Marius' thread!

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Postby Curio Agelastus on Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:19 am

Salve amice,

Welcome back! Don't worry, you haven't missed much, life appears to be taking the time of too many SVR members at the moment...

A shrine? That's not something many people can boast... Maybe you should give her the go ahead. :lol: It would certainly make an interesting conversation piece...

Bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:08 pm

Salve care Mari

Excellent! :D I never cared for Dallas and it hasn't proven beneficial for you. Even though you are moving to that wasteland where Ericius makes his home, California has to be better than that swamp east of Dallas. So where abouts is Fort Irwin?

Habe bonam fortunam et vade in Deo
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

The Oracle

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:15 am

Oh, you sillies...and I mean that in the friendliest possible way. >({|:-)

Actually, I am not myself the Oracle; I am only Its Keeper. The Oracle is the portable retrocomputer formerly known as "The 386 that Rules the Earth." This machine, affectionately dubbed "my Lappie" or "External Brain", was built by AST eleven years ago and still works. It has been in a state of semi-retirement since its CMOS battery died; but I still consult the Ancient Oracle now and again, especially when I need to access my older stuff. (I am using it now, actually, as the cable for my newer laptop decided to remain at Ma's house; booting up after the first time required only a standard Tech Ritual, not the Extended variety.)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Where?

Postby Anonymous on Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:58 am

Alas, here it is finals week. I have been so overwhelmed this semester
I've scarceley had a chance to visit here. My last final is Tomorrow.
Anonymous

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:01 am

Good luck with your last final then, Britannice !

Vale,

Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Where Wolf?

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:10 am

Salvete omnes!

In response to the query that heads this topic, I report that old Marius is now in his new residence in the High Desert of California. Evidently he's back online as of tonight, too...! [wink]

The move was an exceptionally-trying experience and I shall be a little while recovering. I arrived two days before Christmas/Yule/Sunreturn, and the Army moved my folks out to the base two days after the same festival. Mater only just this morning was able to retrieve the last of her cats, all of whom had made themselves very scarce when the packers came!

At last, after two weeks here, I've got the house to myself. There is no more need for me to restrain my little dogs lest they keep someone's kitty from coming home.

I'm gonna go plotz now...

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:12 am

Salve Mari,

Welcome back! Be aware that we all expect 84 posts a day for the next week to make up for your absence. 8)

Bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus.
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Sez Who??

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:43 am

Salve, amice bon'...!

Dixit Curio:

> Welcome back! Be aware that we all expect 84 posts a day for the next week to make up for your absence.

Not a chance, pal. I've worked hard to attain the rank of (Board) Centurion. I intend to savor it awhile! >({|;-)

(Besides, when did I ever post 84 messages in any three-week period?? --You forget, care baro, these things make my fingers hurt!)

Laetus,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:27 am

Entschuldigung für meine Abwesenheit die letzte Tagen, ich habe hier so viel Arbeit und bin wirklich so Müde... so müde das ich auch nicht mehr in English denken kann.

Locatus
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Absentia confirmed...

Postby Marius on Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:43 pm

(This is my other login.)

(The one that works at least sometimes.)

Avete sodales...

I have been having immense difficulties either getting or staying on the SVR Board. This state of affairs is exquisitely (some might say excruciatingly) documented on the Aediles thread. It's been this way for a few weeks now, which is why I have been scarce. So, now that I've gotten on and into the Forum today, I am posting this belated notice to my RP conlusores and other Romani amici to explain my absence, and to alert them to the strong possibility that it may continue for a little while longer.

I do not know if it's my system, the Board, or some unhappy collision between the two. But as soon as it's resolved, I shall most certainly be bouncing off the walls again. >({|:-)

In fide (arf!),
Last edited by Marius on Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:30 pm

Salve Mari,

Have you tried using a different browser : IE / Firefox ?

Vale, and be back soon !

Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Back! (I think)

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:41 am

Avete Romani...

New (experimental) browser/connection setup. So far I've been to all the Collegiae, changed some info in my Profile, and am now posting this message.

And so far it's holding...! >({|:-)

(Mi Draco: what's good, compact street-Latin for 'keeping my fingers crossed' or 'knock on wood'?)

In amicitia et spes...
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:35 pm

Salve mi Mari,

Nice to see you here again, I really missed your witty entries at this forum. As nice as all this modern technology is if it's not working like you want it to work then it s****

I do keep my fingers crossed for you that your experiment with the new browser/connection will work out and look forward to see you here regularly again.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Back! (I think)

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:53 pm

Salve mi amice

Aldus Marius wrote:(Mi Draco: what's good, compact street-Latin for 'keeping my fingers crossed' or 'knock on wood'?)

