Masterfully Coherent Plan

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Postby Q Valerius on Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:04 am

What sort of activities am I talking about, I know you are asking. Well, here are just some suggestions:

1. Roman olympics
2. Chariot building/racing
3. Latin rhetorical debate
4. Common day activities, such as cooking or Roman wear
5. Gladiatorial combat

And the like. How about compensating magistri for teaching sought after subjects, like a quasi-Academic Thules?

I know, I know, we are not big enough for such a thing! I agree. This is why I both plan on recruiting and co-ordination with other organizations, possibly even Nova Roma itself. Already we started contact with Academic Thules. Who and for what will be decided later. And certainly we won't see anything substantial just yet. Patience is needed, but so is diligence. I have the diligence for undertaking such a project. All I am asking is for you too to be with me. I want so much more for SVR. Even if you yourself don't have the time, what about legacy?
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby P. Scribonius Martialis on Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:28 am

1. Roman olympics
2. Chariot building/racing
3. Latin rhetorical debate
4. Common day activities, such as cooking or Roman wear
5. Gladiatorial combat

There exist already organizations which provide activities such as these. I refer, of course, to Nova Roma. What would differentiate us from these groups? When there are differences, do they operate in our favour, and are they substantial enough that their membership would prefer to join our organization instead? I'm not familiar with Aldus Marius' history with Nova Roma but perhaps he could tell us whether he felt that there was enough discontent with NR that several of the members could join us.
P. Scribonius Martialis
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Roman in the Real World

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:42 am

Salvete omnes!

Scripsit P Scribonius:

> There exist already organizations which provide activities such as these. I refer, of course, to
> Nova Roma. What would differentiate us from these groups? When there are differences, do they
> operate in our favour, and are they substantial enough that their membership would prefer to
> join our organization instead? I'm not familiar with Aldus Marius' history with Nova Roma but
> perhaps he could tell us whether he felt that there was enough discontent with NR that
> several of the members could join us.

Funny you should ask... >({|;-)

I have said for a long time that we really need a public account of the history between us and Nova Roma; I may end up writing it myself, for a new "Archives" section that I'm planning for the Web site, or maybe even for the SVR Annales that have been suggested. This would answer questions like yours, keep me from getting PM'ed every time somebody raises the subject, and give the newcomer the context for understanding a lot of what gets said and done around here. I will try to be brief... *chuckle*

Nova Roma was founded in March of 1998 for the purpose of recreating and reviving ancient Roman civilization to the extent possible in the modern world. This was a great idea, almost identical to my own mission in life; but though things have improved somewhat in the last few years, the concept has suffered brutally from its founders and a number of the earlier members.

My first six months in Nova Roma, before everything got petty, I shall treasure for the rest of my life. I was a Citizen of a nation whose territory, at the time, was defined as wherever a Novaromanus happened to be standing...my work-cubicle, perhaps? <g> I was a member of a gens and a holder of minor office (Tribunus Militum, a recruiter and liaison to reenactor Legions). I had a sense of belonging, of being part of something larger than myself, that filled the deepest parts of my Roman soul, and that has not been equalled since...anywhere. The SVR does not have this; that's why we're having this discussion. But Nova Roma doesn't have it anymore, either.

The founding members were mainly conservative, and Roman Pagans to the core. NR was originally started to revive the Religio Romana, and anything that compromised this goal was tantamount to treason. So of course NR ran into trouble when it acquired its first Christian and Jewish members (they were barred from office); when SCAdians, reenactors and other 'roleplayers' wanted to join and share their considerable organizational expertise (they were distrusted on sight); when younger members aspired to magistracy (age requirements were installed ex post facto, and arbitrarily enforced); and, most notoriously, when a transgendered Civis (me) wanted the Censores to change his name from the feminine he'd been born with to the masculine that best described him. (The Censores demanded to see the member's medical records and other documentation of his 'condition', and also insisted that he obtain a real-world legal name-change before he could apply for one in Nova Roma. The member understandably did not comply.)

