From the Aediles' Inbox

Everything related to the ludi circenses and its teams or workings, including games or contests in the Societas Via Romana. Bring on the fun!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

From the Aediles' Inbox

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:39 am

Salvete omnes...

A guest wrote in with a question that I think you good folk can answer better than I...

"I've been researching Ancient Rome for an annual event being held in May 2006. A local economic
development organization will be using the "Ancient Roman Empire" as its main theme. My company
is organizing this event, and our creative staff would like to stage a "gladiator battle" (two
individuals) for an intermission during the program.

Can you provide any resources, recommendations, contacts to help me? We are located in Milwaukee,
Wisconsin. Thanks."

I would like to be able to help this honored guest if at all possible. However, my knowledge of reenactment covers almost exclusively the military stuff, with only one or two gladiator groups in Europe...I don't think they'd want to make the swim! >({|:-)

Any and all leads will be greatly appreciated.

Gratias vobis ago,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:32 am

Salve mi Mari,

As I have mentioned I'm in a reenactment group which does gladiatorial fights, me being one of two female gladiators. But of course we wouldn't make it in May to Milwaukee at first because we have already an event in that month, second this is really too short notice.

But if you suggest this guy to check the Roman Army Talk there are many reenactors on the board and some of them have links to their homepages. I know that this one group from England has gladiators. If I don't forget it, I'll check it out when I'm online at home (am at work at the moment :lol: )

And don't you have on your Roman Outpost a list of reenactor groups in the USA? Or are they all doing military reenactment only? Maybe you could pass this on to this guy.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:01 pm

Ave iterum,

I just found this link of a group from Pennsylvania who does have gladiators among their ranks:

http://www.legionxxiv.org/gladiatorarena/

Maybe the guest could contact them for his show.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:46 pm

Audens? Now there, Mari, is a familiar face.
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Ludi Societatis