The interjection Mehercule would be comparable, or if you wanted to be more specific then Di prohibeant.... You might try to burn some incense to Mercurius, but not too close to your 'puter as it gunks up the wiring. Although I have seen some art deco depictions of Diana as the goddess of telecommunications. Maybe you should offer to both. Oh, and for you, mi Mari, there is a prayer said by a particular Catholic order each time they go on line, reminding them of the Christian virtues of patience and mild speech so that they don't take it out on the 'puter when the connection misses.

Vale optime et bonam habe fortunam
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Back! (I think)

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:08 am

Salvete amici/ae! I done it again!

Mi Aelia, if mine ain't workin' the way I want it to I generally dismantle things and rabidly tweak them until it is workin' the way I want it to. My tech skills read like the bill of fare at a dentist's office: everything from file extractions to root access to hardware implants. Which is why this particular situation was driving me nuts(er). I called tech support to see if there was anything obvious I might have overlooked (it happens!), or any alternate ways of working things. I ended up explaining the difference between a browser and an Internet service to this gal in Calcutta (I'm guessing), and telling her things about her ISP's browser that she never knew before and still denies. Maybe next time I'll have their tech support call me...

Nevertheless, she did suggest the strange-but-true configuration I'm running now. It's not ideal but it works. Therefore I am keeping the aforementioned fingers crossed and knocking on said wood (see, Mehercule really doesn't do either concept justice).

Mi Pisci, I shall indeed stand in need of the prayers of that Catholic order. But fear not for my mildness of speech in times of computational frustration; it is rather my readiness with the screwdriver that keeps my poor machine in line most days. The bucket of floppies (for a projected full system backup) is reassuring to my files; the threat of converting to Linux keeps Win98 from growing complacent; and IE is running like a champ since its likely successor, Opera, appeared on my desktop and commenced glowering over its shoulder.

Any of the above fixes will provide ample opportunity for Marius to exercise his Patience! >({|;-)

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Advisory

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:15 am

[A notice to members of the Collegium Religionum who may have been reading or participating in the Asatruar discussion, in which Rector Q Aurelius Orcus has just posted a new set of Forum guidelines:]

(Nota bene: This is being posted here because it is off-topic for the discussion in question.)

Salve, Orce Rector:

Those sound like a very comprehensive set of rules [for the CollRel]; I can't think of a thing to add to them. Good thinking!

I did want to give you a heads-up, lest I be mistaken for a Troll: When I was having so many logon difficulties with the Board several weeks ago, I did create another account under the handle " MariPere' ". This was done in the early troubleshooting stages, when I thought the problem might be just my "Aldus Marius" account. I told the Aediles I was doing this, and even made a public announcement to the Board.

So for anyone who didn't already know this, Aldus Marius and MariPere' are the same gent, and if one logon crashes I am quite likely to hop back on with the other. This is not done with any intent to deceive, but to maintain communication with the SVR community.

Here as elsewhere, it seems, members having multiple handles may make some people nervous. I apologize for that if such is the case, but there is no way to delete the extra account (that I know of) without also deleting the posts written under that name. For myself, I feel that it is not the number of handles that makes a Troll, but what s/he does with them once logged-in.

I almost posted this somewhere else, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with Asatruar. >({|:-)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:35 am

Salve Mari

Don't worry. There will exceptions be made for people who are active and do participate in the discussions, this will not really apply.
Although the rule comes from a e-maillist, I don't know how it can be used here. I think that is a question for the Aedilles to answer if they think this rule can be used here at the forum.
vale

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

My Imminent Demotion

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:51 am

Salvete omnes...

Well, I stretched it out as long as I could. I made my rank of Board-Centurion last and last. I was aided by technical malfunctions that kept me from accessing the Forum for a month. But I didn't get this far without learning to take a hit...

...so, with this 'Send' button, I hereby submit myself to the embarrassment--the humiliation--of a demotion from senior NCO to very-junior officer, from Master Sergeant to Second Looie...

...I now appoint me Tribunus Angusticlavus.

* gulps *
* is brave *

Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:47 am

Be strong, good Centurio. Be strong...

Besides you can always do some of my duties if you really want. 8)
Rector ColHis, Senator

Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

New job description?

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:50 am

Salve et gratias, mi Curio....

...Well, I'd hesitate to run your character for you; but, other'n that...what else do you do around here, anyway? >({|;-)

** takes off running, hopefully outpacing any thrown objects **

In extreme amicitia--no, Really!!! *~(ouch)~*,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

PreviousNext

Return to General