For many of us, this was the last straw. Most of us had been Citizens for between one and three years; I'd been an active and contributing member since four months after NR was founded. People could not believe what was happening to even the most respected fellow-Citizens. And all of the Novaromani in my camp had experienced the same things I did: one long run of Listwars, malice masquarading as politics, Magistrates vying to see Who Could Do What to Whom, and near-complete inability to even identify, let alone discuss, Roman historical and cultural issues. So NR did not succeed in really replicating anything except the backstabbing viciousness of the late Republic. That's why we founded the SVR.

NR today is an organization of maybe 2000 members (they're redoing the census), all over the world, with more interest in holding Roman gatherings than in jerking people around on the Internet. In a lot of ways it's better than it was, and seems to be finally getting off the floor after a disastrous beginning. But it is still not exactly the House of Sweetness and Light. On some things they've actually gone backwards since I was there. Christians are (again) forbidden to be Magistrates* , and women cannot be Priests; the Collegium Pontificium has gotten its head up its arse about animal sacrifice and other matters; the Main List discussions are still 70% about politics, and any Roman topic introduced seldom has a shelf-life of more than a week, at the end of which they're talking about Who said What and not Rome at all.

I have thought, a time or two, about going back into NR. I had some pleasant correspondence with last year's Webmaster, which led to a perusal of the Main-List Archives. Magistrates have posted their opinions that ex-Cives like our 'faction' are owed an apology, and that Nova Roma had fallen into the habit of legislating things that were none of its damn business. I do believe the Place has even learned to laugh at itself.

Yet I've always concluded that what NR has to offer me can be had in greater quantity, better quality, and a much more congenial atmosphere right here in the SVR. Unlike the Other Place, which is finally trying on civility for size, we grew our habit of friendly scholarship early on, and have maintained it well. Our charter does not bar anyone from belonging to both groups at once. But to any Novaromanus who has checked us out, the difference is huge, and immediately apparent.

* [
Christians/Magistrates: This ended up not being so; see below]

'Nuff said...?

In fide,
Last edited by Aldus Marius on Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Roman in the Real World, Part the Second

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:47 am

Salvete iterum, amici Romani!

Scripsit Scerio magister:

> I know, I know, we are not big enough for such a thing! I agree. This is why I both plan on recruiting
> and co-ordination with other organizations, possibly even Nova Roma itself.

We can be.

The idea was briefly mentioned of the Senate appointing legati to perform outreach to other Roman organizations. It has been a long-standing dream of mine to get every Roman-oriented society on the planet in touch with every other, or at least aware of the others' existence. We certainly need to be better-connected to the wider neo-Roman world; even if we don't get duckets of fresh recruits, with their fresh perspectives, we stand to learn a lot from Latin teachers, classics clubs, reenactor Legions et alii...and, let's not be too modest, they can learn a lot from us as well. Let each of them become acquainted with us, and through us, with the others; let us trade as many stories with them as we can. By doing this we reaffirm what we have in common, celebrating Romanitas in all its varied guises.

But the big thing--the absolutely essential thing--to my concept is the face-to-face, interpersonal interaction between the Roman-in-spirit and those in his or her community who might become Romans-in-spirit (or, more aptly, discover themselves to be so). You walk the Via Romana; you think, speak, act, refrain from acting, work, and live by your best estimation of how a Roman would if he or she were transported to today. I have likened this process to evangelism, or to a grass-roots political campaign. You see how many others you can interest in what you have to offer. For Christians, it's salvation and oneness with God. For activists, it's a chance to be part of a basic reshuffling of the way the world works. For us...it's Romanitas, and the spread of Romanitas.

You don't have to walk up to complete strangers in your toga or lorica, although if you go to events (RenFaires, SCA tourneys, Latin-League conventions...you'll find something, and who cares if you're out-of-period! <g>) you may well end up doing so. For me, it was easier to start with my friends, coworkers, and classmates. But you will attract attention; you will have people ask you about Rome. You will teach some, mentor others, and touch the lives of all. I am not being sentimental when I say this. Even those whose interest in Rome is merely academic will, at the least, experience a change in perspective: "Oh! --I never thought of it that way before!"

