Happy birthday Societas Via Romana!!

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Happy birthday Societas Via Romana!!

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:42 pm

Salvete omnes Romani!

Today is a joyous day, because the SVR celebrates its third birthday. I thank everyone by whose work and dedication the Societas has steadily grown in quality, recognition and has made this a pleasant place to be for all involved. There are few web communities that can say this, and I hope that we may remain this way.

In no particular order, I would also like to personally thank Atticus, Lupus, Curio, Locatus, Mus, Tergestus, Piscinus, Coruncanius, Mencius, frater Tiberius, Romulus, Marius, Garrulus, Lentulus, Q. Marius, Brutus and possibly many others I have forgotten to mention but whose contributions and mere presence in our community I appreciate. I hope that they will all stay with us. I would also like to take some time to remember one of our co-founders, Silvanius. Although he's not here anymore, without him the Societas might not exist today. I would also like to remember our consular Xantippe Helia, who fizzled into thin air last year but whom many of us hope might come back someday. And lastly, I would like to welcome all new members to the Societas and hope that it continues to attract new members.

We've come quite a way already. In the past three years, SVR underwent many evolutions. Our website continuously expanded - and became nicer to look at ;), we had a practical trimming in our institutions and our regulations in different phases and we also saw the rise of the Latin Inquisition. In September 2002 we took the big step of making our main community focus a message board rather than a newsgroup, which I think also proved to be a good evolution.

But of course, there's still more. There's always more to do. The world of Antiquity is so vast that quite probably we still won't have covered everything in a decade. And every now and then I'm still amazed at how surprisingly modern Antiquity can be, in many, many facets. History is not just a rear-view mirror...

Valete bene!
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:36 pm

:party:
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:42 pm

All day, I've been racking my brains over how I could somehow show my joy over this birthday without simply typing a silly "hooray" posting. Now why, by Hercules, didn't I think of balloons ? :lol:

Well, perhaps it is anachronistic, but nevertheless, Tiberi, you gave me an idea :

Valete,

Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:18 pm

When we're at it, ladies and gents.... :wine: !

I think that we are doing well in our Societas... So, many thanks to all out there for the hard work, good conversations, and I am sure that there is even more where all that came from! 8)

Live long and prosperous! :wink:

Vale bene
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:13 pm

Salvete
Congratulations are in order for everyone for their hard work.
:party: :D :D
Our work does pay off in the long run, so lets just keep it up.
Now PARRTYY, its on the house. :D
valete

Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

ARF!!

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:12 am

Salvete omnes sodales...

(I was going to say 'amici', but realized to my delight that these were the same thing!)

The best things I can think of to say about the Societas Viae Romanae are simple, but run very deep:
-- I am greatly enjoying the company of all assembled;
-- and, I like it here.

Considering the length and depth of my humiliation at the hands of a certain other Roman entity, that I can utter any two such statements is a sign that my recovery is going well, indeed! For when I came here I thought myself too shattered to say those things to anyone, about anything.

Profundas et multibus gratias vobis ago.

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:04 pm

Salvete mi amici et amicae! Vosque bona Iuppiter auctet ope

Felices natalis sodales!

Focus on developing our community is what has made SVR what it has become, sometimes, it seems, at the expense of serious study of the ancient world :wink: Throughout its evolution, everything else has taken second place to maintaining its friendly atmosphere. That we have managed to do so is a credit to all our members. My thanks to all sodales for giving me a place to enjoy.

Several of our members may be mentioned for developing one aspect or another of our societas, a blend of diverse people and interests. I join with Draco in remembering our conditor Slivanius, and especially Xanthippe who contributed so greatly to the atmosphere of friendship we had under her consulship. Oh, and then there's that Locatus fellow who haunts our collegia :? Can't even provide a decent wine for our symposium, and
no ancillae, Locate, with which to dance! I've been treated better at the hands of the Latin Inquisition, and might as well become one of Mencius' Chinese monks spending my nights watching reruns of Romulus Felix in the Circus. In mala crucem, Damnator! Vive Purpurea! And no less mention should be given to our newest members who have thought well enough of our societas to join, believing that they, too, have found a friendly community in which to share. Maximus gratias vobis ago. Optime vobis omnes

In amicitas
Dique Deaeque semper vos bene ament.
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:13 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SVR! Free drinks on Draco! 8)

