Encouraging Board Activity

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Encouraging Board Activity

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu May 29, 2003 7:05 pm

Salvete, Romani...

The first part of this discussion is tacked onto my Idea Factory thread, and may be read there before posting here. Basically it began with a question, one we ask ourselves every so often as an organization: How can we encourage our less- or non-active subscribers to participate in the Forum? One person thought the 'regulars' were dominating the discussion out of a desire to do so; his respondent pointed out that no one is *keeping* the quiet ones from posting, they just haven't been doing so for reasons ranging from newbie shyness to lack of time. At last Draco rescued the discussion-to-date by noting that our ratio of posters-to-subscribers is quite a bit better than that of some other, much larger organizations we might know of, and...

So, novi homines et feminae out there, introduce yourselves! Don't be shy We won't eat you. The worst we can do is correct your Latin, he he.

(I've had one of those corrections; they're not too painful...)
>({|;-)

So that's the background to this current thread. Wind up your scorpiones and wire when ready!

In amicitia (In Friendship),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri May 30, 2003 11:14 am

Salvete Mari, Romule et alii,

I'd like to note something about Romulus' last remark on the topic when it was still on the General board.

Trying to "lure" people out in the open by writing welcome postings and such usually doesn't work. When people apply for membership and successfully subscribe to the forum they are already sent a welcome mail by the censores and get a praeceptor. If they don't respond to these they won't respond to questions on the forum either.

I think we'll just have to accept that in *any* org the majority of members will be inactive. Besides, as Mus noted in a private discussions, imagine like 20 postings a day... it would become very hard after a while to keep up with everything. This doesn't mean, however, that I don't think we should gain more active members. We should, in fact!

But we just depend on good connections, promotion and a good dose of luck.

Valete,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Comitia