refeshing ammendements

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

refeshing ammendements

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:18 pm

Chaírete sas,

I like do debate, but when a discussion is over, its over. Therefore I leave the census-discussion and I move on. I had two proposals that I find to be rather nice. I do not expect them to be integrally copied and thus instaured, on the contrary, esspecialy the second (and most important) could use some more brainstorming. Storm away!

Al. Dionysius Hellenos wrote:Caírete sas,

I am rather new to the SVR and it's the forum, though maybe you'll appreciate an objective oppinion from someone who is in the most an outstander (for little time to come). And eventhough I haven't been that serious these last days, I assure you, I am now.

There is truth in both oppinions. You cannot have a "dead" community, nor can you go about deleting people every census. I do see that our censores are rightuous people, and the methods of the "republic" are good. But maybe, in order that we don't come across (let me stress that, I won't be turning words nor be sarcastic) as pejoratic, maybe we should give the meassures more alignment.

Our dear friend Lupus has scetched the procedure welly. There is a large period of different stadia (with several warnings) before one gets deleted. I am quite a romantic person, and by that I mean in an intellectual way.
So I propose to give it a bit more "historic clothing" (inkleding) and open a graveyard for those who cease activity due to a lack of interest and assure -ase was stated by Lupus- the censores that we should "stop bugging them". It wouldn't create a large space on the server, for there are a lot of statistics the SVR doesn't need on them. The graveyard would just be a listing of romanized names and whatever was kept in the dead-listings of ancient Roma.
Secondly, I prupose a list for people who are to busy with primary needs (housing, jobs, death, sickness, ...) and don't have time for hobbies or exentric lifestyles, but want to resume activity when they are setteld. We could say they are abroad, on a study trip, a hospitialist, for thosre who have officially left the protection of the pólis of Roma. They would of course be pronounced dead, if chances of return aren't possible. :wink:

Having just passed the age of Ephebe, I don't proclame any wisdom. Though I hope this enlightens the clash of oppinions.

fíloo <uµâs, fíloi µou,

Héllenos

summeriesed;

a propose a better alignement of the census-consequenses:

GRAVEYEARD: a list of members that explicitly quit
HOSPITIUM: (WORKINGTITLE!!) for members who have problems irl, that prohibit them to do some intellectual fun

so, what's ya thinkin?

Héllenos
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:20 pm

MG: do pardon my bad typing :oops:
Anonymous

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:03 pm

Khaire Hellenos

I don't know. Some people might be offended by it. Its one thing to publish a list of names of people who were inactiv during the last 6 month, but its something else to publish a list of members who are deemed dead by SVR because they have quit. i think that we do not ened to create a list of members who had quit in the past. It doesn't just create more paperwork for the censores to keep the list up to date but it is also useless. We don't need such lists. That is my opinion about it.

Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:29 pm

Salve Hellene,

They are nice ideas, but there is one practical problem with a "graveyard". What do you do when a "dead" member returns? You can't claim he's risen from the dead, can you :). That would lead us too far into Phantasia.

The problem with a hospitium, in my opinion, is that you can't always know if someone has problems irl. People with problems or busy schedules are also likely not to respond.

Vale optime!
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:27 pm

Chaírete Orke kaì Drákon,

Romule, I totally do not agree! Neither is it an indiscretion to list (sorry everyone) fictive names, nor is it that big a job (copy&paste). Someone who wants to rejoin, Drákon µou, would have to ware a new body, like Augustus did. (cf. Aeneïs) Also is it known to some of us that some of the blak listed cyberromans (for they are but virtually real as explained) arn't able to be active, though just fo the time beïng, that's how I got the frikkin (to much docter evil fot me :wink:) idea!

>'antios,

Héllenos

MG: !!!SPECIAL ALERT TO MUS LOCATUS TIBERIUS AND OTHER PROMINENTS!!! you too are invited to discuss. Drákon, Orcus and I are to much babbeling by tree.
Anonymous

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:38 pm

Ave Alexander,

Al. Dionysius Hellenos wrote:MG: !!!SPECIAL ALERT TO MUS LOCATUS TIBERIUS AND OTHER PROMINENTS!!! you too are invited to discuss.

Thanks for the invitation :wink:

I just want to ask you a question: what purpose does this "graveyard" have?

I mean, isn't this bad publicity to show visitors a list saying:

"these are the ones that have quit SVR."

Because eventually there wil be more "dead" than "alive". And this would lead people to believe that something might be wrong with our Society, because why else woudl so many people quit?

So please, Alexander, convince me! :twisted:

Vale,

Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Feedback

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:23 am

Salve Alexander, et salvete omnes...

How to say this...?

Care Hellene: Your proposals tell me one thing, and that is that you have most seriously misread the spirit and membership of the Societas Viae Romanae, the Society of the Roman Way. A virtual Hospital and Graveyard might be fun or meaningful additions to a mere Internet community, one made up of persons who have come together because they all like talking (writing) about the same thing. There is nothing wrong with such communities. I myself was a member of some two dozen or so at the height of my activity level some five years ago. In each case, the members knew who they were and why they were there, and the thing did not attempt to become anything more than what it was--an ongoing dialogue on a specific subject.

