SVR Census

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

SVR Census

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:36 pm

In accordance with the Regulae, the Societas Via Romana will conduct its Census beginning on 11 January 2007. A Census is necessary to determine the quora used in voting in the Comitia as well as for practical reasons such as minimizing our administrative burdens.

Sodales who have not visited the SVR forum for more than six months will receive an email from the curatores asking whether they still wish to remain members of the Societas. If no response is received from an individual within two weeks, his or her name will be posted in the Comitia. This will give the member a chance to respond in case his or her email address has changed. It will also give other sodales the change to vouch for a given member if someone knows that the member is interested in participating but cannot respond due to illness, travel, computer problems, etc.

It is the curatores' intention to be expansive in considering any such difficulties. For example, if an inactive member is known to be devoting his or her energies to another aspect of Romanitas, such as reenactments, with the full intention of returning to active participation in SVR after a definite time, that member will be retained on the rolls on the basis of a fellow member's statement.

If no response or statement from a colleague is received by the Kalends of March (March being the beginning of the New Year in the Old Roman system), the inactive member will be removed from the rolls and will be sent an email informing him or her of the action.

This process is meant to be an administrative exercise at worst and a celebration of our membership in SVR at best. Prompt responses from those who receive emails will help Cleopatra, Priscus, Marius and others who are working on this. Thanks to everyone for their understanding and participation.

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Calling all Sodales...!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:33 am

Salvete, amici Romani...

My apologies for the rather...awkward way in which our preliminary Census list was published. What the good lady meant to say was...

Has anyone here seen, heard from, or been haunted by any of the following individuals in the last six months?

[Bounced e-addies:]
-- Publius Arminius Florus
-- Alexander Dionysius Hellenos
-- Marcus Dionysius Iuvenalis
-- Alexandra Eleutheria Eudocia
-- Helena Eleutheria

-- Gaius Equitius Cato
-- Aulus Faunius Pulcher
-- Philippos Helios Gallicus
-- Lucius Iudaeus Iosephus

-- Aletheia Iulia Hypatia
-- Hiera Iulia Minervina
-- Romulus Iulius Ursus
-- Tiberius Ovidius Mezentius
-- Agrippina Valeria Espanica

[No reply:]
-- Aulus Aelius Geminus
-- Anyte Alethia Helena
-- Aulus Ambrosius Celetrus
-- Gaius Ambrosius Artorius
-- Gaia Antonia Aurora
-- Lucius Antonius Lucullus

-- Marcus Arminius Maior
-- Daria Aurelia Aenea
-- Gaia Aurelia Invicta
-- Quintia Aurelia Verania
-- Lucius Aurelius Flavus
-- Drusus Claudius Camillus
-- Caia Cornelia Timothea

-- Lucia Dionysia Veneta
-- Lucianus Dionysius Bibens
-- Tarquinius Dionysius
-- Gnaeus Dionysius Cicero
-- Perikles Eleutherius Cicero (same as Gn Dionysius Cicero?)

-- Caius Durnovarius Brutus
-- Servios Helios Leo
-- Anyte Iulia Iuliana
-- Diogenes Iulius (or Iulia?) Reitia
-- Hamilcar Iunius Massienus

-- Messalina Moravia Iuvenalis
-- Saxus Pitrinius Atheniensis
-- Alexander Pomponius Flaccus
-- Caius Pomponius Germanicus
-- Quintus Pomponius Atticus

-- Lucia Salicia Piscina
-- Velia Salicia Flora
-- Marcus Salix Invictus
-- Amulius Scipio Leonidas
-- Aulus Scribonius Dento
-- Marcus Ulpius Trajanus

This list includes several people who were very active even a year or two ago. A former Webmaster is on it, and one of my RP partners, and the chairman of the Concilium. I've more than a few good friends listed here, and I've been wondering for a while what happened to them. As noster Tergestus said, this exercise is really about commuity, and finding each other, and getting caught up with each other, or even just sticking our heads in long enough to say Hey.

Also, while your Curius Aedilis has you here: Aeneas Iulius Lupus, I know you're still with us; you've changed your Board-handle to Titus Iulius Nero. Did you wish me to change your listing on the Album Sodalium too?

Benigne,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Just a note...

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:16 am

Salvete iterum, amici Romani...

Just to let you know: Yes, you can post replies to an Announcement topic.

So...hope to hear from ya's! >({|:-D

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Hello?

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:13 pm

Salvete amici...

..What, nobody's heard from anybody...? Aww, c'mon... >({(:-|

Well, I have. Q Pomponius Atticus is studying at the Belgian Academy in Rome, has been for the last year. He's now considering where to go to graduate school. He'll stop by when he can!

Laetus,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:00 pm

Salve Mari,

It appears I was able to nudge Atticus back to SVR long enough to contact you it seems. He is however, like you said, very busy so I think it's going to be a while until we hear from him again.

One person you can take of the list is Tarquinius Dionysius, he doens't want to be a member anymore.

I haven't heard from anybody else and neither do they ring a bell.

Vale bene,
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Semifinal

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:20 am

Salvete, amici Romani...

I am in the process of disenrolling those Sodales who have been inactive longer than the specified time-frame and (a) could not be contacted, or (b) were contacted but did not respond. I am being very careful about this, verifying everything "once, twice, and again", so expect it to take a few days.

But I do wish to share that we've located Marcus Arminius Maior and Gaius Equitius Cato. Both are currently serving as Magistrates in Nova Roma. I'd say that counts as "Roman, Busy Elsewhere"...

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Sun May 06, 2007 2:54 pm

Results of the Census:

The Census of the Societas Via Romana returned 62 sodales. The names of the current sodales are recorded on the Album Sodalium

This is almost half less than the 121 sodales whose names were inscribed on the Album before the Census. To avoid alarm, it is worth pointing out that most of the names removed became inactive way back in 2003 and, especially, in 2004, as well as later years. The Album had not been updated which is why we appeared to suffer such a large reduction this year. Many thanks go to Marius for his hard work in the Census itself as well as in updating the Album.

To help us gauge the actual annual changes in the membership of the Societas, I plan to ask our new Censor, Q. Servilius Priscus, to provide an annual report on how many new sodales join each year, to be matched to the historic average annual loss provided by the Census.

By clearing the names of inactive sodales, we now have a much clearer idea of the scale of our Societas and who can be called upon the help it grow and be enriched.

Timavus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Return to Comitia