AND HERE ARE THE GLADIATORS!

Everything related to the ludi circenses and its teams or workings, including games or contests in the Societas Via Romana. Bring on the fun!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

AND HERE ARE THE GLADIATORS!

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:53 pm

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,

For the first time in the Societas Via Romana, we proudly present:

!!!!!!!!!! Gladiator Combat !!!!!!!!!!

Every participant must submit three gladiators to take part in the combats. Each gladiator must have a unique name. Participants must also choose what type their gladiator will be, chosen from this list:

1. Dimachaerus: he fights with two swords.
2. Eques: he fights on horseback against an other Eques; armed with and sword and small shield.
3. Hoplomachus: he fights with a spear and a semi-round shield, also holds a sword to use if necessary.
4. Murmillo: he fights with a long sword (spatha) and a round or rectangular shield; wears a helmet with a fish on top.
5. Retiarius: he fights with a net and trident, has a dagger to use if necessary; wears only light protection.
6. Secutor: he fights with a sword, wears a large round or rectangular shield and a plumed helmet.
7. Thraex: he fights with a small round shield and a scimitar/sabre.

Participants can choose three gladiators of the same type, or three different types, or two of the same type, etc.

In choosing the types of your gladiators, the following should be taken into account:
• Each gladiator type has its own specific ‘moves’ (see further).
• Each gladiator type has different hit points (see further).

Like in the Ludi Circenses, each gladiator also has four features, and eight points should be divided among them by the participant (please not that ‘force’ already has a certain value according to the weapons of the gladiator type – see further). The four features are: ‘force’, ‘speed’, ‘dexterity’ and ‘tactics’.

The combat will be as follows: Gladiators are drawn by lots to form fighting pairs, taking into account that certain gladiator types can only fight some specific other types (see further). If no opponent is available, a random fighter will be created. Then the dice is thrown to determine which fighter begins the fight.

And then the actual combat starts. At every turn (one move) the dice is thrown and the appropriate action (see further) is executed. Thus six actions are possible for each gladiator type. Then hit points are extracted, if appropriate. And then the turn goes to the opponent. The gladiator who first loses all his hit points, loses the combat.

These are the gladiator types who are limited in their possible opponent types (otherwise almost all combinations are possible):
1. Eques: only against Eques
2. Retiarius: never against Retiarius
3. Thraex: never against Retiarius

And here are the gladiator types, with their hit points, their standard ‘force’ points, and their six moves, plus the amount of ‘force’ (F), ‘speed’ (S), ‘dexterity’ (D) and ‘tactics’ (T) needed for each move.

1. Dimachaerus: 30 hit points -- force: 4 (2 gladii)
1: attack with one sword to breast (5 hit points damage to opponent) F3
2: defend with two swords against coming attack (-5 hit points damage to opponent at next turn) T3 D3
3: hold off opponent with one sword whilst attacking with the other (10 hit points damage to opponent) D4 F2 T2
4: kick opponent to the ground (turn stays with gladiator, can perform other action) F5 S3
5: attack opponent sword arm (5 hit points damage to opponent - opponent loses 1 force in rest of combat) F2 T4
6: use two swords to chop off opponent head (immediate death if not defended) F5 S4 D5

2. Eques: 25 hit points -- force: 2 (gladius)
1: attack with sword to breast (5 hit points damage to opponent) F3
2: hit opponent with shield (opponent dizzy so gladiator moves again) F3 S2 T4
3: defend with shield and sword against next move (-5 hit points damage to opponent next turn) D3 T3
4: kick opponent off his horse (turn stays with gladiator, can perform other action) F5 S3
5: attack opponent sword arm (5 hit points damage to opponent - opponent loses 1 force in rest of combat) F2 T4
6: jump off horse and kill opponent horse (10 hit points damage to opponent) S2 F3 T2

3. Hoplomachus: 35 hit points -- force: 5 (spear – gladius)
2: thrust forward with spear (15 hit points damage to opponent) F6 S3
3: defend with spear and attack with sword (10 hit points damage to opponent) F2 D3 T4
4: kick opponent to the ground (turn stays with gladiator, can perform other action) F5 S3
6: legionary’s attack with fast moving sword (10 hit points damage to opponent) F4 S5 T3

4. Murmillo: 30 hit points -- force: 3 (spatha)
1: attack with sword to breast (10 hit points damage to opponent) F3
2: hit opponent with shield (opponent dizzy so gladiator moves again) F3 S2 T4
3: defend with shield and sword against next move (-5 hit points damage to opponent next turn) D3 T3
5: attack opponent sword arm (5 hit points damage to opponent - opponent loses 2 force in rest of combat) F2 T4
6: heavy slashing move with spatha (10 hit points damage to opponent) F5 D4

5. Retiarius: 25 hit points -- force: 4 (trident – dagger)
1: attack with dagger to breast (opponent loses 1 speed in rest of combat) F2
2: throw net over opponent (two extra turns for gladiator) S2 D4 T3
3: distract with net and attack with trident (5 hit points damage to opponent) F3 D3 T3
5: thrust forward with trident (10 hit points damage to opponent) F4 S4
6: throw trident from a distance (10 hit points damage to opponent) F6 S6 D4

