charity

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

charity

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:15 pm

Salvete
during an chatsession with one of the stafmembers of the white house, this person said that pagans don't get involved with charity because- well he implied that we didn't care much about- and that it was more of a christian thing.
Now there is a charity run by pagans circling around and it is based on the principle: teach a man to fish and he will have food. Basicly we want to provide the people with certain animals so that they can provide themselves. The website of this charity event is here: http://www.winterscapes.com/charity.htm
This is in no way spam and if you don't want to donate some money, you don't have to visit this webpage. But if you go Winterscapes website, you will find some excellent info on Dionysos and other hellenic related stuff.
valete optime
Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

An Analogue

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:44 am

Sounds a bit like the Heifer Project, which I have supported for many years. A certain size donation will buy an animal (or a group of them) ranging from bees to cattle and llamas. In between are chickens, goats, sheep, swine, rabbits...you name it, if it's been raised for milk or meat, you can probably get one to a poor community through the Heifer Project. As far as I know it's completely secular...

I don't mention it to steal your thunder, but rather as a possible source of advice, experience and inspiration for your own effort. I'm a big believer in not reinventing the wheel.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:24 am

Salve
I didn't came up with this. This was not my reinvention of the wheel as you put it. This was put up by Oenoechoe who is on various Hellenic pagan lists.
vale
Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Chill.

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:48 am

Again, my post was not a criticism, either open or implied. It was and is meant as a source of information and maybe resources, for whoever is running the newer charity. All I said was, Someone's been doing something similar for rather longer, and you (as in Oenoechoe and friends) might want to at least contact them and compare notes.

Then again, you might not. Not everything I see as useful to another person will actually prove to be so. You have the info; do with it as you like.

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to General