Site changes

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Site changes

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:59 pm

Salvete;

There is a huge update of the site coming up, mainly with bug fixes (navbar errors, name corrections, lay-out corrections, etc etc). If you want anything changed on the site or have suggestions, please feel free to mail me (almost wrote "maul me" - definitely not!).

We used to have a picture section at our site. It's a pity that the service we used for it is not accessible anymore. Hence, I'd like to know if you would like the idea of a picture album on our site, perhaps with personal profiles. It would make SVR a more personal organisation once you know who you're talking to. Just want to know how you feel about it.

Valete,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:44 pm

Salve Draco

A picture album is a great idea. Cincerning thepersonal profiles; either they are made by the person himself (maybe with the help of the Aedillis wh can assist them in what they could write) or that it is linked to the site of a gens where these are already availeble. We used to have this on the site: links to sites of our gens. What ever happened to it?

Vale

Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

gens sites

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:38 pm

Concerning the photo-album: now that our old service has evolved from free to money-based :wink: we could have the photo-album here. Good idea to re-establish it. And it's extraordinary you personally got this idea on your own! :lol:

About the gens sites: the gens sites were made on our old server (tiscali). No-one here is able to access it anymore because it's only possible to log on when you're surfing through a tiscali-connection. Since I have changed to skynet adsl even I (the owner of the site) can't access it anymore. I fear we will have to reconstruct the gens sites on our server here. When we have the time for it, of course.

Vale,

Loc Bar
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:22 pm

Salvete omnes

Starting a pic gallery with vitals about our members, it is a very good idea, if you ask me.

LocBar, will you be using the angel picture again? :shock: :P

vale bene
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:44 pm

I don't think that picture will be appearing again; but I still have some "yellow submarine" pictures here together with the ones that allegra sent me.
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:47 pm

Salvete Romule, Locate et Menci,

Romulus Aurelius Orcus wrote: ...We used to have this on the site: links to sites of our gens. What ever happened to it?

Well, Locatus explained. However, I'd like to note that gentes sites should really fall under the responsibility of the people themselves, not the aediles.

Q.C. Locatus Barbarus wrote:I still have some "yellow submarine" pictures here

Noooooooooooooooooo! The horror, the horror!

Valete,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Pics and Profiles

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:57 pm

Salvete Romani,

I would certainly welcome the return of the member profiles and gens pages. I still have Locatus'(?) original requests for info to be included in same; and somewhat later that year I remember the creation of a profile being an option from the Application page. (I went ahead and made one, but never saw it posted in any public place. Darn.)

I agree that Sodales should make their own Profiles (and submit portraits if they so desire). I also think any gens of more than one person should pick someone, perhaps its Princeps Gentis, to do the honors for the Gens Page if we decide to have one.

Here I would like to reiterate a request that several others have also found sensible and made: In our Profiles, and more importantly in the Album Sodalium, should there not be a 'field' in the database listing what Collegium/-a a member belongs to? This would be the ideal quick-reference for new members to find others with similar interests.

Come to think of it, are we even tracking the Collegium rosters anymore?? The Collegium pages no longer list their members, the Album Sodalium never did, and we just completed an election in which everyone, no matter what their Collegial affiliation, was entitled to choose Rectores for all the other Collegia as well. Did anyone notice this? Did anyone think it was strange?

If the thing has evolved to the point where who-belongs-to-what really doesn't matter anymore, there's nothing wrong with that; I can live with it; but someone in Admin needs to come out and say so, and we should, in all fairness, strike the membership-in-a-Collegium requirement from our SVR membership prerequisites.

Muttering,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Pics and Profiles

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:26 pm

Salve Mari,

Marius Peregrine wrote:I would certainly welcome the return of the member profiles and gens pages. I still have Locatus'(?) original requests for info to be included in same; and somewhat later that year I remember the creation of a profile being an option from the Application page. (I went ahead and made one, but never saw it posted in any public place. Darn.)

I agree that Sodales should make their own Profiles (and submit portraits if they so desire). I also think any gens of more than one person should pick someone, perhaps its Princeps Gentis, to do the honors for the Gens Page if we decide to have one.

Well I was actually saying that gens pages should be individual or collective initiatives. Individual profiles could be done in a standardised manner (which by no means would mean impersonal) and put on this trusty ol' server (I was thinking of hyperlinked profiles through the Alb Sod).

