Ludi Circenses proposal

Everything related to the ludi circenses and its teams or workings, including games or contests in the Societas Via Romana. Bring on the fun!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Would Ludi Circenses in SVR interest you?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:48 pm

Yes, absolutely!
70%
No, definitely not.
No votes
Probably.
20%
Most likely not.
No votes
Yes, but I'm still a bit confused about this...
10%

Total votes : 10

Ludi Circenses proposal

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 pm

Salvete!

As Aedilis, I propose to hold the very first SVR Ludi Circenses on a date yet to be announced (most likely a date which was also used in ancient Rome to hold Ludi). I intend to create a few new webpages specifically for this purpose. Fun guaranteed!

Right now, I would like to know the following:
Would you be interested in participating in this game?

How to participate?
Send along your Roman name, the name of your charioteer, the name of your chariot and the name of the factio you will be driving for. Also included must be your statistics, which cannot exceed 10 per statistic and the total of which cannot go over 30.

There are five ratings: speed, acceleration, turning circle, force and armour. There are also seven tactics to choose from. These are all discussed below.

RULES AND INFORMATION

LUDI SOCIETATIS

I. FACTIONES

Historically, there were four racing factiones in ancient Rome: the whites (albata), the reds (russata), the greens (praesina) and the blues (veneta). Traditionally the latter two were the strongest of the pack. The four colours allegedly referred to the seasons, white being winter, red being summer, green being spring and blue being fall. The oldest factiones appear to be the white and the red. In the time of emperor Domitianus, a golden (aurata) and purple (purpurea) faction was added, but this practise seems only to have been temporary.

However, to assure the maximum of entertainment for our members, we have brought back the six factiones. Everyone is free to join one but it's recommended to stay there once you've joined it. Each factio is responsible for internal organisation, and completely free in that aspect, unless it violates the Regula Fundamentalis, decreta, edicta or macronational laws.

II. CHARIOTS & CHARIOTEERS

Each player in the circus "works for" a member. Members themselves can never be charioteers for rather obvious reasons: if a member would die or have a severe accident during the circus, it would give some problems. Also, it would amount to roleplaying, which is not the main aim of the Societas Via Romana. Next to naming your player, you also name the chariot. If it is Latin or Greek, make sure it is correct. The Ædiles have the right to correct any mistakes, but of course players will be informed of this.

Players can divide a total of 30 points over five statistics: speed, acceleration, turning circle, force and armour. The former three statistic make up a total number which is rather important. Let's make a concrete example.

Charioteer: Gaius Modalis
Chariot: Modestas
Factio: Praesina
Speed: 6
Acceleration: 6
Turning circle: 6
Force: 6
Armour: 6

a. Absolute speed

The first important relation is that between acceleration and speed. The higher your acceleration, the faster your chariot will reach its top speed (in this case, 6). A race has five laps, each divided into two seperate halves, which gives us ten half laps. Given that the acceleration rate is 6, the number of half laps to reach the top speed is four (if the acceleration was 2, it would take eight half laps, and so on…). Before this top speed is reached, the chariot starts at speed 1 and then moves up until 6 is reached. In case the top speed would be reached before the required number of acceleration laps has been reached, the speed will remain one under the top speed until the required number of laps has been driven. The speed of all half laps is tallied up to get the "absolute speed". In this case that number would be 46.

b. Turning circle

Now where does turning circle come in? Right here. The higher your turning circle, the higher your absolute speed will be. A turning circle below 6 will decrease your absolute speed, a turning circle above 6 will increase it. However, it comes with a price tag. For each one absolute speed you gain, your risk of slamming against the spina will increase (also see damage, wall and spina risk). So, choosing 10 as turning circle might enable you to win the race but it's a very risky tactic. Our Gaius Modalis has opted for number 6, which neither increases nor decreases his absolute speed.

c. Force and armour

Not all racing tactics (see III) require the use of force. The higher your force number, the likelier than in a fight, your charioteer will be able to whip an opponent out of the way or make it suffer an accident. A higher force rating also increases the general chance of wall and spina accidents for other players in the race. Armour, on the other hand, can fend off aggressive players. Suppose that our Gaius Modalis is attacked by a player with an absolute force (see further) of 5. Gaius Modalis will defend with 6 armour and survive the attack, and will hit back with an absolute force of 6. Supposed that his opponent, has an armour of 4, said opponent will suffer an accident. Euge!

d. Risks and accidents

Previously damage risk, wall risk and spina risk have been mentioned. What are these, exactly?