The Societas, however, is a horse of an entirely different color. It is not merely an assemblage of people who like to talk about Roman history, culture and heritage--although we do. It is not just a club whose members adopt Roman names and titles for magistracies--although we have. Rather, the membership of SVR is largely made up of what I call "Romans-in-Spirit": those who, like myself, feel a profound and in some ways spiritual connection with the ancient Romans, and who seek to revive and perpetuate Roman culture to the extent possible in the modern age.

For such as these, the choosing of a Roman name (for instance) is not undertaken lightly. It is a question of identity in its deepest sense. Some of us are raising children in the Roman Way; others endeavor to express their own inner Romanitas in the 'outside' world any which way we can. Many are taking Latin courses, and finding the typical dryness thereof an insult to their Roman souls. This "Roman Way" so prominent in the name of our society is nothing less than a lifepath, an ongoing quest to become more at one with the Heritage--whether by increasing knowledge, sharing it, resurrecting an ancient practice, countering Hollywood stereotypes, or whatever other method comes most naturally to the individual traveller.

It's a pity you weren't here when the SVR did most of its business on a series of Topica mailing-Lists. I posted there, in the Societas' earlier days, a series of essays that could be considered our founding documents spiritually the same way the Regula founded us officially. I believe the Topica archives are still there and accessible; my posts have names like "A New Beginning?" and "Recruitment, or, How to Romanize the Natives", and a careful reading of them might yield some insight into the spirit in which the Societas does things. (If you cannot get into Topica, I can send you copies of those two essays privately.) (Hey, Aediles--would these be a Good Thing to have on the site...?)

Considering, then, that what we do here far more closely resembles a spiritual person's Walk or Path than the 'Gladiator Fan Club'-type associations most people are used to, can you see where maintaining databases of Those who Quit and Those who Keep Silent would be somewhat inappropriate? No one "quits" being a Roman. If you are one, that is what you are, and though you might leave the SVR, your Romanitas goes with you the same as your height and hair color. As for those 'in-hospital', keeping track of who's too busy, with what, for how long sounds like more work than any sane Magistrate would voluntarily take on.

There; I don't know if I'm a "Prominent", but now I've discussed. >({|:-)

In fide (Ecce, Draco, you can teach an Old Dog new tricks!),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Feedback

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:22 am

Salve Mari,

Marius Peregrine wrote:It's a pity you weren't here when the SVR did most of its business on a series of Topica mailing-Lists. I posted there, in the Societas' earlier days, a series of essays that could be considered our founding documents spiritually the same way the Regula founded us officially. I believe the Topica archives are still there and accessible; my posts have names like "A New Beginning?" and "Recruitment, or, How to Romanize the Natives", and a careful reading of them might yield some insight into the spirit in which the Societas does things. (If you cannot get into Topica, I can send you copies of those two essays privately.) (Hey, Aediles--would these be a Good Thing to have on the site...?)

Yes. Last year I proposed this idea but Atticus didn't go along with it. He said it was too much work. I might try my hand at it but... it seems that for one reason or another, I've been thrown of all my lists in Topica! Even the ones I used to moderate. So if anyone who's still on these lists and has moderating powers, please send me a few invites. It would indeed be beneficial to have these archives stored on the site somewhere, although it would require the help of my collega and my scriba, of course (incidentally, my two fratres :)).

Marius Peregrine wrote:In fide (Ecce, Draco, you can teach an Old Dog new tricks!)

Optime mi Mari! :lol:

I'd still like to write my "Latin for everyday usage in newsgroups and mailing lists" for ColLat.

Perhaps I could also write a volume of "OP Latin, or: to massacre a language" :twisted: (indeed, as someone else noted, this is pretty much the coolest smiley around!).

Vale bene,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:52 pm

Drákon µou, you must really have gone mad there! :P :wink:
Anonymous

Ack!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:27 pm

Hic Draco...:

> ...anyone who's still on these [Topica] lists and has moderating
> powers, please send me a few invites. It would indeed be beneficial to
> have these archives stored on the site somewhere...

Gaa!!! --I wasn't thinking the whole Archives...just my two little essays! Surely I can get them to you without putting you through all that...

It may be a good idea, some time in the distant future. perhaps when the Aediles are rotating on their thumbs for lack of something to do (NOT!!!), to import the Archives and arrange them on the Web site in all their dazzling and glorious array. But not now, and certainly not on silly old Marius' behalf.

'K?
>({(:-)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Back!

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:24 pm

Salve mi Mari!

Marius Peregrine wrote:Gaa!!! --I wasn't thinking the whole Archives...just my two little essays! Surely I can get them to you without putting you through all that...

It may be a good idea, some time in the distant future. perhaps when the Aediles are rotating on their thumbs for lack of something to do (NOT!!!), to import the Archives and arrange them on the Web site in all their dazzling and glorious array. But not now, and certainly not on silly old Marius' behalf.

'K?
>({(:-)

Well then, would you please send me these contributions? I know, it seems like I'm essay-hunting here today, but hey, it's my job. Someone's gotta do it (my favourite line of excuse :)).

By the way, importing the archives may be not that enórmous a task. Tarquinius said he would be updating the site in the Summer, and because I think many of our members will be on vacation (or the students among us will be doing vacation jobs) there won't be much to do around here. So... Tarq can have the honour of doing this :D.

Optime vale!
Draco

PS: Hope to see you soon again at the RP thread! ;)
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Comitia