Italian Province

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Italian Province

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:15 pm

Our new sodalis, Marcus Salix Corax, has suggested the creation of a new Province for sodales of Italian descent. Membership would not be dependent on residence in Italy. And frankly, sodales having an interest in Italic studies or who wish to practice their Italian would welcome although they might lack Italian blood.

As I recall, the new Regulae make no provision for Provinces, but they don't prohibit them either. The Provincia Belgica keeps up a healthy, if episodic, conversation.

What do you think? Should we allow such affinity provinces? How many sodales would be interested in joining an Italian province?

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Re: Italian Province

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:58 pm

Salve

Primus Aurelius Tergestus wrote:What do you think? Should we allow such affinity provinces? How many sodales would be interested in joining an Italian province?

Me, I'd be interested.

Having a "provincia" board where Italian would be the primary language, or one for German or any other language, might be a good idea. New members who doubt their English skills might feel more comfortable posting to such boards instead, and that might introduce new members and new information into our societas. A board for Italian would be especialy helpful as it could inform us of recent archaeological work in Italy that hadn't been posted in English to the net. That is the case with information on the Italic tribes - an interest of mine and one that is related to Roman studies. Whether such a new board would attract new members to SVR would be an experiment, but one, I think, that may be worth trying.

We had planned to have our website translated into Italian and never did so because we didn't have someone available with the time and/or ability. This needs to be corrected. It should go hand in hand with creating a provincia for l'Italia.

Vale
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:19 am

I still think a section should be for speaking Latin only - a Latin District, perhaps?
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Provincia?

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:46 am

Salvete omnes...

..Oh, dear. And I just up and told the newbie that our only Provincia so far was/is based on residence and willingness/ability to meet in RL from time to time. >({(:-)

I wouldn't be against an Italian (or Spanish, or Polish...or Chinese, if Mencius can swing it! <g>) forum (section of the Board) based on heritage and language. I think we'd want to sound out the Sodales for their interest in such a thing, however. If only three people want it, and we set it up (not hard to do), and two of them go on final exams and forget to come back, where are we then?

The Collegium Linguarum Antiquarum, and before it the Collegium Latinum, have tried several times to set up a Latin-only thread. Indeed, nothing's keeping anyone who wants to from starting one now. But every single time we've tried it, it has petered out after just a few exchanges, mostly amongst our two or three actual Latin-proficient people and another half-dozen or so who only post (in English) to say their Latin isn't strong enough to carry a conversation.

It's not just the SVR. The same has happened in every other Roman- or Latin-flavored group I've ever been in. A lot of it is simple shyness and awkwardness; but a measure of blame must be placed on the educational system, most places. Universities teach people how to read Latin, not speak it or compose in it. So when a third-year Latin student joins us, he often realizes that, while he can quote Horace an epistle at a time, he can't give directions to the bus stop. Feh, as Curio might say...but I reckon that's why we don't have a Latin thread.

The new Regula does not mention provinciae at all; but Hey, it doesn't mention Collegia either, yet we have them--indeed, we would not have an SVR without them. This being the case, I see no reason why we should not be able to redefine the idea of the provincia in the SVR any way that we'd like to.

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Not just rackin' up my post count!

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:02 am

Salvete iterum!

...Actually, the more I think about it the more excited I'm getting: Suppose we had a section about each Province in the Roman Empire? The Provincial fora would be made up of anybody from that Province, anyone with roots there, anyone who speaks the language, and anybody who's been studying it for any length of time. Pro exemplo, I would love to see some good discussions about Roman Spain (including in Spanish!)...by Roman Spaniards, however many generations removed. My own roots are in Baetica; Hispalis and Italica were major recruiting areas for the Legions, Italica being a colonia founded by retired veterans. I'd enjoy hearing about how Latin became Spanish, or the waves of different cultures that influenced things, or scholarship on the remaining monuments and inscriptions, or if the archaeologists finally cleared the mess out of my basement. >({|;-)

I know, or know of, Italians...other Spaniards...Britons...and a Dacian or two who would probably enjoy reading and writing about Rome in their particular neck of the woods. And if an Icelander chimes in, we'll know we beat the Vikings to Ultima Thule! <g>

You like, or is my imagination running away with me again?

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:52 pm

New members who doubt their English skills might feel more comfortable posting to such boards instead, and that might introduce new members and new information into our societas.

This is true. When you write so much or you use slang sentences, for me become difficult. :(

A board for Italian would be especialy helpful as it could inform us of recent archaeological work in Italy that hadn't been posted in English to the net. That is the case with information on the Italic tribes - an interest of mine and one that is related to Roman studies.

I have tons of information about archeology. Almost every day archeologistes discover something in Italy.
Anonymous

Provincia?

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:00 am

Salvete Sodales Omnes -

Bona mihi haec sonat notio. Sounds like a good idea. As with the Provinicia Belgica, the provincials would have to be interested enough to actually generate activity, so I think that a province should only be established when there is clearly a group of sodales eager to interact therein.

Alia notio: The idea of a "post or converse in Latin" section seems obvious, yet it seems also to be stillborn unless there is some content or controversy or enthusiasm for it. Magister Scerio has proposed this idea anew; I wonder, should we post a poll as to who would enjoy or at least make it a point to post in such a section?

Valete bene.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Return to Comitia