Damage risk is directly related to your armour. If your armour is 10, your damage risk will be zero unless it is raised by a special racing tactic (see III) employed. Gaius Modalis' damage risk is 4 because his armour rating is 6. Clear enough. Each player has a standard spina and wall risk of 4 (that is, chances out of ten to hit the wall or spina during a race). These ratings are raised or lowered according to the tactis you choose, the tactics your opponents choose and the ratings you have given your own player.

III. TACTICS

Each player submits his or her tactics that will be used in the race. The tactics are:

a. Support a constant pace: increases nor decreases any rating, enables force
b. Go closely round the spina: increases turning circle with 2, increases acceleration with 1, increases speed with 1, disables force*, lowers armour with 1, increases spina risk with 3
c. Hurry in the last laps: increases speed with 1, increases absolute speed with 2, disables force
d. Hurry in the straight lines: increases acceleration with 2, increases wall risk with 1, disables force
e. Whip your opponents: raises force with 3, lowers absolute speed with 1, enables force
f. Push your opponents against the walls: raises force with 1, raises wall risk of all with 2, enables force
g. Push your opponents against the spina: raises force with 1, raises spina risk of all with 3, increases acceleration with 1, disables force

(* force disabled means that when attacked, these players can't hit back, only defend)

Tactics E and F are the only ones that enable a player to directly attack another player.

Let us assume that Gaius Modalis opts for racing tactic A. This gives us the following numbers:

Charioteer: Gaius Modalis
Chariot: Modestas
Tactic: A
Absolute speed: 46 + 0 = 46
Turning circle: 6
Absolute force: 6 + 0 = 6
Force: 6
Armour: 6
Spina risk: 4 + 0 = 4
Wall risk: 4 + 0 = 4
Damage risk: 10 – 6 = 4

IV. RULES & WORKINGS

Let us suppose that our friend Gaius Modalis has five opponents: Titus Hibernius from albata, Marcus Oceanus from veneta, Tiberius Rufus from russata, Flavius Imperator from purpurea and Dominus Aureus from aurata. First, the absolute speed numbers are compared. Let's assume the following numbers.

Hibernius: 54 (tactic C)
Imperator: 52 (tactic B)
Oceanus: 47 (tactic D)
Modalis: 46 (tactic A)
Aureus: 43 (tactic E)
Rufus: 39 (tactic F)

Hibernius would then normally be the winner, but this is where chance and tactics come in.

First, the number of players employing violent tactics is discerned. In this case, two.

For each player, a die is cast. On one, the wall risk is reviewed. If it is 5 or lower, the player will get one absolute speed extra. If it is 6 or higher, the player will suffer an accident and crash against the wall. On two, the same procedure is repeated for the spina. On three, three is added to the absolute speed unless there is a player employing force. In this case the procedure explained in II.c will be used. On four, five and six simply that number will be added to the absolute speed.

But what happens if two or more players employ force, as is the case in our theoretical race here? Then the numbers three and above will be assigned to violent players and treated in the same fashion as a "regular" three. In case there are no violent players, three will be used in the same way four, five and six would be used if there's only one violent player.

So, let us look at the table again… We see that some things have changed!

Imperator: 52
Modalis: 46
Rufus: 39
Hibernius: Rufus pushed him against the spina!
Oceanus: Whipped out of his chariot by Aureus!
Aureus: Lost battle against Modalis

Now we see that things have turned out a little different…

Any questions? Please mail me or ask it here!

