This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Do you think our forums should have avatars?

Absolutely.
No votes
Yes, but there should be limitations.
38%
I don't care, actually.
38%
No, I am against the idea.
23%

Total votes : 13

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun May 04, 2003 6:29 pm

Salvete,

I'd like to put this question, raised by Alexander, up for a poll. Do *you* think our forum should have avatars?

Valete!
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Sun May 04, 2003 7:48 pm

Salve Draco,

Excellent idea to have another poll, I love polls, splendid, keep it up....but eeeh...what are avatars ?

Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun May 04, 2003 10:05 pm

Salve mi care Lupe,

An avatar is an icon or a picture that appears under your name and, as it were, represents you. It adds a more personal touch and makes things more colourful but, on the other hand, can slow a forum down quite substantially.

Vale bene,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Mon May 05, 2003 9:46 pm

Salve Draco

What???? Exactly where would these pics or icon avatars be? Where would they show up? When would they show up? You need to explain much better before I could even think about taking the poll on them.

Vale
Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Mon May 05, 2003 10:35 pm

Avete Romani,

What???? Exactly where would these pics or icon avatars be? Where would they show up? When would they show up?

This picture wil appear under your name and above your ranking. They would show up at the same time when loading the thread.

These pictures could be anything, ranging from a picture of yourself in a toga to an image of a battling lion. Although the first is the most logical.

personnally I have nothing against it, but I think it would seem rather strange on our forum. What kind avatars would people like to use?

Valete bene,

Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue May 06, 2003 1:06 am

On Avatars:

There are a couple of ways we could handle this as far as picking one. One, the Board owners (the Aediles?) could create several and put them someplace where users could download them. Dunno how crazy anybody in Admin is about having a user-accessible directory, but the possibility is there. (Hey, it worked for AncientSites!).

The other method is to let us upload our own, subject of course to limitations on file type, file size, and image content. We'd still need the User Directory, but it'd be for putting ours in, not taking the official ones out.

Types should include Romans in togas; in tunic and cloak; in armor (ranker's and officer's versions); in gladiator gear; three or four kinds of Roman women (at least one should be doing something active); maybe some obvious Greeks, for those of a Hellene persuasion; and a Wolf, for Marius in his better moods. >({|;-)

All this being said (I'm such a helpful chap), I am really not crazy about having Avatars in the Forum; there have been problems in other fora with people swiping each others', and besides...some things are best left to the imagination. [solemn wink]

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Wed May 14, 2003 12:21 pm

Chairete sas,

reading your replies was most interesting! I loved to see you all react, be it positive or negative, that doesn't matter. Though now the topic has been released for quite a while now, I feel the urge for an apologia, so you could all take it in consideration. I myself voted pro, but with limitations, because I think it would bring some pleasant life in this magnificent brewery. I am of course not pro the uploading of off-topic pics. In the same line of thought as are name-giving, i.e. with the same/alike restrictions, I propose to have are images depicted, after all we are romans :wink: Mine could be as on this link to the picture in my user profile on my website http://griekenland.2link.be to see it go to: http://www.2link.be/index.php?pid=profiel&user=280 If you would like to see a forum with avatars (without restrictions) go to the KK's http://www.student.ugent.be/kk/ASI/phpBB2/
So take a look an think about it!

chairetismous,

Hellenos
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Wed May 14, 2003 12:22 pm

Al. Dionysius Hellenos wrote:Mine could be as on this link to the picture in my user profile on my website http://griekenland.2link.be to see it go to: http://www.2link.be/index.php?pid=profiel&user=280

PS: the head you see is that of the man I was named after :wink:
Anonymous

Re: Avatars

Postby C.AeliusEricius on Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:53 pm

Salvete.

As is usual in these matters, Marius's thoughts on the matter are on target. I assume, my experience with the things is from AncientSites, that one caould elect to not have an "avatar" along with the choices of various "avatars". (Yes, I always had trouble with that word being applied in this context.) So I guess I would vote "Yes, with limitations" re. the poll. I note that this site gives one a choice of emoticons, if one wishes to use them. I look on "avatars" and emoticons being comparable in this context. It can give more pleasure to those who are interested in them, and doesn't add much to the download time, even on my main machine.

Valete.
C. Aelius Ericius.

Marius Peregrine wrote:On Avatars:

There are a couple of ways we could handle this as far as picking one. One, the Board owners (the Aediles?) could create several and put them someplace where users could download them. Dunno how crazy anybody in Admin is about having a user-accessible directory, but the possibility is there. (Hey, it worked for AncientSites!).

The other method is to let us upload our own, subject of course to limitations on file type, file size, and image content. We'd still need the User Directory, but it'd be for putting ours in, not taking the official ones out.

Types should include Romans in togas; in tunic and cloak; in armor (ranker's and officer's versions); in gladiator gear; three or four kinds of Roman women (at least one should be doing something active); maybe some obvious Greeks, for those of a Hellene persuasion; and a Wolf, for Marius in his better moods. >({|;-)

All this being said (I'm such a helpful chap), I am really not crazy about having Avatars in the Forum; there have been problems in other fora with people swiping each others', and besides...some things are best left to the imagination. [solemn wink]

In amicitia,
C.AeliusEricius
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Return to Comitia