Praeceptores

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Praeceptores

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:45 pm

Salvete!

A censor has the duty to appoint praeceptores. Those people have to guide new members around in our societas. Before the change of the regula some were appointed, but I do not know if this is still valid. I ask the present (old) praeceptores to re-subscribe :wink: .

By this way I would like to make a call for volunteers. If you want to become praeceptor, please respond to this message.

The duties of a praeceptor:
- They receive a message from the censores when a new member has subscribed and has been appointed to them.
- Praeceptores guide the member along by contacting the new member in private
- Praeceptores are the first to answer questions asked to him by his "pupil". Or to redirect those questions to the appropriate magistrate.
- A praeceptor is not a magistrate, and thus has no access to the senate.

It isn't a lot of work, usually a praeceptor gets a "pupil" once in two weeks. (unless our application-rate rises exponentially).

Candidates, step forward!

Locatus
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Re: Praeceptores

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:44 pm

Salve Locate,

Q. C. Locatus Barbatus wrote:A censor has the duty to appoint praeceptores. Those people have to guide new members around in our societas. Before the change of the regula some were appointed, but I do not know if this is still valid.

Yes. RF III.2.g.

In the last few months of my censorship I stopped asigning praeceptores, however, as Lupus and I felt that in most cases we didn't receive feedback. And we were still in the middle of our reorg, too. However, in essence it's a good practise, of course.

Q. C. Locatus Barbatus wrote:I ask the present (old) praeceptores to re-subscribe.

Hereby done. Sign me up ;).

Q. C. Locatus Barbatus wrote:...
- A praeceptor is not a magistrate, and thus has no access to the senate.

Rogatores are magistrates but have no Senate access. Any potential third aedilis wouldn't have Senate access either. And rectores are no magistrates but have Senate access. I'm not trying to be pedantic here, just pointing out, in my capacity as Iurisconsultus, that this statement isn't 100% accurate :).

Vale bene!
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:06 pm

Salve Locate

By this way I would like to make a call for volunteers. If you want to become praeceptor, please respond to this message.

Sign me up asswell
vale
Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Praeceptores

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:06 pm

Scripsit Locatus Barbatus:

> I ask the present (old) praeceptores to re-subscribe.

I am no longer a volunteer for this position. It was fun while it lasted (read: Try it, amici, you just might take to it!), but due to my rather delicate mental health, I no longer believe myself to be a good candidate for the post. >({(:-\

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:43 am

Chaírete censores,

please be clear with your Roman habbits, I am but a simple hospes from Hellas, visiting and studying under the hospitium of L. Pomponius Lupus, my friend and fellow scholar, and the maecenate of Cn. Dionysius Draco Invictus, a distant relative. Anyway, can magistrates and/or senatemembers volunteer. Not that I as a barbarus (as in 'bárbaros' in Latin, allthough I think the Hellens aren't considered Barbari ('Bárbaroi' to me) you wrighting to be Greek by origin. Do you know?) would find it to be appropriate to volunteer. (unless ofcourse, there would be a shortage, than I would return the favour of guiding me) I am though facinated by the Roman ways. (why else would we accutaly move to Roma) So tell me, good men, what's the deal?

may the Geek force be with you!

Héllenos
Anonymous

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:03 am

Salve,

Man, I feel like after the Latin Inquisition, I am becoming the Legal Inquisition, too! :p

Al. Dionysius Hellenos wrote:Chaírete censores,

please be clear with your Roman habbits, I am but a simple hospes from Hellas, visiting and studying under the hospitium of L. Pomponius Lupus, my friend and fellow scholar, and the maecenate of Cn. Dionysius Draco Invictus, a distant relative. Anyway, can magistrates and/or senatemembers volunteer. Not that I as a barbarus (as in 'bárbaros' in Latin, allthough I think the Hellens aren't considered Barbari ('Bárbaroi' to me) you wrighting to be Greek by origin. Do you know?) would find it to be appropriate to volunteer. (unless ofcourse, there would be a shortage, than I would return the favour of guiding me) I am though facinated by the Roman ways. (why else would we accutaly move to Roma) So tell me, good men, what's the deal?

