IMPORTANT!!! Inactive members during the past six months.

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Re: Regula

Postby Curio Agelastus on Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:57 pm

Salvete omnes,

**Curio walks in muttering various profanities.**

Look people, we're having all this over a damn census? There are a few valid points.

Firstly, I accept Lupus' point that this will reduce the Censores' work load in coming years.

Secondly, I accept Piscinus' point that we should discuss the fact that we can't get women interested.

But apart from those two points, and one other below which I'll discuss below, this discussion has primarily been pointless. It does not make that much difference either way. However, while we're on the subject, I wish to suggest the following for a happy summer;
1) an discussion over what would be the best colour for the forum.
2) a heated argument over which smiley is the best.
3) Finally, a gods-damned flamewar over whether green is a nice font colour or not.
:evil:
I'm sorry, but this discussion is utterly uncalled for, given how minor the issue is. I've heard various things that, while not direct insults, could be construed as insulting. However, what infuriated me the most was Locatus' comment below (Not Locatus himself, but the implications of what he said):

I really have my doubts about all the efforts I try to put in this society, and afterwards always get hints about 'the quest for power' that I seem to be interested in.[/quote]

Now what kind of power is there to be found in this place? This is an excellent place, but there is no power to be found here. Goddammit, I'm really reminded of another place right now, quite frankly; almost-pointless discussions over political bickering, and accusations of power-mongering. Who said this about your quest for power, Locate?
Who really imagines that there is power to be found here? That we are anything more or less than Roman enthusiasts?

Do we really wanna go down this route? The route whereby the Belgians become the oligarchy, with a few veterans like me, Marius and Piscinus, and everyone else are the evil revolutionaries trying to unseat the equally evil oligarchy. Goddammit, that's a load of B******T! This is not politics, I am here to learn about Roma and share my enthusiasm with others of a similar enthusiasm. But if there are to be accusations of power-mongering when we haven't even got more than 50 active members, and probably quite a few less than that, then you can count me right out.

**Curio leaves, twirling his quarterstaff, and with steam pouring out of his ears.**

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:26 pm

Ummm mi Curio,

Aren't you getting *a little* carried away here?

A discussion about some organisational principles is not the end of the world. And certainly I'm yet to see the first personal insult here... It never happened and if it's up to me it never will. I trust a good deal of our members thinks the same ;).

It's not wrong to discuss our own organisation. I agree this is quite a minor issue but let's not make a mountain out of a molehill... which was originally a bump in a flat landscape anyway :).

In pace,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Bump in a Flat Landscape

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:27 am

Salvete Romani...

Two years ago when I first linked up with the Societas, I posted saying that, due to a then-active and rather severe case of post-traumatic stress, I would never never never never NEVER post in the organizational/political fora. Not my thing. Had my share in the OP. Drove me to [fill in drastic and unhealthy action here]. Et cetera.

I guess I've healed up a bit...! >({|:-D

Okay, on to the issues at hand:

I. The Census.
I rather like the twice-yearly nose-count. It tells the Censores (and the rest of us) who's been heard from recently. And, while nobody's mentioned this, it also gets us talking to and about each other...like now! This thread has mostly gone like a family reunion. We greet each other, ask about/answer re: those who did not attend, and basically find out through interaction who's still with us and what's on their minds. Kind of what I do with Christmas cards--I send them to friends I haven't heard from in a long time, and see how many responses I get, and what kind. A useful thing, nonne...?

II. Participation of Women
It is true that most classicists are men. Why that is, I don't know. But surely any woman interested in Ancient Rome has already noticed this, and most have still maintained their interest; I think we've progressed beyond the point where a lady automatically feels intimidated by the vastly-greater numbers of her gentleman colleagues.

It is also true that most women of more than college-age have very much less free time to do what they like. Most of them work *and* have families for whom they are the primary caretaker, id est, the one who spends the most time with the kids. A woman's freedom very often must come at the cost of someone else's--be it Hubby's or the babysitter's. She cannot just cork off and go on a dig for the summer. She is responsible for other lives than her own.

That being the case, I think many if not most of our missing women may be simply too busy juggling the job, the kids, and bonding with their mates (if they're lucky) to have much energy left for the Societas or anything like it. It may have been all they could do just to keep up with the e-mail exchange, back when our fora were mostly mailing-Lists. Now they don't even get e-mails anymore, unless it's the one with their voter code. What woman--what human being--with scarcely the chance to take a breath in solitude is going to remember to visit a Web site several times a week?