You don't have to be blatant, either. It can be as simple (but attention-getting) as answering "Adsum!" to the roll-call, or telling your Western Civ class who Iunius Brutus' colleague was in the first Consulship ('twas Tarquinius Collatinus). A dyed-in-the-wool Roman finds himself doing things in a way noticeably different from the people around him. If they notice, too, you get the chance to explain and educate, and maybe even inspire. Moderns don't think like Romans, most of 'em; but some of them would like to, and the quest for a deeper set of principles is a lot of what attracts people to Ancient Rome and keeps them there.

This is one way to recruit all these new, active, passionate members (and maybe recharge some old ones) who are going to set this Society on its ear, who will be here with sufficient numbers and output and commitment to the Heritage to power nearly anything we can think of for the Societas to do.

I've always liked the blurb on Nova Roma's old intro page that said "Because Roman virtues mean more to us than 'family values'..." There is a longing expressed here. It's the difference between surface appearance and deep reality. I don't have to tell you which template holds which.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:33 am

I too came from Nova Roma(and I'm still there) dispite all of bickering that goes on. As was said things do seem to be inproving there. Here there is NO backstabbing(just some light bitching here and there) and boulder tossing(in NR they toss boulder's and not small rock's at each other). I'll take the peace and quiet here anytime. And the topics in the Forum are far more interesting.

I am a Lictor and Diribitor at NR and a former Propraetor of America Medioccidentalis Superior(for 3 1/2 years).

Priscus
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:07 am

Quinte Servili, what are your thoughts on the proposal? I too value peace and amicitia, but I still want to see a more active Societas. What sayest thou?
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:43 am

First of all I think your plan will be a boon to the Societas. Secondly, I would love to see the Senate back along with the return of the Gens. The Societas can be serious and more SCA-like at the same time I think. Also, I would like to see our title of office's be brought back.

Even though I originally left the position of Jr. Censor for health reasons I feel I could if needed help in handling membership's if requested. I think I have a printout of a old voter code listing somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. If I can, does anybody want it? I'll mail to whoever does.

Priscus
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Helena Iulia on Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:31 pm

Salvete,

The idea of holding classes is a good one but requires a huge commitment in time and, in fact, is done in other places. Possibly, the various Collegia could hold symposia, lasting one or two weeks, in which a topic is proposed, participants are directed toward relevent books/websites/articles and let the (informed) discussion begin. Topics could range from the very basic to the very advanced. This would also work well for those who are trying to study Latin independently but need a boost over a particular grammatical concept (the subjunctive comes to mind!). These shorter term commitments might also encourage more sodales to participate. Overall, I think having a larger percentage of sodales regularly participating is preferrable to having a larger membership (at least at first).

Helena Iulia
Helena Iulia
Socius
Socius

Senatus Redefined

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:19 pm

Salvete Romani,

[Scerio--Here--Just the other day:]

After this, we need to restore our Senate. While we still have the Curia working, it is no Senate. The Senate was not the current collection of magistrates, but the collection of the senior elite. It was a place where the elders could congregate for legal issues and other matters. [...]

...a board of seniors, the Senate, can more efficiently decide on certain minor but necessary decisions, such as caretaking of the site or bestowing awards on outstanding achievement, such as awarding patrician status to deserving members... No, amici, some things need a smaller group to decide.

Our original Senate was composed of all current and former Magistrates of the Societas. Censores, Consules, Praetores certainly; the senior Aedilis; and the Rectores (heads) of the Collegia (each Collegium had one). Junior Aediles and the Rogatores were not members. We did not have Tribuni.

The membership of serving Magistrates made a certain kind of sense; and I could see emeriti being included on a case-by-case basis. There was provision for the nomination and elevation of deserving non-Magistrates as well. But what I actually found, when I was reconfiguring the Board's Curia section (which serves as our Senate-house), was that the former officers were not Senators because anybody had proclaimed them so; they'd just never had their Curia access revoked when they left office!

