booklists

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

booklists

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:04 pm

Salvete
I have a idea. What if we post a booklist for every collegium on the website and on the forum containing books most useful for each collegium. So that the people who visit our forum and our site know what books are recomended to read. Its a suggestion.
valete optime in pace deorum
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:06 am

Salve Orce

This is a good idea for each collegium to take up. We began a booklist topic for Collegium Religionis, and Marius offered a list of ancient sources at Militarum. I will begin a topic in Historicum with a booklist of modern sources I usually rely on.

Vale
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:32 pm

Salvete
I searched on Amazon.com for any good books on Graeco- roman religion, history, etc.. and i came up with this list. Did anyone read any of these books and if so, can you give a review of it.
The Peloponnesian Wars by Donald Kagan
Battles of the Greek and Roman world: a chronological compendium of 667 battles to 31 B.c, from historians of the ancient world by John Drogo Montaga
Warfare in the classical world: an illustrated encyclopedia of weapons, warriors and warfare in the ancient civilisations of Greece and Rome by John Gibson Warry
The Punic Wars by Adrian Goldsworthy
the Gods of Ancient Rome: religion in every day life from archaic to imperial time by Robert Turcan
Ancient Greece from prehistoric to Hellenistic times by Thomas R. Martin
Thermopylae: battle for the west by Ernle Bradford
the ancient mysteries: a sourcebook: sacred texts of the mystery religions of the ancient mediterranean world by Marvin Meyers
I probably miswrote some of the names of the authors since i had to decipher some of my own writings (because i wrote it in a hurry down)
valete
Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:05 am

Salve Tiberi

Taylors' I think is a standard work on the subject. I find it still being cited. A little dated perhaps but a good start to go deeper into Roman politics for someone in the undergrad level. Syme's too might be considered a standard, first published in 1939. In a way Gruen, in 1974, was writing against the views of Syme. Gruen's views conflict with the opinions I have long held, so I am finding him most interesting. I had picked up these three because I did think them standards in Roman politics of the Late Republic and they are are at about the level I should be reading for this topic.

Stewart's book on the use of lottery in assignment within the oligarchy I found revealing in other areas of interest to me. I would like to go back over it in more depth and go through some of her sources. I have to some extent with her quotes from Livy.

Brennan's book on the Praetorship I have come across and would like to see. A bit over my resources, so I shall have to try to locate it through interlibrary loan.

Vale
Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:13 am

Salve Romule

Romulus Aurelius Orcus wrote:
the Gods of Ancient Rome: religion in every day life from archaic to imperial time by Robert Turcan

the ancient mysteries: a sourcebook: sacred texts of the mystery religions of the ancient mediterranean world by Marvin Meyers

Turcan's I enjoyed and would recommend. Turcan seems to me to have a unique insight into the Religio Romana that I do not find in other authors. Most view the religio from outside, and generally from a Christian perspective, where Turcan offers a view more like a practitioner. The only thing I did not agree with in Turcan is in some places where he deferred to the opinion of Dumezil, with whom I think I have made clear by now that I do not agree with Dumezil.

Meyers' book I have for some quick reference. It is about the Greek culti deorum and the mystery religions. You should find it interesting.

Vale
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Return to General