Also, I don't think those women who *are* interested in Romanitas and the SVR are going to necessarily limit themselves to Roman "women's studies". The e-List of Latin teachers I once was on was overwhelmingly female, but their questions got into everything from reconstructed ritual to, yes, military equipment. There were the usual few dozen translation requests, the occasional note stemming from that about epigraphy or numismatics, the Who's-your-favorite-Emperor light-hearted stuff, and, in all, a broader range of discussion than I ever got in the Other Place, or indeed anywhere else until I came here. (Good work, all!)

III. The Color Green
Well, I've provided a decent-sized specimen; I'll let y'all decide for yourselves! >({|;-)

Romano-Texan signs off,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:11 pm

Salvete sodales omnes

Where I would use my veto authority is where I indicated and the reason is simple enough to understand. If the praetores took action against an entire slate of individuals at one time it would deny them the use of what is an individual right. What the censores did I have stated I consider to be within their perogative. But the praetores acting upon it should be on a case by case basis.

Why this matter is worthy of our consideration is that it goes to the heart of SVR. What does membership in SVR mean? There are three benefits offered by membership. You can vote in our elections, you can run for and hold offices, and you are guaranteed certain membership rights such as provocatio. To become a member entails no more than to request membership. To maintain membership requires participation on some level. There may be a difference of opinion over what constitutes participation and how frequent it needs to be.

The color green as a font color. I like green in my garden, I am not especially fond of green in my salad except as a background for everything else I put in it. Green looks well on Marius. But I spent too much time in a green suit, driving in green vehicles, to rooms painted green, with green furniture, green coffee mugs, green folders in green file cabinets, even the damned underwear and the junglerot beneath it was green. I am not fond of green anymore.

The colors of the chatroom, black on white, definitely needs some work.

I hate all smileys.

The purpose of the Comitia list is to discuss organizational matters of all kinds. The fact that we do bring up matters here does not constitute a flaming of anyone, or an attempt to burn down SVR, or to seize power or thwart another's attempted coup d'etat. SVR is an organization. It has organizational matters to consider and discuss at times. Few of us, including many of our officials, are very interested in that aspect of SVR. But if you are going to have an organization, whatever that may mean, then the procedures it relegates for itself are to be followed properly.

Valete optime
Moravius Piscinus
Consul iterum SVR
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:57 pm

**A contrite Curio enters the comitia**

Salvete omnes,

I'm sorry about my last post, I did make far too much of it, I did overreact. The only excuse I can claim is that I've had a very stressful week in the real world. Exams, cars breaking down on the motorway and requiring half an hour to get going again, heated arguments with people I hold close, and a moment of introspection all combined to create a fairly explosive Curio. I'll try not to let it happen again.

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:51 pm

Salve Marce,

don't worry about it, we all have had one of those days in the past. And I do think you made some interesting points in your earlier post.

For instance you are right about the fact that it is stupid to discuss something like "power" in our little organisation. That's ridiculous, what power can someone have over about 50 members, I mean, we're not like the OP are we? Where people have hidden agenda's and stuff like that. So let's return to the main reason why we're all here:

Rome (and a little bit of Greece :wink:)

By the way I think that :twisted: is the coolest emoticon!

Vale bene,

Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Continuing the list.

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:35 pm

Salvete!

I know not everybody likes it, but the list has been refreshed again. One more member responded and wanted to stay a member:

- Teresia Oregonia Medica

The list now looks like this:

- Livia Vatinia Aprilia
- Priscilla Vedia Serena
- Persepheia Eleutheria Hadreana
- Anyte Aletheia Helena
- Flavia Valeria Octavia
- Aletheia Iulia Hypathia
- Sokrates Kinetos Barbaros
- Alexandra Eleutheria Eudocia
- Sokrates Eleutherius Callistus
- Appius Claudius Falco
- Hiera Iulia Minervina
- Domna Durmia Cintia

If anyone knows some other ways to contact them besides email or PM, please let us know!

Valete,

Loc
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:21 pm

Salvete Censores

I have news concerning a member: Anyte Aletheia Helena. i spoke with her through msn messenger and she said that she was to busy the last months, that prevented her from posting and that she will be more active during the summer, but she wants to stay in SVR.
valete

Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:36 pm

thanks, Romule, that's one less on the list.
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

And correcting again...