So who's in the Curia now? --We four Something-or-Others, because we still need somewhere to meet. (I was for calling us 'Rectores', since we don't have them for the Colleges anymore; but 'Curatores' seems to be winning out. Blah. And I had already named our Webmail box too...) Also these others, in an advisory capacity: Quintus Servilius, who has served as Censor; Tiberius Draco, my predecessor as Aedilis; and Q Pomponius Atticus, who chaired the Concilium. Conditor Gnaeus Draco will always have a seat, as long as I have anything to do with it; it just wouldn't feel right without him. And while Valerius Scerio originally needed access only to upgrade the Forum Board, we like his company, so we've decided to keep him. >({|;-)

Effectively, then, our current "board of directors" could be considered a body of officeholders and their aides. However, it is also composed of many of the senior members of the Societas, and others are being considered. But, structurally-speaking, who is there to nominate them? This would be a whole lot easier and less awkward if we were an actual Senate.

Likewise, what aspirations do members of SVR have without a Senate? We all can name some things, but certainly a distinguishing seat in the Senate is always proper.

I think there is a need for a "Council of Elders" in the SVR. It is a more Roman concept than simply having Magistrates, already being honored in that way, doubling up as their own advisory panel. Taking the word "Senate" back to its original root, senex, meaning "elder"...a Senate might be composed of the longest-standing active members, as well as any active, deserving others, whose seats would be granted on the basis of their dedication, experience, unique perspective, or expertise.

Punctuational/grammatical clarification:
"...longest-standing active members...whose seats would be granted on the basis of..."
- and -
"...any active, deserving others, whose seats would be granted on the basis of...".

There would be nothing automatic about Senate membership as I see it. Every prospective Senator would be nominated by the existing Senate based on his or her contributions to the life of the Societas. The sodalis would then be asked if s/he were willing to serve. If so, s/he would be admitted. They'd be patres et matres conscripti, basically, except for being asked--and we'd be that much more in tune with that element of the Heritage.

What this means is that anyone who gives the SVR a bit of time and attention could become eligible for the Senate. Remember that 'recognition' thing...? This is one effective way to acknowledge the folks who are actually out there doing something. And as we have already seen in this discussion, there could be all kinds of Somethings out there for them to do!

Should a serving Magistrate also be able to hold a Senate seat? Maybe, if that seat were gotten on the basis of merit, and not just for holding office. Perhaps it'd be better if they didn't, though, until after they left office. This would avoid the 'doubling-up' problem; it would also give our Magistrates something to shoot for--or am I the only one who has noticed that there is not a hell of a lot of incentive for an officer of the Societas to turn in an outstanding performance?

Bene, you may ask, what's to keep the ten or twelve of us who are actually running things from just nominating ourselves, each other, our friends, and their puppy-dogs, thus establishing a self-perpetuating ruling 'clique' which no Mere Mortal Sodalis can squeeze into? --Honor, for one thing; the current senior membership is just not like that. For another, the Societas Via Romana has never been a cliquish place. And even should it become so, there is still a powerful third check. This last does not operate by keeping the insiders from doing things, but rather by making it more possible for anyone else to be noticed:

Mi Scerio, are you about ready to talk about patron/client yet?? >({|;-]

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:27 am

Salvete omnes,

Please accept my apologies for the tardiness of this post; I should have posted an opinion a while ago. First of all though, let me express my general outrage that NR have AGAIN banned Christians from taking office... How can it be considered to be getting better if they've re-instituted rules like that?

Regarding the Archives, mi Mari, I suggest; if you were to decided to compile a history; that you chat to all of us who were there, and maybe get an opinion from each person on every topic you cover. Eg, a topic about the religion crisis, one on the age crisis (In which Draco and I featured), one on the Amici Dignitatis crisis, etc...

Scerio, regarding your proposal, it certainly sounds excellent; I am concerned that it currently lacks details; a few ideas have been bandied about, but I can't see any concrete proposals regarding, for instance, number and nature of officers, how to gain funding for these many interesting events you suggest, what methods we will use to recruit the many new members required to make such a grand new structure work, etc.

However, with enough public discussion, I think we can hammer out these details, and I'll try to check in more often.

