Happy New Year!

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Happy New Year!

Postby Tarquinius Dionysius on Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:01 pm

Happy New Year to everyone! :party:
Tarquinius Dionysius
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:17 pm

Bona Fortuna et salvete sodales omnes

Anima felix et faustus vivant
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:37 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

My best wishes for the new year for all our members and their families!

Valete bene
Publius Dionysius Mus

No Spartiate soul left alive to tell
How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
(Ancient Rites - Thermopylae)
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:19 pm

From Wichita, KS: To all a Very Happy New Year!!! :D
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Censor, Curator
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:19 pm

Happy New Year to everyone. I hope everyone will hold on to their good vows ;).

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:54 am

I know i'm late with this but suffering from a severe hangover from drinking to much wine yesterday prevented me to reach my pc. Anyway i wish you all a happy new year and may 2004 prove to a good year for everyone.
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Bonum Novum Annum

Postby C.AeliusEricius on Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:29 pm

A tad tardy, but one counting of the Roman year starts with Agonalia, so there's still time.

Bene valete.
C. Aelius Ericius.
C.AeliusEricius
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Even Later!

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:12 am

Salvete omnes...!

Yes, only Marius could come up with a reply to a thread entitled "Happy New Year!" in the middle of August. As if that weren't delayed enough, he's been carrying this little gem around for the last decade, just waiting for the right spot to bless with it. This comes from a membership-store newsletter called the FEDCO Reporter, which was always full of such anecdotes. This one's from the December '93 issue.

Enjoy...! >({|;-)

**** PASADENA'S AMAZING CHARIOT RACES ****

- - - - - - - - - by Carla Kallan - - - - - - - - -

What sport do you associate with the Pasadena [CA] Tournament of Roses? Football, no doubt. But had you lived in Los Angeles in the early 1900s, you would have associated it with--believe it or not--chariot races.

Indeed, from 1904 to 1916, chariot racing was the event of choice at the Tournament of Roses. Football had already been tried in 1902. First, there had been a stampede, as 8,500 people fought to get into Tournament Park. Then, Stanford University lost a less than rousing game with the University of Michigan by a score of 49 to 0. Finally, the city of Pasadena was festooned in blue and gold decorations--close to Michigan's colors. Some angry Stanford fans tore down the pennants and streamers.

By 1904, the Tournament of Roses, founded by Charles Holder and Dr. Francis Rowland, was actively seeking some sporting event to attract nationwide attention. Holder thought he had the answer, having recently read the book Ben Hur. "That book gives us the idea we need for our festival," he concluded. "Let us stage a true Roman chariot race; it will make modern history." And so the races began.

The 1904 contest featured two double-wheeled Roman chariots, each pulled by a team of four horses. A veteran horseman easily defeated an amateur competitor, Ed Off. The race was a great success, and Off vowed to return for next year's match. In 1905, Off was indeed back, up against a widely known hotel owner. Off held an early lead, but lost control of his horses as they roared around a curve. As they continued to run away in panic, an unknown horseman headed them off. The crowd of 12,000 spectators thunderously voiced their approval at this daring rescue.

In 1912, the chariots of two contenders bumped, in a near-disastrous collision, and people began to realize that chariot racing might be too dangerous. Furthermore, while the prize for first place was seldom over $1,000, it cost about $5,000 to train a team of horses for the event. The sport had become too expensive.

Chariot racing continued in 1913, but animal racing was now also popular. There was an ostrich race, and a race between an elephant and a camel. The elephant won.

New Year's Day, 1915, marked the last running of the chariot races. Although chariot enthusiast Ed Off continued to praise his sport as the greatest entertainment since the days of Rome, Tournament co-founder Dr. Rowland decided to go back to football.

But it's amazing to realize that--however briefly--the sport of emperors was a part of Pasadena culture.

I have just a couple of silly comments and I'll be on my way...
-- Those who were surprised that the races could be dangerous had obviously not done their homework;
-- It seems to me that the chariots attracted a better-behaved crowd than the football games;
-- I think the sport could have become self-supporting if people had been allowed to bet on the races; and
-- Perhaps "Ed Off" was not the most propitious name for a man who races horses. [wink]

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to General