6. Secutor: 30 hit points -- force: 2 (gladius)
2: cut net if trapped (see retiarius nr. 2) F3 D4
3: hit opponent with shield (opponent dizzy so gladiator moves again) F3 S2 T4
5: defend with shield and attack with sword (10 hit points damage to opponent) F2 D3 T4
6: legionary’s attack with fast moving sword (15 hit points damage to opponent) F4 S5 T3

7. Thraex: 25 hit points -- force: 2 (sword)
2: complete defence (no hit points lost in next turn) D3 T2
3: throw shield (opponent dizzy so move again) F4 D4
5: Thracian “flashing sword” attack (10 hit points damage to opponent) S4 D4
6: cut opponent’s throat (immediate death if not defended) S5 D6 T4

And to make everything clear, here is a test fight fought between a Hoplomachus and a Thraex.

Hoplomachus (35 hit points); I divided the 8 points as follows:
Force: 2 (standard) + 1
Speed: 3
Dexterity: 0
Tactics: 4

Thraex (25 hit points); I divided the 8 points as follows:
Force: 2 (standard) + 2
Speed: 0
Dexterity: 4
Tactics: 2

The dice determined Hoplomachus (35) would begin the fight.

Hoplomachus (35) throws 2 (hit opponent with shield) – needs F3 S2 T4
Hoplomachus (35) has necessary points; Hoplomachus (35) moves again.
Hoplomachus (35) throws 6 (legionary’s attack with fast moving sword) – needs F4 S5 T3
Hoplomachus (35) does not have necessary points; turn to Thraex (25)

Thraex (25) throws 2 (complete defence) – needs D3 T2
Thraex (25) has necessary points; Thraex will not loose any hit points in next turn
Turn goes to Hoplomachus (35)

Hoplomachus (35) throws 6 (legionary’s attack with fast moving sword) – needs F4 S5 T3
Hoplomachus (35) does not has necessary points; turn to Thraex (25)

Thraex (25) throws 3 (throw shield) – needs F4 D4
Thraex (25) has necessary points; Hoplomachus (35) loses 5 hit points and Thraex (25) moves again.
Thraex (25) throws 4 (kick enemy to the ground) – needs F5 S3
Thraex (25) does not have necessary points; turn to Hoplomachus (30)

Hoplomachus (30) throws 3 (defend with shield and sword) – needs D3 T3
Hoplomachus (30) has necessary points; Thraex (30) loses 5 hit points and Hoplomachus (30) moves again.
Hoplomachus (30) throws 3 (defend with shield and sword) – needs D3 T3
Hoplomachus (30) has necessary points; Thraex (25) loses 5 hit points and Hoplomachus (30) moves again.
Hoplomachus (30) throws 5 (attack enemy sword arm) – needs F2 T4
Hoplomachus (30) has necessary points; Thraex (25) loses 10 hit points
Turn goes to Thraex (15)

Thraex (15) throws 3 (throw shield) – needs F4 D4
Thraex (15) has necessary points; Hoplomachus (30) loses 5 hit points and Thraex (25) moves again.
Thraex (15) throws 5 (Thracian flashing sword attack) – needs S4 D4
Thraex (15) has necessary points; Hoplomachus (25) loses 10 hit points
Turn goes to Hoplomachus (15)

Hoplomachus (15) throws 2 (hit opponent with shield) – needs F3 S2 T4
Hoplomachus (15) has necessary points; Hoplomachus (15) moves again.
Hoplomachus (15) throws 5 (attack enemy sword arm) – needs F2 T4
Hoplomachus (15) has necessary points; Thraex (15) loses 10 hit points
Turn goes to Thraex (5)

Thraex (5) throws 5 (Thracian flashing sword attack) – needs S4 D4
Thraex (5) has necessary points; Hoplomachus (15) loses 10 hit points
Turn goes to Hoplomachus (5)

Hoplomachus (5) throws 2 (hit opponent with shield) – needs F3 S2 T4
Hoplomachus (5) has necessary points; Hoplomachus (5) moves again.
Hoplomachus (5) throws 6 (legionary’s attack with fast moving sword) – needs F4 S5 T3
Hoplomachus (5) does not has necessary points; turn to Thraex (5)

Thraex (5) throws 1 (attack with sword to breast) – needs F3
Thraex (5) has necessary points; Hoplomachus (5) loses 5 hit points
Hoplomachus (0) loses.

Please note that in the future a fight will never appear on our forum in this form, but in a more story-like form, as if it was written by a news reporter (like the race descriptions of the Ludi Circenses).

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE?
Send me a pm or an email (pudionmus@yahoo.com) with the following information:
• Your SVR-name
• Your three gladiators, with their name, type and the points you divided among the features ‘force’, ‘speed’, ‘dexterity’ and ‘tactics’.

In the next Ludi Societatis the first gladiators will enter the arena! So send your subscriptions, everyone!