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Marcus Octavius Gracchus on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:42 pm

Curio Agelastus wrote:Salvete omnes,

Please accept my apologies for the tardiness of this post; I should have posted an opinion a while ago. First of all though, let me express my general outrage that NR have AGAIN banned Christians from taking office... How can it be considered to be getting better if they've re-instituted rules like that?

I don't know how that rumour got started, but it simply isn't true. One of our consuls for this year (Pompeia Minucia) and one of our praetores (Tiberius Galerius) are both Christians.

There is *no* such rule.

Vale, M. Octavius Gracchus, Censor of Nova Roma.
Marcus Octavius Gracchus
Senator
Senator

Erratum

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:21 am

Salve, mi Octavi, et Salvete omnes...

> I don't know how that rumour got started, but it simply isn't true. One of our consuls for this year
> (Pompeia Minucia) and one of our praetores (Tiberius Galerius) are both Christians.

Me ineptum; I'm only as good as my sources, and on that one they were obviously incorrect or out-of-date. I am glad to learn that it Just Ain't So!

Pax tecum, amice. And if I've ruffled any other feathers, you have my permission to spread a rumor in NR that I went streaking in honor of one of Curio's recent birthdays. >({|;-)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Pause

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:19 am

Salvete omnes...

It's gotten quiet in here. Was it something I said...? >({(:-)

...Na, actually that may be a good thing. Valerius Scerio informs me that he'd rather wait for Cleopatra Aelia to get back before getting into his proposal much further; he, among others, would like her input on what we've got so far.

Don't let that stop anybody else from joining in; there's a lot here already, and many members we haven't heard from. But it'll be another week or so before we go into anything new, 'k?

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Patron/Client (finally!)

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:17 pm

Salvete Romani!

And now (that Scerio has 'scooped' me in the Comitia...ngrrr! >({|;-) ), the moment you've all(?) been waiting for: One of us (aww, c'mon, you knew we were in cahoots) expounds on how a patron/client system could work in the SVR.

Ille:

I want a Roman life. I want to meet fellow Romans, speak to them in Latin, actually learn Roman combat, and, in my case especially, become fluent in Roman thinking educationally. I want to speak Greek to my children, I want to tell them about the other Valerii, a long and noble family, I want them to understand true rhetoric. I want to be Roman.

One I am fond of, both in foro et in vita, is the patron system. Patrons would be, if it is the will of the sodales, exemplary members of the Society, most likely patricians, but certainly all Senators.

Ego:
The only people I have ever seen get rewarded by an organization for their efforts are the ones who have a supervisor or other higher-up who is willing to go to bat for them. We don't really have 'bosses' in the SVR. But an old Roman institution could, I think, be adapted to meet the need for an outstanding Sodalis to have an advocate other than himself.

The concept of patron-client has taken a lot of abuse, from both misinterpretation by modern historians and grievous misapplication in such Roman societies as have tried to adopt the practice. The Sullani of Nova Roma, Fabius and their ilk -- need I say more? They fouled the words 'patron' and 'paterfamilias' forever in that organization. But I, too, was a client, to M Cassius Iulianus, in a voluntary and pleasant arrangement that I think worked out for both of us as long as NR could be said to be 'working' for us at all.

We used to have people called praeceptores in the SVR, whose function it was to welcome the newbies, answer any questions, and otherwise acclimate them to the ways of the Societas. Sodales volunteered to be praeceptores, and any given praeceptor might serve for two or three months before the torch was passed on to the next person in the rotation. This was analogous to the "Hospitallers" of the SCA, who also serve as newcomer liaison and first point of contact for those considering entering the Society, and who will even loan you a costume for an event if you don't have one already.

The praeceptor idea foundered because there were not enough volunteers, and thus each one who did step forward had to handle more new members for a longer hitch than his or her predecessor. Also, the newcomers themselves did not take full advantage of this service. Everyone received a welcome letter, but very few replied, and even fewer had much more to say than "Thanks for noticing."

