Gladiators

Everything related to the ludi circenses and its teams or workings, including games or contests in the Societas Via Romana. Bring on the fun!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Gladiators

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:20 pm

Salvete Romani,

I am currently planning on writing an essay about Roman gladiators and would like to know if any of you could recommend certain books or sites to me.

thanks and valete,
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Literature on Gladiators

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Mon May 21, 2007 10:06 pm

Salvete Omnes,

Although this question by Tiberius Diyonisius Draco is rather old I still think others might be also interested in literature on gladiators therefore please find herewith the list I have like that also on my website:

Literature
Bomgardner, David L. The Story of the Roman Amphitheatre, Routledge, London and New York, 2000.
Coleman, Kathleen. Missio at Halicarnassos. In: Harvard Studies in Classical Philology, Vol. 100, Harvard University Press, 2000.
Junkelmann, Marcus. Das Spiel mit dem Tod - So kämpften Roms Gladiatoren. Philipp von Zabern, 2000.
Köhne, Eckart and Cornelia Ewigleben. Caesaren und Gladiatoren - Die Macht der Unterhaltung im antiken Rom. Philipp von Zabern, 2000.
Meijer, Fik. Gladiatoren - Das Spiel um Leben und Tod. Patmos Verlag, 2004.
Ministero per i Beni e la Attività Culturali Soprintendenza Archeologica di Roma (Hrsg.). Sangue e Arena (Brochure of the Special Exhibition at the Colosseum, Rom 2001). Electa, 2001.
Murray, Steven: Female Gladiators of the Ancient Roman World. In: Journal of Combative Sport, July 2003.
Österreichisches Archäologisches Institut - Grabung Ephesos (Hrsg.). Tod am Nachmittag - Gladiatoren in Ephesos (Ausstellungskatalog Museum Selçuk), Dogan Gümus, 2002.
Pringle, Heather: Gladiatrix. In: Discover, Vol. 22, No. 12, December 2001.
Shadrake, Susanna. The World of the Gladiator. Tempus Publishing Ltd., 2005.
Teyssier, Eric und Brice Lopez. Gladiateurs - Des Sources à l'Expérimentation. editions errance, 2005.
Wiedemann, Thomas. Kaiser und Gladiatoren. Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft, 1992.
Wisdom, Stephen. Warrior 39: Gladiators 100 BC - AD 200. Osprey Publishing, 2001.
Zoll, Amy. Gladiatrix - The True Story of History's Unknown Woman Warrior. Berkeley Boulevard Books, 2002.
Source: http://www.ludus-nemesis.eu/en/literatur_en.html

There is some more good literature which I didn't update onto the above list so far:

Brunet, Stephen. Female and Dwarf Gladiators. In Mouseion XLVIII - Series III, Vol. 4, 2004
Conolly, Peter. Colosseum - Rome's Arena of Death. BBC Books, 2003.
Futrell, Alison. Blood in the Arena - The Spectacle of Roman Power. University of Texas Press, 1997
Futrell, Alison. The Roman Games - A Sourcebook. Blackwell Publishing, 2006.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Ludi Societatis