Valete bene!
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:53 pm

Salve Draco,

I don't know if I understand everything well, but it will all become clear after the first race I'm sure, so count me in.

How to participate?
Send along your Roman name, the name of your charioteer, the name of your chariot and the name of the factio you will be driving for. Also included must be your statistics, which cannot exceed 10 per statistic and the total of which cannot go over 30.

Are we to send it to you by mail, or can we leave all info here on the forum...so that spies from other factiones might see our tactic !! ;-)

Vale bene
Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:13 pm

Salve Lupe,

No, just send it to me personally :). You can however publicly display info if you wish to, or promote the factio you're going to race for.

I myself will also play along and for reasons of honesty I will - before anyone else sends me their statistics and tactics - display mine on public record so no one can accuse me adjusting my tactics afterwards. Here we go!

Charioteer: Damnator
Chariot: Fulmen Draconis
Factio: Albata
Tactic: F (pushing rivals against the wall)
Acceleration: 8
Turning circle: 5
Force: 7
Armour: 4

By the way, for the first Ludi a minimum of six participants is required. The judge for the first Ludi will be Tarquinius Dionysius, who will be barred from racing. Next time I will assume this role and not participate.

Vale bene!
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:59 pm

Well then, here goes

Charioteer: Myrtilos
Chariot: Aquila
Factio: Veneta
Tactic: D (Hurry in the straight lines)
Speed: 7
Turning circle: 5
Force: 5
Armour: 7

I'm looking forward to it,
Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:22 pm

Salvete,

Count me in too.

Charioteer: Maximus
Chariot: Centaur
Factio: Rusata
Tactic: Classified
Speed: Classified
Acceleration: Classified
Turning circle: Classified
Force: Classified
Armour: Classified

Just to keep things a little secret :)

Until the ludi begin!

Valete bene,

Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:55 pm

Salve,

I go along with you:

Charioteer: Hannibal
Chariot: 'the elephant'
Tactic: X
Speed: X
Acceleration: X
Turning circle: X
Force: X
Armour: X

I'll win!

Loc
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:21 am

Okay, four participants already and rollin'... Factio aurata and purpurea still have no racers? Fans of the mighty gold and the imperial purple, where are you? ;)

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:18 am

Salve

I do not understand your instructions at all, and can't follow your math. Explain this better.

Vale
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:52 pm

Salve mi Piscine,

M Moravi Horati Piscine wrote:I do not understand your instructions at all, and can't follow your math. Explain this better.

Okay, here goes.

STEP 1

You choose a name for your chariot, a name for your charioteer and you choose your factio. Simple enough.

STEP 2

You divide 30 "points" over 5 statistics. No statistic may have a higher rating than 10 or lower than 1.

STEP 3

Depending on your choice of tactic, some of these statistics will be altered.

STEP 4

From your acceleration, speed and turning circle your absolute speed is calculated. From your force and choice of tactic your absolute force is calculated, and from your armour your damage risk is calculated. Spina and wall risk depend on your turning circle chosen and the tactics of you and your opponents.

STEP 5

A provisional list is made according to absolute speed.

STEP 6

For each player, a die is cast. In standard cases, the number that appears is added to the absolute speed. However, on one or two, if said player's wall or spina risk is higher than 5, he or she will suffer an accident. Same goes for other numbers, depending on how many players in the race use tactic E (whipping opponents).

Anything else that's unclear or needs to be explained more?

Vale bene!
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:05 pm

Salvete,

Just letting everyone know that we have five participants so far. Don't be shy people get yourself a chariot ;).

Factio purpurea has no single driver yet. Anyone up for the imperial purple? Or will they forever remain the sissies of the circuit? :twisted:

Valete!
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:05 pm

Salve

Factio purpurea
Driver Romulus
Chariot Celeres
Tactic B (Go closely around spina)
Speed 7
Acceleration 8
Turnibg circle 6
Force 1
Armor 8

and no I still don't understand what you're doing. How do you calculate absolute speed?