Marius Peregrine wrote:Here I would like to reiterate a request that several others have also found sensible and made: In our Profiles, and more importantly in the Album Sodalium, should there not be a 'field' in the database listing what Collegium/-a a member belongs to? This would be the ideal quick-reference for new members to find others with similar interests.

Come to think of it, are we even tracking the Collegium rosters anymore?? The Collegium pages no longer list their members, the Album Sodalium never did, and we just completed an election in which everyone, no matter what their Collegial affiliation, was entitled to choose Rectores for all the other Collegia as well. Did anyone notice this? Did anyone think it was strange?

If the thing has evolved to the point where who-belongs-to-what really doesn't matter anymore, there's nothing wrong with that; I can live with it; but someone in Admin needs to come out and say so, and we should, in all fairness, strike the membership-in-a-Collegium requirement from our SVR membership prerequisites.

Individual collegium membership was abolished in Sept 2002 when we converted to the online forums (by voting a heavily modded Regula Fundamentalis). Certainly it was a noble dream to see every collegium as an independent mini-SVR-unit with its own membership, specific atmosphere and structure. But this plan was simply unattainable and will remain so for at least the coming five years. Why did we abolish all this stuff?

1. With everything in one forum it would be near impossible to keep track of who is allowed to do what in which forum and in which collegium. Automatic membership in all collegia was considered as an option far easier for both members and administrators.

2. Maintaining the alba collegiales was more of a burden than it was something useful. Frequently mistakes were made. And whoever bothered with these alba and mailing lists? We had members not on the list, listmembers who weren't members of collegia, people mailing us they couldn't see their names, etc etc.

3. Frankly, potentially having 8 webmasters, 8 moderators and 8 scribae was pure overkill (usually these positions were occupied by the same people anyway). Certainly since we had a forum these positions became fairly useless.

The validation of SVR membership now is forum subscription. If you don't subscribe to the forum, you can't be a member of SVR, in spite of possibly having applied and approved for membership. We consider forum subscription as the minimum requirement for membership. If you don't bother to subscribe, what use it is being a member?

Hmm.. well my answer belongs more on the Comitia list. But hey. I can't be expected to moderate myself. 8)

I'm so evil!

Optime vale,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Religiones

Postby Anonymous on Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:23 pm

Chaírete Aediles,

I am glad to see myself listed in the Album. I've been staring at it happily for some time and I've realised that there is said that my religio is the Greco-Roman. As I have earlier stated, my religion is that of Hellas and no Greek-Roman mixture! So if you'ld please change it once more, and give me the Religio Graeca.

thx,

Héllenos

MG: And I'm not waiting until Konstántinos, who happens to be my brother, gives me freedom of religion! :twisted:
Anonymous

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:44 pm

aye, aye, sir! The album sodalium will be changed immediately!
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:07 am

thank you good friend, Athènâ was teasing me allready!
Anonymous

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:03 pm

Salvete
concerning the profiles of the aurelia (is this correct, mi Draco?), it is posted on the website of the Gens Aurelia with the exception of the current gentille whose members profile hasn't been made or posted.
if the Aedilles want the links to these pages, contact me and i will sent it to you. I will contact my gentilles offlist to ask them to send some pictures to be posted on the gens' site.
vale
Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:08 pm

Salve Romule,

Romulus Aurelius Orcus wrote:Salvete
concerning the profiles of the aurelia (is this correct, mi Draco?)

Aurelii :).

Romulus Aurelius Orcus wrote:, it is posted on the website of the Gens Aurelia with the exception of the current gentille whose members profile hasn't been made or posted.
if the Aedilles want the links to these pages, contact me and i will sent it to you. I will contact my gentilles offlist to ask them to send some pictures to be posted on the gens' site.

Okay, thanks for the enthusiasm! This personal profile project will, however, be scheduled for the next big update, probably in the Summer.

Vale bene,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:10 pm

salve Draco
thanks for the correction. I always make mistakes in this, but than again i never studied Latin.
Just contact me if you are doing the big update and i will sent it to you.
vale
Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Religio mei

Postby Anonymous on Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:07 am

Chaîre Locatus µou,

some time ago we tempered my Théoi ...

so
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus wrote:aye, aye, sir! The album sodalium will be changed immediately!

now, Pállas is getting really mad! And the other Théoi, ... -o no!

fearing húbris!

Héllenos

M.G.: Other than that I am utmost glad about the updates! Well done!
Anonymous

Return to Comitia