But I was wondering if we could revive this concept and work it a little differently? Each newcomer would have a "patron" in the Societas. Whether the patron was assigned to the new member or the other way around, every sodalis would have his own liaison who would see to it that he got oriented, that he knew of opportunities in his areas of interest, and that any ideas or projects the newbie himself came up with were given a chance to bear fruit. If what the sodalis wanted to do was not within his patron's expertise, the patron could refer his client to an expert on that thing, and take care of the necessary introductions. This addresses two of the biggest newbie questions: "What is there to do around here?" and "Who do I talk to about what?"

The real worth of patron-client in the SVR, as I see it here, becomes apparent when the 'newbie' has been there a while. He has someone to nominate him for honors, such as Patrician status. He has someone to help him start or push through a project, or get something published on the site. He has someone to bring him to the attention of the administration. He has someone to represent him in a dispute with another member, who would be spoken for by his own patron. (This last, providing a kind of mediation between the two sides of the conflict, could go a long way towards preventing any Avitus-style unpleasantries.)

I believe such a system would give us a huge leg up on the need for 'mobility' and recognition within the Societas Via Romana. (And the great part is, the patron does most of the work!)

One knotty problem, though: How do we get patron and client together? If one knows the other, the matter settles itself; but to pick or be picked by a stranger, to fill such an influential role in a Sodalis' career...? --Especially when newbies come to us with such grave reservations, as the concept has been so thoroughly misused by every other group that has tried it?

...I haven't the faintest idea how to do it. I shall be almost tail-waggingly grateful to the first person who comes up with something that fits the rest of our proposal.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Marius on the Comitia

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:09 am

Salvete omnes...

Last of the series. Anyone who'd like to respond may do so either here or in Comitia as Scerio brings up the appropriate specific proposals. I would like to see the level of participation we had just a couple of weeks ago; this dialogue is not over yet, not by a long shot.

Here we go...

- - - - -

So where does the Comitia fit into all this?

To honor a sodalis, a Comitia vote is oftentimes neither necessary, nor convenient, nor appropriate. It's a bulky thing, has to be coordinated, and it's a waste of time unless we expect there to be some opposition. Sometimes we just need someone to rear up on their hind legs and say, "Aulus Flavius done good!!" I think that'd mean a lot to "Aulus Flavius".

Scerio magister:

Can we really trust to call upon all the members of the Society to make an efficient decision to that effect? We can hardly make voting quorum, let alone decide on what’s best for the forum....as far as overall voting, I say let’s make this the easiest possible.

We could start by delimiting what sorts of things the Comitia should handle versus those matters which may be better served by someother authority. I have my own idea, which we can add to or subtract from as we go along; your comments, as always, are valued and welcome.

According to Marius, the Comitia should handle:

- Elections of chief magistrates (Censor, Consul, Praetor)

- Any major changes of policy affecting the Societas as a whole. Possible examples:
    - New standards for Roman names
    - Changes to admissions policy
    - Amendments to charter (Regula)
    - Organization and decommissioning of Collegia
    - Becoming part of any other Roman group
- Resolving provocationes (appeals by sodales of magistrates' decisions)

- Revoking any magistrate actions listed below

The Comitia should not handle:

- Appointments of lesser magistrates, their assistants, or outside experts:

All our offices in the Societas at present are obtained by election. Any magistrate (or, now, curator) can appoint however many aides s/he thinks s/he needs to carry out his or her responsibilities. But other than this, there is no provision for appointive (as opposed to elective) service in the Societas.

I strongly believe that not every form of recognition should be put to a vote. There are a number of skilled, able, and willing people in the world who have neither the inclination nor the mindset to become candidates for elective office. Some find campaigning burdensome and unpleasant; some, like myself, may even consider it a little degrading. I'm sure there were people here last year who would have made able magistrates, had they only been willing to undergo the awkward preliminaries.

For such as these, and indeed I think for most of the membership, being appointed to a council, a magistracy, a rectorship would be by far the greater honor. There is a difference between asking for a chance to serve, and being asked. We see something that needs to be done or would be nice to have, then pick a respected somebody who has the talent to make it happen. We gain that person's services, at no cost to his or her dignity, and s/he doesn't have to block out the time and mental energy to campaign for the right to be useful. So let's remember to make provision for those who would be better officers than candidates.

