Sextus Aurelius Victor's 'Liber di Caesaribus'

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Sextus Aurelius Victor's 'Liber di Caesaribus'

Postby Marcus Ulpius Trajanus on Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:41 pm

Salve,

I need access to a copy of Sextus Aurelius Victor's 'Liber Di Caesaribus'. Does anyone know where I can find a copy on the 'net in English?

Vale bene,

Marcus Ulpius Trajanus
Marcus Ulpius Trajanus

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:48 pm

Salve Coruncani,

Salvere iubeo Marcus Ulpius!

I can't let the Latin Inquisition do all the work around here, so I'll fill in for him, "Marcus Ulpius" should be "Marcum Ulpium", because it's the object of "salvere". The translation of what you wrote would be: "I, Marcus Ulpius, must greet" :wink:

Vale bene
Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:26 pm

Salve iterum Coruncani,

Well, I looked it up in a dictionary, because you never know with these idiomatic phrases, and among many expressions with "iubeo", there was :

"iubeo aliquem salvere" : "to greet someone", apparently you can even leave out the "salvere" and still have the same meaning, "Iubeo Marcum" would be "I greet Marcus" as well as "Iubeo Marcum salvere". You were right about the meaning, but the one you greet should be in accusative, using a nominative is only used for the one doing the action, in this case, for the one who is greeting.

And while we're at it : "iubeo aliquem valere" is used to say goodbye to someone (cf : "vale bene")

Iubeo Coruncanium valere :wink:
Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Postby Marcus Ulpius Trajanus on Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:35 pm

Salve Ti. Coruncanius,

Thanks very much for the information. I think I would have to go with the text by Bird.

Now, I just have to find myself a copy of the Chronicon Gallia in English, and a copy of Prosper Tiro's Chronicle in English, and I'll be fine (both of those will more than likely be impossible to get hold of).

Thanks again,

Marcus Ulpius Trajanus
Marcus Ulpius Trajanus

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:46 pm

Salve Marce Ulpi!

Marcus Ulpius Trajanus wrote:Salve Ti. Coruncanius

When you directly address someone, the vocative case should be used, in this case "Ti. Coruncani".

Oh and I don't mean to nitpick, but the Romans didn't have the <j>. The sound [j] existed in Latin (and as such, it is sometimes used in modern transcription) but most modern Latin grammars and textbooks have reverted to using the <i>, as it really was in Latin.

LOL, this topic is becoming confisquated by the Latin Inquisition once more. I think, by the way, that it would be fairer to give Lupus the title since he is the only one among us still actively studying Latin (and much more proficient at it).

Anyway, sorry for the disturbance, carry on, good gentlemen!

Cura ut valeas,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Return to General