Draco and Piscinus have covered most of those who need mentioning, but I must ask one question: Mi Piscine, did you really use smileys in that last post of yours? :P

I too remember both Silvanius and Xanthippe, but I also remember:
Marius being placed next to a soda fountain;
Draco pointing out that a Roman would know nothing of a 19th century statue;
Lupus being an "apprentice" werewolf;
Discussing music with Tiberius and Tarquinius;
Getting drunk with Locatus, despite his protestations that he hasn't been drunk in 3 years :P ;
Being bewildered by our local hoplite's Greek vernacular;
Having fascinating discussions on the subject of everything, with everyone here;

long may the good times continue!

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:29 pm

Marcus Scribonius Curio wrote:I too remember both Silvanius and Xanthippe, but I also remember:
Marius being placed next to a soda fountain;
Draco pointing out that a Roman would know nothing of a 19th century statue;
Lupus being an "apprentice" werewolf;
Discussing music with Tiberius and Tarquinius;
Getting drunk with Locatus, despite his protestations that he hasn't been drunk in 3 years :P ;
Being bewildered by our local hoplite's Greek vernacular;
Having fascinating discussions on the subject of everything, with everyone here

This should be printed and stuck to my bedroom wall. Literal LMAO. :lol:

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:00 pm

Salvete,

Three years, this calls for a celebration *sticks finger in the air and waves it around* Woo, I say, Woo indeed. 8)

A big "Thank You" to everyone who helped making this a great place, with an atmosphere like this, things are looking good for the future !

Perhaps we could have another chat-session to celebrate as well ? It has been a while since the last one and there are quite some new members since then.

Valete bene !

Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:19 pm

Perhaps we could have another chat-session to celebrate as well ? It has been a while since the last one and there are quite some new members since then.

A véry good idea indeed. What about next saturday at 9 PM Roma time ? Would that fit for our American members as well ?

Valete,

Atticus,
preparing his mulsum already
Praetor

Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:05 pm

Salvete

Marcus Scribonius Curio wrote:Mi Piscine, did you really use smileys in that last post of yours? :P

Rare for me to use such frivolities, Curio? May a Celtic wench take that barbarian staff of yours and put it up where it belongs. Rotate ;^p

Good thing I'm not wearing my sandals right now. Maybe I can figure out when that chat will be. See you there.

Valete
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:08 pm

Salvete,

Perhaps a reminder will not hurt : tonight, at 9 PM Roma Time : SVR chat. An ideal opportunity for our new members and the 'old crew' to get to know each other. There will be delicious wine, innumerable snacks and Egyptian dance-girls. If you take them with you to your computer-desk, that is :lol:

One place to be : http://www.societasviaromana.org/chat_english.htm

Valete and see you then !

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

Senator
Senator

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:51 pm

Dammit I appear to have missed it. Did it go well? What did y'all discuss? And what did you say about me behind my back? 8)

In egotism,
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:13 am

Salve Curio,

Well, before I joined the chat Pisc and Tergestus were discussing animals. We later turned to genocides, war and music. Appearently I'm a butthead because I don't know who the Bare Naked Ladies are, and Atticus was greedily delving into chicken-and-egg-discussions. We had a little chat about our exams too.

Perhaps next time, someone ought to make a transcript? Just an idea. Although it may not be very interesting to others to read our blabbering.

When I left Atticus and Lupus were still there. Perhaps they talked about you, I don't know :).

Vale!
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:05 pm

Salvete,

Indeed, few members appear to have read the announcement for the chat yesterday in time.

Maybe we can try again another day. What would you all think of next sunday ? And what hour would you suggest ?

Valete,

Atticus
Praetor

Senator
Senator

Happy...

Postby Anonymous on Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:39 pm

Salvete omnes ,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SVR !

Aulus :party:
Anonymous

Postby Curio Agelastus on Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:59 am

Salvete,

Next Sunday is good. As for times, I could do either 9:00 or 10:00 GMT. How does that sit with everyone else?

Bene valete,
Rector ColHis, Senator

Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:55 pm

Salvete

Should I bring my bag of smilies Curio? 3:00PM EDT tomorrow then
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:36 am

Salve Piscine,

Bring any smilies you want, and leave any you don't like behind.
Will anyone else be joining us?
Rector ColHis, Senator

Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Next

Return to General