- Creation of Collegia (interested sodales would petition the Senate directly)

- Selection of a Webmaster!!

- Site upkeep and content (they can 'vote' individually by submitting contributions):

- Policy changes only affecting day-to-day functioning of the Societas or any entity thereof (Senate procedures, Board rules, names of offices, calling elections...)

- Recognition of a Sodalis for outstanding achievement, including becoming a Senator; becoming a Patrician; becoming a Rector; being awarded an honorific

- Punishing or banning a member (it would decide the appeal)

- Establishing formal relations with any other Roman group *

This is a grey area, or (depending on your disposition) an opportunity for collaboration between sodales and their Senate. Plainly, sodales are going to come to us from other Roman groups, or discover them on their own after joining us. They will no doubt want to share, and this is to be encouraged...on an individual level. They can even petition the magistrates. But formal recognition (however we define it), from our Society to another, I feel should be the prerogative of the Senate and/or the magistrates.

Amici Romani, I strongly believe that the ideas presented here can, not just reform the Societas (we've had plenty of that), but bring it miles closer to its original intent. With these changes, we can attract real Romans-in-Spirit, and rekindle the ones we've already got. (Heia, it's working for me!!) Our little gathering of friendly scholars will be infused with something more, something that takes our discussions beyond academic and social particulars and turns them into personal discoveries, potential life-lessons. Like a true community, we will reinforce each others' Romanitas, and by doing so strengthen our own. We will become a haven for a displaced people with a noble past and noble spirits, who are being fed nowhere else. And once the transformation is well underway, we will have an active membership that can be counted on to do things.

I stand in testament to what one Roman can do in a city of 200,000 souls who "Don't know much about History". Give me a dozen real Romans, anywhere there is...or half a dozen on a forum already stocked with Roman enthusiasts. Then stand back and watch the revolution.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:22 pm

Salvete Sodales,

Where to start since there was so much said?

Firstly I think we shouldn't blow up the administration/offices too much otherwise we really would end up with having more senators than legionaries. I like Scerios and Atticus' suggestions of having the following officers:

Tribuni - In charge of problems and complaints.
Praetores - Individual forum moderators
Consules - Global moderators (not limited to (a) collegium, -a)
Quaestores - Treasurers
Censores - Takes care of applications
Legati - Acts as diplomats
Aediles - Website upkeeping

If you wanna have a senate how many people should that be? We might have a sufficient amount of members/peoples enlisted to the forum but consider how many of them are active posting here. That is already a small amount and most of them would be used up with the above offices.

To promote good posts and memberships etc. I suggest to have a look at the Roman Army Talk forum where I'm also an active member. There you could give a laudes point to someone who made a good post. Jasper, the founder of that forum, thought at first also to give negative points but dropped that idea pretty soon.

Also he or sometimes a comittee (depending on the kind of medal) hands out medals. You receive something for the anniversary of becoming a member, i.e. one, two, five years etc. But they also give you medals for outstanding research etc. The medals appear beneath the person's name and avatar.

I oppose to Latin becoming the official language because there might be enough people around who are interested in Ancient Rome but simply have no feeling for foreign languages and are glad that they could handle English if they are not a native speaker. It would frighten away those people if there appears too much Latin on the board. Of course I favor having in the Coll Ling Latin classes but it shouldn't be something like everyone has to learn if he wants to be here.

I will definitely link the webpage of the SVR to the website of my gladiatorial reenactor group. Also since I am in reenactment I could post dates where my group appears here on the forum etc. hoping that maybe someone esp. of the European bunch might show up as well so we could meet in person. I had told you before that I'd tried to set up a meeting at the Brot und Spiele last year in Trier but unfortunately it didn't work out. :cry:
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:44 pm

In the meantime I chatted with Scerio at first in our confab and then on YIM so some of my questions were answered.

He told me that he was thinking of a senate consisting of 10 people which sounds fine to me taking the number of members of this board into consideration.

Also we talked about that working together with my reenactor group would be a good idea. How this would look like we definitely still need to discuss but the link will be on my homepage definitely.

Any questions? Just ask me.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Previous

Return to Comitia