Greco-Roman and Greco-Egyptian gods everyday.

Philosophically I try to live by certain creeds. I prefer Aristotle's ethics to Stoicism .... but I prefer simple wisdom such as "Nothing in Excess" even more.
UrsusofUNRV
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Re: How do You Practice Your Romanitas in Your Daily Life?

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:55 am

(But thank goodness the Peripatetics and the Stoics no longer need to be so violently at odds, as they were in Ancient times!)
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Return to General