[Concilium] SVR : Identity, Nature, Goals, and Principia

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:44 pm

I don't think that it would be difficult to correct the name of SVR. As Marius pointed out, there are scripts that can accomplish global changes. As for the URL, it would be easy to create a new URL for Societas Viae Romanae and then have the original URL redirect traffic there.
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Curio Agelastus on Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:43 pm

Would it not be a bit too much trouble for a minor correction?

I agree with the need for a new, concise Regula. That said, I think this sudden tendency towards being just a group of friends might end up reducing activity here. If we are to continue discussions here, it seems that we need constant injections of new blood. Each of us has only so many question we can ask, only so many opinions on a matter. The matter of attracting new active members, still stands, therefore.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:56 pm

I disagree with you, mi Curi.

We look like less than a serious organization if we can't even get our name right. I'm sure that uncharitable individuals have made fun of us because of this error. I don't see it as a minor correction.

Emphasizing education, enjoyment, and friendship does not mean that we would become an exclusive society. More friends mean more friendship!

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:24 pm

Curio Agelastus wrote:Would it not be a bit too much trouble for a minor correction?

I agree with the need for a new, concise Regula. That said, I think this sudden tendency towards being just a group of friends might end up reducing activity here. If we are to continue discussions here, it seems that we need constant injections of new blood. Each of us has only so many question we can ask, only so many opinions on a matter. The matter of attracting new active members, still stands, therefore.

Approach the Academia Thules after our reforms could be a good first step towards that end.

Apart from that, I will open another topic in this concilium concerning the question how to attract new members, as I think that's an important thing to deal with after our reform.

Vale,

Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Concise (for once)

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:22 am

Salvete magistri,

> Would it not be a bit too much trouble for a minor correction?

Amici: Nothing that happens at the front desk is "minor." Ask any corporate receptionist or customer-service rep.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:08 am

Fair enough, point taken Tergeste et Mari - it's not such a minor problem. But would it not be too much trouble to move the entire website to sort it?

Bene valete,
Curio.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Q Valerius on Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:30 am

I really don't think there is a need to change the name. In fact, despite being incorrect grammar, I kind of like it. Seems simpler to me. Let's keep the name as it is and move on to what's more important.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:49 pm

Salvere

Yes, Scerio, we do seem to moving away from more important things.

Since in the one string their was discussion over the role of the comitia and the full body of sodales, and discussion on whether and when to hold a census....

What will distinguish a sodalis?

Are sodales just anyone who subscribe to our fora?
Is a sodalis someone who subscribes to the fora and asks to counted among the sodales (something like we have been doing)?

What obligations do we place on sodales? They will have to register once a year for the registration/census. Do they have to post, vote in elections, contribute to the website? Anything beyond what a subscriber to the fora might be required?

What rights then? Vote, hold office, initiative in the comitia, right to propose recall of curator/curatrices, submit contribution essays to the website, yadda yadda yadda

Perhaps we need to get some of this down solid as we look at other things.

Valete
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:59 pm

As we do not (and, i.m.o., should not) control who's joining our forum, I suggest that we count as a sodalis someone who subscribes to the fora and asks to counted among the sodales, by submitting an application form. We should clearly communicate on our website and forum the difference between a 'guest' and a 'full member' of S.V.R.

I think we should not put obligations on sodales, although we might want to communicate to them the 'expectations' S.V.R. has of its members (such as posting, voting etc.).

A (bi-)annual census would sift actively interested members from those no longer interested. During the census, we could also offer to our 'guests' the possibility of becoming members (although they could apply at any other time they like).

As for rights, I think they should have all rights Horatius proposed : "to Vote, hold office, initiative in the comitia, right to propose recall of curator/curatrices, submit contribution essays to the website, yadda yadda yadda".

Those 'rights' are exactly the reason why I wish to maintain a division between members and non-members : I don't want people that we don't know and can't track if abuses occur, to enjoy the prerogatives of a full member.

Valete,

Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:16 pm

Salvete Omnes,

Maybe we could write it like that:

Societas "Via Romana"

Saying in English Society "Roman Way" instead of Society of the Roman Way, so to say using "Via Romana" as a name on itself instead of using the whole thing as a name because in that case the "Via Romana" has to be in genitiv. Hard to explain what I mean, but I hope I made it somehow clear. But with this solution we don't need to think about a new domain.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:00 am

Cleopatra Aelia wrote:Salvete Omnes,

Maybe we could write it like that:

Societas "Via Romana"

Saying in English Society "Roman Way" instead of Society of the Roman Way, so to say using "Via Romana" as a name on itself instead of using the whole thing as a name because in that case the "Via Romana" has to be in genitiv. Hard to explain what I mean, but I hope I made it somehow clear. But with this solution we don't need to think about a new domain.

I thought it was already like that - "Roman Way Society". But again, is this really important now?!?
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:33 pm

I like Cleopatria's idea too.

Instead of quotation marks, let's use italics.

Societas Via Romana

instead of

Societas "Via Romana"

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Previous

Return to Comitia