Vale
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:31 pm

Salve Piscine,

I'm afraid that you'll have to wait until the next weekend to get an awnser to your question, Draco has already left for his villa in Ghent. And I don't quite understand too how he calculates your absolute speed so I can't help you either.

If anybody else wants to participate in the ludi, feel free to join.
The more the merrier!

Vale ben,

Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:57 am

Salvete!

My chariot will race for the shining gold! Factio Aurata has her driver!!

The mighty Indutiomarus will race in his chariot Gallia Victrix...

Victory for Factio Aurata!

If other people would like to race for Factio Aurata, feel free to do so! All colleagues are welcome!!!

Valete bene
Publius Dionysius Mus

No Spartiate soul left alive to tell
How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
(Ancient Rites - Thermopylae)
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:18 pm

Salvete

I hereby declare that Factio Aurata has a second driver. Morgareth will aid his ally Indutiomarus and crush his opponents with swift speed and sheer force of mind

For now, I wil not open up my tactical wisdom to you all.... wait and see

My shariot shall be known as Infernator

:twisted: May the games begin! :evil:
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:05 pm

Salvete

I might be able to solve the little math problem concerning the Total Speed rate.

Let us have a look at Modalis, Draco's example.
Both his speed and acceleration are 6.

The race consists of 10 half laps. First round, speed is 1. With every 1/2 lap, speed will increase, untill he gets at maximum speed after 4 1/2 laps. This means that he then will have a total speed rate of 10. for the first, 2 for the second, etc.

Then, he still has 6 1/2 more laps to go at maximum speed of 6. This means 36 for his Total Speed rate.

If I can count correctly, that adds up to 46, the number given in Draco' example.

Of course, these numbers can change according to different tactics being used.

I hope this all makes sense, and that Draco followed the same steps... otherwise, I would be ashamed of myself :oops:

Greetings, amices :wink:
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:50 pm

Salvete!

Yes mi Menci, you are right from what I read at first sight.

Every factio now has one driver. Only Aurata has three drivers! It will be up to the rest of the pack to defeat their golden opponents ;).

Other participants are still very welcome. Tomorrow I'll get the first site draft online for the Ludi and try to fix a date that is more or less in accordance with a classical Ludi date.

Valete bene,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:10 am

Salvete Menci et Draco,

So everyone starts at speed 1, after a half lap, everyone has speed 2, after one lap everyone has speed 3 until every driver is at his maximum speed...but where does acceleration come into play ?

Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:55 pm

Salve Lupe,

Acceleration...

Subtract your acceleration from 10 and you will end up with the number of half laps it will take you to reach your top speed. If the max speed would be reached before the acceleration process ends (e.g. if your top speed is 4 but if you have an acceleration of only 2), the speed will "hang" at the rating just below the max speed until it's reached. In the opposite case, you just shift from the last acceleration speed into your top speed (e.g. when your top speed is 7 and your acceleration is 8, in which you reach your top speed after two half laps).

Vale bene!
Draco

PS: Would anyone here object to March 1 as date for the Ludi? Would that be a realistic date to hold the Ludi on in terms of historicity (Roman New Year...)?
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:15 pm

Salve Draco

Then by your repeated explanation, what Lupus said is correct, every team will be neck and neck for the first few laps. Edepol!

Eulamo! When the urn is turned and the balls roledl out, may the gods grant the purpura team the middle left, may the swift stars grant Celeres' horses to run like the wind, and that the foot of no living thing will pass them, let them run and not become weary or stumble. Let no harm come to Romulus, their driver, and let no magic or steghieri be performed against him and his team.

Vale
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

curse!

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:03 pm

Salvete,

...and let no magic or steghieri be performed against him and his team.

Good idea! Where can I find a magician to put a spell on the other teams? :twisted:

But, no doubt about it, Praesina will win! Where can I put my money on them? :wink:

Valete!

Loc
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Next