End of the Year; Call for Officers

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Re: End of the Year; Call for Officers

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:04 am

Salvete, et Marii et Omnes -

Our only response is Marius's response. Hmmmm.

Marius has a point. It's true that the Regula are tailored for a different situation - one that I've been harkening back to. Marius wants to cut to the chase. And this makes sense to me IF the Comitia chimes in and says yea or nay. I have no objection to being accepted as a volunteer Curator instead of an Curator Electus.

Re our thoughts for the coming term of office, the campaign speeches, if you will, that has been traditional, it's true. I don't mind leading off.

Sodales, this is yet again an odd time for the Societas: Our hosting is drying up, our participation levels are low, we've had a rough year, including a mid-year blowout with a disgruntled Sodalis. What, indeed, of the SVR's future? As a Curator for the two-year term preceding this, 2761 and 2762 (2008 and 2009), I have seen a lot of change - earlier members fade, stalwarts move on to other areas, new members disappear more often than appear. But we're facing more substantial changes - not just lapses in membership but a threatened lapse of the Societas Via Romana herself. I simply can't accept that. The Societas Via Romana has been too good a school for me, a school in all the better ways - I can't just give it up! This has been my Roman prism and lens.

What will come? We don't know. Are there Sodales out there who wish to enjoy these same sorts of advantages - good people, Roman history, and a Roman Way sense of place? I have wanted to retrieve what we had when I first joined, years ago - that hasn't happened. But, as I said, we're looking forward now - why shouldn't the SVR herself evolve in her mission, outlook, situation? If you feel any of the gratia the Societas offers, or remember the laetitia of livelier times, join me in the new year and offer your better parts - I will offer mine, humble though they may be.

Optime valete.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:54 am

Let's go through with the form. If we get a quorum, great. If we don't, we'll just muddle through and accept the simple majority results. I don't think anyone is going to start screaming about an illegitimate "government". If someone does object, let's deal with it then.

Timavus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:06 am

Salvete omnes,

Mi Timave, my real worry is for the morale of the new Curatores. Dunno about you, but I'd have a hard time staying motivated if I knew I'd been elected by, say, four people out of five. Proportionally, that's 80%--a landslide. Numerically, it's either comical or pitiful, depending on one's temperament.

In any case, I've got a poll up now about whether to have elections. (This poll is not the election itself.) That'd be the good place to give reasons why we should or should not have them. I'm saving this spot for candidates' ideas (well, anybody's ideas, if they have 'em) as to where we want to go in the next couple of years...not the Web site; the Societas.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Salvete -

Good idea. I've voted. Everybody, please vote on Marius's poll. That will give us a better idea as to how to proceed.

Marii - Re morale of the Curatores, being either voluntarius or as electus, I'm fine either way. I think it would be other, further issues that would affect us more.

SODALES ALII - This is the Comitia! If you, the Society's membership, exist, please demonstrate it by voting in the poll.

Optime valete.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Marius at Bat

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:54 am

Salvete Romani,

We're still debating the future of the Societas in Curia. We'd rather do it here; it involves everybody, and it's kind of urgent. I post, below, the highlights/talking-points of the discussion thus far; there's also been some tech-talk with Octavius. Heads up...!

*swings*

- The SVR site is going to be homeless sometime this year. This begs the questions of whether we should disband the Societas outright, and/or what, if anything, we should move to a new host.

- The Board is dead.

- Due to lack of member participation, the Societas as an organisation is nearly so. (Still waiting on those ten votes...)

- The Web site might be worth saving.

- The social functions of the Societas could be met in a Yahoo group or similar e-list...possibly two of them, one for the Curia and one for the membership.

- We're not sure how to port the educational end of the affair--the Collegia topics and such. We need to preserve them, but how?

- We will still have a Webmail addy for the Societas, maintained by Octavius.

- If we do move, Iohannes and Timavus have volunteered to help with the hosting fees.

This, candidati, is what you're up against next year. Don't be shy; let's hear your takes on the situation.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Okay, now what?

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:09 am

Ave(te?)

Ten days. The question of the Societas' next form or even future survival has gone unanswered for ten days. A referendum that needed ten votes to make a quorum only got seven, and *that* took eight days. The membership hasn't replied. The candidates haven't replied. I'm at a loss. Nobody seems to have any ideas, or indeed much to say at all.

I have no idea to what authority I might address this question, but...now what?
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Mari, regula aside, the real authority is whoever actually owns the site {pays the bill}.

I saw elsewhere an offer I won't discuss here...but just bear in mind that he who pays is he who owns.

At work now..will ttyl!

Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Previous

Return to Comitia