an idea

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

an idea

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:20 am

Salvete sodales
I have a idea that is more for the long term so stay with me on this as i hadn't really worked it out. Tell me if i'm wrong, but the only way to get into the senate is either through rectorship or through magistracy. Not bad things, but i had a thought, more of an idea for the long term future of SVR. What if over the years our members increase as does the activity. There could be more functions come into play than, but what i came up is pure theoritical. What if SVR grows to 500 or more members? Isn't a bad idea to let say, let the princep gentis of every gens to become a senator? Like i said earlier, i didn't really thought this true when i presented this, but i did it anyway so that i wouldn't forget it again. After all, it is just an idea.
valete optime
Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:14 pm

Salve Romule,

We have to be realistic. Due to our regular "cleaning" of the membership database reaching 500 members will not be before the next five years. Secondly, I see no reason to allow principes gentium in the Senate, because they don't do anything special that is connected to this title. Princeps gentis is just an honorary title without power to signify that this person is the first member of a gens. The title doesn't have any other meaning.

When and if we do reach 500 members, the amount of senators will automatically increase. Theoretically, there can be 16 different senators in SVR (8 from the collegia, 8 from the central administration). There is also the option to nominate people for lifetime Senate membership and, if necessary, we could bring the article to life again that allowed praefecti in the Senate (this was scrapped because up until now there has been only one provincia). If we ever reach 500 members I also expect the amount of collegia to increase and even if some would then think we have too few senators to represent the sodales, we'll see what to do then.

Vale bene,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:48 pm

Salve Draco
I see. To be honest, i think that with our regular "cleaning" as you called it, reaching 100 members would be realistic in the next 5 years. Reaching 500, i would think double that time. With the coming of several Alexander The Great movies, several miniseries about Troy and Helene, i think that our memberdatabase of our forum would increase next year, but not so much our SVR memberdatabase. I think most people than come here, will not join, only to learn from us and than they will be gone again. So that i think, will prove to be a problem in the future.
vale
Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Return to Comitia