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:27 pm

Salvete!

Another member replied saying she wants to stay a member. This is (again) a corrected list:

Replied:

- Alexandra Eleutheria Eudocia
- Anyte Aletheia Helena

No response:

- Livia Vatinia Aprilia
- Priscilla Vedia Serena
- Flavia Valeria Octavia
- Aletheia Iulia Hypathia
- Appius Claudius Falco
- Hiera Iulia Minervina
- Domna Durmia Cintia

Im still trying to contact these people. If anybody has heard from them or can help me contact them, let us know!

Valete,

Loc Bar
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

reply, reply! My kingdom for a reply!

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:36 pm

Salvete!

Today Aletheia Iulia Hypathia replied to my email.

The list of inactive members during the past six months who did not respond now looks like this:

- Livia Vatinia Aprilia
- Priscilla Vedia Serena
- Flavia Valeria Octavia
- Appius Claudius Falco
- Hiera Iulia Minervina
- Domna Durmia Cintia

They have only three days left before I will pass their names to the praetores.

Valete,

Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

To the praetores!!!

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:01 pm

Salvete,

In accordance with I,7 of our regula Fundamentalis:

If the Censores receive no answer within a term of three weeks, the Censores shall pass this name on to the Praetores, who shall remove this member from the Societas Via Romana by means of an Arbitrium. Said member shall be informed of his right of Provocatio therein. If this does not happen, the removal of this member will be considered illegal.

I pass now these names of our members to the praetores:

- Livia Vatinia Aprilia
- Priscilla Vedia Serena
- Flavia Valeria Octavia
- Appius Claudius Falco
- Hiera Iulia Minervina
- Domna Durmia Cintia

About the people on our forum who have been inactive for at least six moths but are not a member:

no-one replied to my messages.

So I ask the aediles to remove every none-member from our forum who has posted his last message before 01/01/2003. As these people are no members, it's up to our aediles to deal with them.

Valete,

Locatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Re: To the praetores!!!

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:38 pm

Salve Locate,

Q. C. Locatus Barbatus wrote:... About the people on our forum who have been inactive for at least six moths but are not a member:

no-one replied to my messages.

So I ask the aediles to remove every none-member from our forum who has posted his last message before 01/01/2003. As these people are no members, it's up to our aediles to deal with them.

You may ask this, however, there is no official regulation with regards to non-members and their supposed activity. As such, no one can remove them.

Vale bene,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:34 pm

Indeed, there is no regulation for these people, and it is impossible to make such a regulation, as they are no members. But it is what I call (pardon my speech) "cleaning up". There is a list of names on our board who aren't used anymore (people who forgot their password, username etc) or who have lost interest. We can keep those unnecessary entries, but they do not contribute in any way to this forum. On the contrary: it gets more difficult to find a particulary member in the list, and our database is just growing.

We can post some guidelines for non-members on the (already present) topic.

Valete,

Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:53 pm

I do believe it's possible to make a regulation, but we might just as well discuss that in the Senatus (or Comitia) after July 1, when the new rectores are officially installed.

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:33 pm

Salvete Senatores et sodales omnes

Q. C. Locatus Barbatus wrote:I pass now these names of our members to the praetores:...

As I have stated before, the censores have the authority to make such decisions on the membership, but we do need to consider setting precedents for what procedures are to be followed in such matters. We do not want to set a precedent that might allow censores to arbitrarily remove members without their first being given an opportunity to secure their rights. The censores may collegially issue a nota from which there is no appeal except to the censores to reconsider. A nota in itself however may not remove sodales from membership. Only if a praetor acts on the nota, of which it is his decision whether to do so or not, may a person be actually removed. Locatus says that he passes the names over to the praetores, which must mean that he authorizes the praetores to adjudicate the matter. This I find proper.