It used to be the habit and rule here that the praeceptor-deal with the praeceptor ends after 6 months. After that period the person who has been guided may become praeceptor him/herself. However, I can't trace this rule back so it probably doesn't exist anymore. And if the censores have no problem with this, then I don't have a problem with it either :).

Go Hellenos! ;)

Vale bene,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:55 am

Salvete,

Everyone who is a member can become praeceptor. And I don't really see a need to 'end' preaceptor-ship after a certain period. If you are appointed to a certain new member, you can decide it yourself when the member is integrated enough to let him on his own. Six months do seem a bit long to me.

But don't think it is very intensive. Itroducing yourself and our society, answer questions... You don't have to visit the new member at home carrying a "welcome pack" :wink: .

A welcome pack... maybe somewhat a good idea.

Loc
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:05 pm

Salve Locate,

Q. C. Locatus Barbatus wrote:... You don't have to visit the new member at home carrying a "welcome pack" :wink:

Yeah. We appoint praeceptores, not stalkers! :D.

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Oh, yeah?

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:38 am

Draco scripsit:

> Yeah. We appoint praeceptores, not stalkers!

...et respondeo:

Well...except for the time you appointed that Wolf! >({|;-)

(BTW, my trouble with Praeceptin' was in the customer-service skill areas, not anything to do with Job Stress. It's a great gig if you can land it!)

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Nobody else?

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:44 pm

Salvete!

So far we have Draco, Lupus, Romulus and Alexander as praeceptores. Nobody else? I really would like to have some of our American members. Their english is a bit better (and a lot better when concerning mine) and we get a lot of applications from the US.

Most of the volunteers (as they are all belgians) speak/understand English, Dutch, French and German. Is there anyone who speaks spanish who wants to become praeceptor? I would be very happy to hear so, because spanish is one of the few world langugaes in which this societas isn't that strong.

Vale,

Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:58 pm

I am? Ok :P
Anonymous

Spanish

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:49 pm

I speak Spanish. I had not hitherto volunteered to be a praeceptor because I expect to be taking a new job soon and I was not sure how much time I will have available. But I would be glad to help with any new, Spanish-speaking members....

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

E viva Espagna!

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:03 pm

Thanks tergeste, you're most welcome. I will adress new spanish speaking members to you. But if you should get too busy with your new job (success!!!) let me know!

No obligation whatsoever!

Loc
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:15 pm

Salve Tergeste,

Success on the new job!

I'm going to use this as a shameless plug for my language projects with the site.

Is their anyone here competent enough in Poruguese and/or Italian to translate the first two levels of the site for me (meaning the main page and all pages - except the Ludi page - directly linked through it)?

Vale bene,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Greek, Greek, Greek, does he ever think about something else

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:42 pm

Chaîre polúglottos,

I don't know Italian, let alone Portuguese, but if you would be interested, I know a thing or two in Old and New Greek. So if you ever want to campaign in those parts :wink: I would be happy to translate.

it always has to be Greek with you!

Héllenos
Anonymous

Re: Greek, Greek, Greek, does he ever think about something

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:17 pm

Al. Dionysius Hellenos wrote:it always has to be Greek with you!

Were you adressing yourself in second person?

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Germanist inquisitor

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:06 pm

you certainly are a comprehesive fellow :P
Anonymous

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:16 pm

Publius Dionysius Mus Locato salutem

I am also still a volunteer to be praeceptor (yes, another Belgian...) :P

Let the new members come, I'll stalk...euhm...guide them!

:lol:

Optamo tibi bene valere
Publius Dionysius Mus

No Spartiate soul left alive to tell
How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
(Ancient Rites - Thermopylae)
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

Return to General