Usergroup?

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Usergroup?

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:15 pm

Salvete,

I have joined the usergroup "RP" that currently only possesses for members myself and Mari. What does the usergroup do? I have been unable to post there, and I cannot find a function for it...

**Curio's poor addled brain is very confused.**

If the Aediles can enlighten me, I would be very grateful :D

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

RP Usergroup

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:28 am

Salvete, O Romani....particularly the Aediles who handed me this thing...

Almost as soon as I got my new toy, I ran over to play with it. But I have run into the same problem that Curio has; there's a place for a member-list but nowhere to post...and I'm the Moderator!

Perhaps a "User Group" is not the same as a user-run Board (or subdivision thereof)? It seems more suited to e-mailing a select group of people than for allowing them to anything that's going to show up on the Board. I shall have to check the FAQ for this Board and see how "user group" is defined and what you're supposed to do with it.

Meantime...Perhaps we can go back to my original approach of letting us create a 'section' (same level critter as a Collegium, but not one) of our own...? Maybe the FAQ will teach me a word for that, too.

Looking forward to actually sharing some stories...
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:55 am

Salvete,

Well, I think many of us here still wonder what a user groups means or what it can do, so Attice, as you have created the user group, could you explain a little more about it ?

Also, I don't think there's really a need for another forum, you can use the user group for all RP-related matters, or you can start one by simply starting a new thread here.

Valete bene

Waiting for Godo...err, Atticus is

Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

The unsolved mysterium tremendum that is named usergroup ...

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:59 pm

Salvete,

I think you guessed the meaning of a phpbb-usergroup right, Mari. I too don't think it is meant for posting etc. Yet, since I don't understand the details of it quite well myself, I'll have to refer you to phpbb's support section @ http://www.phpbb.com/support.php.

Vale,

Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Senator
Senator

Whazza Usergroup?

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:14 am

Avete iterum...

Still on the track of the Mystery, and this is what I found on the FAQ:

What are Usergroups?

Usergroups are a way in which board administrators can group users. Each user can belong to several groups (this differs from most other boards) and each group can be assigned individual access rights. This makes it easy for administrators to set up several users as moderators of a forum, or to give them access to a private forum, etc.

So apparently these things are set up for the convenience of the Board Administrator(s), so that if s/he or they want several users to share a particular setting, they may. Nothing to do with posting; nothing to do even with e-mail (that would make it a mailing-List, like we had on Topica or Yahoo).

Ahh, well...it's the thought that counts! >({|:-)

Done for now (see Curio on the RP thread) is...
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Four More Years!

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:04 am

Salvete Sodales...

...All this time later, and me bein' the Board-Boss, and I *still* haven't found a real use for Usergroups.

But this post gets me promoted...! >({|:-D

Your new Praefectus Castrorum:
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:37 pm

Only members of a user group could read and post in a certain thread as far as I understand it. Maybe it could be adjusted that only members could post but other could read as well. You (or the moderator) could set them up that you have to approve the new members to that group. It's similar than what you do with the Curia and Comitia that you as admin have to allow people to post here.

This is as far as I understand it but I'm far from being a PHP buff or anything. I can't even build a website and have a friend doing this for my gladiator group.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Usergroups

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:34 am

Salve, mi Aelia...

There's a separate area of the admin panel for setting "permissions"; this is how I've been granting access to the Comitia and other members-only sections of the Board. When someone becomes a Sodalis, I update his/her permissions; there are various levels, which work kind of like security clearances. (To post to the Comitia one has to have at least "Private" access.)

The usergroups might have been good for doing things involving, say, *all* the moderators or *all* the people with Comitia rights. I tried setting one up just to see how 'twas done. But I can now do the same things less awkwardly with the Admin Userlist, one of the features added by noster Scerio in the upgrade. So if usergroups were ever a good tool, they have since been replaced with better ones.

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Comitia