Locatus' request to the aediles, however, I do not consider to be proper procedure and Aedilis Draco should be commended for waiting for proper authorization. A censor may not issue an edictum to order an aedilis to do anything, nor can he really request an aedilis to act improperly lest the censor expose himself to a charge of inuria under the Considerations of Edictum Consularis de Institutionibus. Aedilis Draco requests that a regulation be made to carry out the censores' desire. I feel that a finalized edictum of the praetores following an adjudication would constitute proper authorization for the aediles to act upon. By finalized I mean that the aediles will have to await a proper amount of time for a praetor to issue a proposed edictum, for his or her colleague to consider a veto of the proposed edictum, for the consules to secure the sodales their right of provocatio and the outcome of any vote of the Comitia in such an instance. A regulation, or decretum, to lay out the proper procedures can be drawn up by the praetores, discussed in the Senate for its advice, and presented to the Comitia. However, in the meantime, the praetores may proceed in their adjudications with any procedures they may wish to use, as they are so authorized under the Regula Fundamentalis, provided that they comply with the Regula and the Institutionibus as may apply.

As I have indicated before, I would consider it a breach of the rights of individual sodales if the praetores were to make a single adjudication encompassing everyone on the censores' list. I know it may seem an unnecessary complication to have the praetores conduct separate adjudications in each individual case, but bear in mind that removing sodales from membership is the most severe action our societas may make. The finalized edictum of the praetores ordering the aediles to remove the names from the website may include a complete list of names. Where the consules come into play here is their responsibility to "advance the mission and purpose of the Societas" to include their responsibility to defend the Regula Fundamentalis. Last year it was decided to streamline our organization, which led to the elimination of the offices of tribuni who would normally have been responsible for upholding individual rights. The duties of the tribuni have thus fallen upon the consules, or the other way to put it, after ancient precedent, we now have tribuni consulari potestate. Any decretum of the Comitia Generale regarding adjudication procedures should be drawn up by the praetores since such procedures lie within their area of responsibility. Praetores can also issue edicta on adjudication procedures they will follow. A problem arises here though because a praetor cannot issue an edictum that would impinge on the duties of another magistrate, especially a higher magistrate such as a consul. We must therefore have a decretum of the Comitia that would cover all the magistrates involved in these procedures, and since such a regulation would involve the censores, consules, praetores, and aediles, it would be best to work out details in the Senate first, then refined in the Comitia as it is brought before the entire membership for consideration. Only by the Comitia issuing a decretum can you limit the consules from interfering with the procedures of the praetores. This I think is necessary. Just as we do not want to set a precedent that allows magistrates an unlimited ability to arbitrarily remove sodales, I think we need to limit a magistrate's ability to interfere with justified actions. That is, I would like to see limited the powers of a consul to veto a praetorial adjudication to a very narrow range of prerogatives, and that these should be based in the consules' constitutional responsibilities. The consules should exercise their powers to defend individual sodales by taking appeals of provocatio to the Comitia, but should not be allowed to interfere or prevent the praetores from performing their adjudicial responsibilities through an unlimited exercise of a consular veto by intercessio. No edicta by the praetores or consules can accomplish that goal, and so we will need to bring this before the Comitia.

Valete optime
Marcus Horatianus Piscinus
Consul iterum SVR
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Not members!

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:01 pm

Salve Marce,

I passed the names of our inactive members over to the praetores; it's up to them to deal with it.

What I asked to the aediles (asked, not ordered) was to remove the nicknames of our inactive forum members, who are not members of the SVR:

As these people are no members, it's up to our aediles to deal with them.

Thanks for listening :wink: ,

Loc
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Re: Not members!

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:33 pm

Salve Barbarelle

Q. C. Locatus Barbatus wrote:
What I asked to the aediles (asked, not ordered) was to remove the nicknames of our inactive forum members, who are not members of the SVR:

That is not quite true is it? Priscilla Vedia I believe is a member and thus has the same rights as any other member. I think we have been there before. Inactive non-members is a matter for the aediles to deal with, I would not disagree with that. But why would a censor be involved with non-member issues?

Vale
Pisc.
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Inactive Member Reply

Postby Anonymous on Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:37 pm

Salvete.

Due to relocating in another country, moving to another house and temporarily moving to another country again, I had considerable difficulties receiving and replying my e-mails and sometimes reaching the internet altogether. I had replied one of the e-mails I had received, saying that I was still interested in SVR and wanted to remain a member, but it may have not been received by the original sender, due to the said problems. I was reminded of this, again, by Romulus Aurelius Orcus and since I have a more or less permanent connection here until mid-August, I am writing this post, hoping that I am still a member. (well, if I can post this, I suppose that means I am)

Valete.

Hiera Iulia Minervina
Anonymous

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:43 pm

Great to see you back, Minervina. You won't be removed from the membership roster.

Where are you located now?

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

PreviousNext

Return to Comitia