OT: debate

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

OT: debate

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:57 pm

Salvete

I know this might be slightly off topic, but I was interested in hearing other peoples opinions on the presidential debate thursday night.
To me, Kerry had the upperhand in this debate and Bush was repetitive and at times irritated and annoyed with it. It was like he didn't appreciate the questions, nor the answers Kerry was giving.
Kerry on the other hand was more relaxed, straightforward and kept to the point. He did not hesitate as much as Bush did when replying to Kerry's answers or the questions. In my opinion, Kerry did OK in this debate and if he keeps this up in the following two debates, he might have a shot at the white house in november.
valete

Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:33 am

I also think Kerry looked good although I will vote for Bush. The party I
belong to won't field a Presidental canidate until 2008. I am a registered
Republican but, have recently joined the America First Party. Right now
I really don't like either canidate but, because of the way Bush has
handled the "War on Terror" I'll vote for him. About Iraq, Bush is
at least correct about one thing. Let's fight the terrorist's over there and not in the streets here.

Gnae
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Censor, Curator
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:09 am

Salvete omnes,

I do propose that we do not start a discussion about the presidential elections here. Strong differences of opinion may exist between sodales of this organisation, and it would be a pity if an off-topic discussion would disrupt the good atmosphere here.

Perhaps we can shift the topic to a less controversial question though : what are the similarities and differences in political oratory, running for office, propaganda techniques etc. between the Roman and the American Republic ?

Valete bene,

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:01 pm

Salve Attice

Maybe a good idea. I don't know that much on the background of Roman politics, but it does seem that Romans used slander against their opponent to try to influence the election. Did the Romans used their track record n politics and on the battlefield to make themselves more believeble, mroe convincing as the right man for the job?

vale

Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:23 pm

Salve Orce,

The Romans certainly did use their past achievements and record, whether on the battlefield, the law courts, or indeed in the curule chair, to make themselves appeal more to the masses. The same goes for the achievements of their relatives and ancestors. Look at Caesar's displaying of the image of Marius; even decades later, Marius still had the same popular appeal, because of his superb military record.

Equally, people like Cicero would have made good use of their excellent reputation in the law courts.

I think it's fairly certain that people would have made use of their past achievements to make themselves seem more believable; it's the only logical thing to do.

Bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:28 pm

Salvete,

If I may, I don't mind discussing contemporary world politics with the other members of this board. We had discussions on the death penalty and gun ownership at collegium philosophicum too, and they both went fairly mature. So why not give it a try? A topic about Roman elections should belong in collegium historicum anyway.

Like most Western Europeans, I am not a supporter of the Bush administration. This is not based on a vague anti-americanism, but actual facts. Bush and his people have by far accumulated the worst administration record in decades -- and this hasn't got anything to do with political preferences. Even if you are a conservative, I don't think it's a good idea to vote for Bush, because you are basically voting against your own interests. That said, however, I don't think Kerry, if elected, will work miracles. The problem with American politics, from where I sit, runs far deeper and can't be solved by either Republicans or Democrats on a short-term.

Valete,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Return to General