Relocating to a new home

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Relocating to a new home

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:58 am

Salvete Sodales omnes

I may be jumping ahead of some of the other Curatores, but while I have the chance I will inform you of what we have been discussing.

We have been having problems with our current server, iPower. Most recently some of you may have noticed that the Boards were on a debug mode and no one was able to enter. We have had similar problems. They have been occuring more frequently over the past months.

Our contract with iPower is due to run out late next spring. The Curatores have already been discussing moving SVR's site and Boards to a new server. And once moved we hope to beging building a better site with more features. We had thought that we would be able to set things up before the transfer and make a gradual change during January to May 2007. The continuous problems with iPower now makes it necessary that we transfer sooner than planned.

So, as soon as the new site is ready and the links can be posted, they will be announced here. And, I imagine, we will ask the Comitia to give its consent to transfer. I want you all to be informed and be able to discuss it, while we have the opportunity - assuming this email gets through.

Io Saturnalia
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Outta here

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:04 am

Salvete omnes...

...Yeah. What he said.

We had already begun building a "mirror site" at http://svr.cynico.net as part of preparing for the transfer. That site already has all the 'static' content you can see at <societasviaromana.org> now: the articles, the links pages, the Alba, the Atlas... Last week we even got the Chatroom and the Contact forms working.

The major things remaining are the interactive bits: the Board (MAJORmajor), the membership application (medium-major, and we might be redoing it anyway), and getting the mirror site to update every time I change something on the original site.

I backed up the Board's database on the 6th, and can do so again as soon as I think the blessed thing will stay up long enough to permit it. Nobody wants to claim responsibility for us being in 'debug' mode (aka full fetal position) for three days. I'm done dealing with it, and I'm way past done trying to explain it. This has to stop.

Omnes, the best thing you can do for this situation is to thoroughly check out http://svr.cynico.net . If we like it, Octavius can give it a different domain name, maybe <societasviaromana.net> like we've discussed. Read everything, use all the forms, chat, whatever...basically beta-test the he** out of it so we can have everything running that's supposed to be. You can drop feedback here if the Board is up, or at rectores@societasviaromana.org otherwise (our Webmail's working fine).

**SO** not there anymore...
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Backup

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:34 am

Salvete Romani...

> I backed up the Board's database...and can do so again as soon as I think the blessed thing will stay up long enough to permit it.

...Got it.

>({|:-)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Hand me another brick.

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:35 pm

Salvete iterum...

The membership application on
svr.cynico.net is now working.

Mi Aelia, please disregard the app from "Scrubius Pius"; that was my road-test. I've already tucked him into one of the 'Aediles' folders.

Mi Scerio, you've got the PHP skilz: What's been the matter with this darn thing anyway?

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

New site!

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:27 am

Salvete, amici Romani!

After an intense, enjoyable 3-hour Webmaster Jam Session (featuring Octavius Gracchus and myself), our new site is ready. We're at http://societasviaromana.net .

The regular pages work.
The Board works.
The Application and Contact forms work.
The Chatroom works.

The new site does not update whenever I tweak the old site. Ergo, changes/additions/updates will be made to the new site only.

It's going to take the "domain nameservers" all over the 'Net a couple of days to catch up with the change. societasviaromana.
org (our current addy) will still be useable until the Comitia votes to cut the cord. All Sodales are encouraged to visit the new site, change your bookmarks and such to reflect the new addy, and definitely--definitely--wire us (me) if you dislike something or if anything ain't workin'.

(Do change those links and bookmarks. It will avoid a lot of confusion should people log onto the Board from one site and emerge onto the other. Watch that Address Bar!)

Our Webmail hasn't changed, and won't change until sometime before our present hosting arrangement expires in May of next year. Until then, you can still reach us at rectores@societasviaromana.org .

Some of you have from time to time suggested moving our chat to an IRC channel. Octavius is offering to set one up if we'd like one. Show of hands?

There is also the possibility, first brought up by Valerius Scerio during the recent upgrade, of adopting completely different Board software (something besides phpBB). His own Board is an SMF (Simple Machines Forum) board; I've subscribed to another one since then, it's been rock-steady since it begain in July, and I am suitably impressed. If anyone else is on any other types of Boards (SMF, vBulletin, ...), what are they, and how well do you like them? Admins, how useful are the tools?

Needless to say, migrating the Forum would be a community decision.

And...I am being given a "sandbox" of sorts to try out the Wiki concept. Stay tuned; your fuddy-duddy retro-Webmeister just might do something kewl after all!! >({|8-)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby P. Scribonius Martialis on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:43 pm

And...I am being given a "sandbox" of sorts to try out the Wiki concept. Stay tuned; your fuddy-duddy retro-Webmeister just might do something kewl after all!! >({|8-)

Wiki? This sounds interesting...
P. Scribonius Martialis
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

SVR Wiki

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:30 am

Salve, mi Martialis, et Salvete omnes!

Yes, we've been kicking around the idea of having part (maybe a large part) of the site converted over to the Wiki format. Bene, the Curia did most of the kicking; I just lay on the floor curled up and kept my head covered until they stopped... You know how 'holy wars' can get in the IT world. >({|;-)

Anyway, they talked me into at least considering it. I was thinking, for starters, of doing the SVR Annales that way. Originally it was going to be me writing the whole blessed thing, something I have the resources to do but hardly the time...certainly not while still serving in my present capacity. But with a Wiki, everyone could chip in; it'd be more like an oral-history project, and we'd get more memories and perspectives than just my own.

It has since been suggested (by Marcus Horatius, iirc) that we could also open up the Contributions sections for the different Collegia that way. It'd certainly simplify the submission process... The work Nonius and I are doing on the legislative history of the Societas, in particular the evolution of the Regula, would've been a lot simpler if the thing had been Wikified to begin with.

So all I have to do is learn how to create and run one of the darn things...well, that's what the sandbox is for: so Mari can get all the major mistakes out of his system before he gets turned loose on anything vital. >({|:-)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Comitia