Vale bene
Publius Dionysius Mus

No Spartiate soul left alive to tell
How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
(Ancient Rites - Thermopylae)
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:12 pm

Addendum:

You can see some images of the gladiator types on this page (not always very accurate, but until I find some better images these will have to be used).

Vale bene
Publius Dionysius Mus

How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:29 pm

Salve Mus!

wow, you've obviously put a lot of work and thought into this. I like the idea of having gladiator fights. You can expect my first batch of gladiators soon.

And, just a quick question aside, can we have female gladiators aswel?

Vale bene!
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:25 pm

Salvete!

Some additions:

As Curio pointed out to me, in the test fight "some of the Hoplomachus stats and moves were taken from the Eques". This is because I was wrong in my first draft of the rules. So everything in the rules section is correct, but I forgot to adapt the test fight. No harm done, however, the test fight is only to show how the game works.

Curio also pointed out to me that "some of the moves are actually unattainable". This is indeed something important I forgot to mention: When your gladiator wins a fight, he will be awarded a prize. Among the prizes there is also the possibility to gain new points in Force, Speed, Dexterity and Tactics. Thus the currently unattainable moves will become available as your gladiator earns his prizes.

And as an answer to the question of Tiberius Draco on allowing female gladiators: For now no female gladiators are allowed, but I do like the idea. So I will create a new, special female gladiator type in the near future. As some of you may already know, there are a lot of other gladiator types used in ancient Rome. I had planned to launch a new gladiator type every now and then, to 'refresh' the gameplay.

If there are any more questions or if there is more explanation needed, please let me know!

Vale bene
Publius Dionysius Mus

How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:51 pm

Salve

Publius Dionysius Mus wrote:

Curio also pointed out to me that "some of the moves are actually unattainable". This is indeed something important I forgot to mention: When your gladiator wins a fight, he will be awarded a prize. Among the prizes there is also the possibility to gain new points in Force, Speed, Dexterity and Tactics. Thus the currently unattainable moves will become available as your gladiator earns his prizes.

I wondered that myself as the Dimachaerus, Murmillo, Thraex and Secator seemed disadvantaged. So is there a date by which we must enter? I have a non-member who is interested in participating and still needs to join.
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:55 pm

Salvete!

THE FIRST GLADIATOR GAMES WILL BE HELD DURING THE LUDI CONDITIONIS ROMAE, ON APRIL 21st.

Subscriptions for the gladiator games should be sent before Sunday April 17th, 20.00h Roma time.

Valete bene!
Publius Dionysius Mus

How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:58 pm

Salvete Aediles et omnes

Publius Dionysius Mus wrote:And as an answer to the question of Tiberius Draco on allowing female gladiators: For now no female gladiators are allowed, but I do like the idea. So I will create a new, special female gladiator type in the near future.

What is this? "no females allowed"? Praetores, per favore, take note, does this not violate our Regula Fundamentalis III.1.a? No women gladiators indeed. Why I could easily pull together a team from that bevy clustering around Romulus Felix right now. Or head to the Piscina Publica where there are a number of mulieres togae to form a team of murmillones. What would be more fitting than armored women helmed with fish. And the Spurinae, who so justly take their rest after substituting for the matrones principes Romanorum while they observed abstinence for Ceres' sake. The Arena shall prove less inviolating and invigorating for them. Speaking of which, why do you intend to draw me from the festivities of the Ludi Cerreri in order to field a team, and then on the day of the contests to hasten me from my smoldering piles of bean stalks and the ordering of my flocks' purification, that I can witness the games? On top of which you wish to deprive me of seeing female gladiators! Why is this? Why, a team of lupae I'll call together now. Is it that you wish to spare some men the embarrassment of being bested by a woman? Why I know three lupae that have bested many a man, both in private and public, why not in the Arena? Why deprive us of such an entertainment?

Meanwhile, Aediles, has anyone placed a bid on the contract for collecting the gladiators' sweat? I might like to add to the fortune I am already making from the phials and perfumes drawn from Romulus Felix.

Valete et vivete optime in pacem Cerreri
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Gladiatrices

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:06 am

Salvete,amici...

Female Gladiators, huh...I'm not sold on the idea, but okay. But only one type?? --Magistri, if we are going to have women in the arena, we have to give them as many options as the men. Anything less would be discrimination, which the gals will fight until they win parity the hard way, and after much time, energy and expense. So if it's going to turn out the same way anyhow, why not start them off with a decent set of options and save ourselves the protests?

We could, in the interests of a fair fight, do as is done with the cavalry-types and only allow women to fight women. But there must be more than one class of female gladiator if we are to have any. Womens' fighting-styles are not all the same; neither is their ability to get things done while wearing various weights of armor. As with the fellas, some throw better than they punch; and the affinity of young girls for horses is nearly universal. The slim ones may train to fight one way, the good, stocky ones another. We must make room for those differences--not least because they make for a better fight!

Mea sententia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:32 am

Salvete omnes,

Mi Mari, what you say about female gladiators makes sense. I think your comment about young women and horses could be especially useful - this would enable the Eques to have opponents other than gladiators of his own fighting style, since perhaps 2 or 3 different horse-riding gladiators could be designed. Does anyone here know the historical accuracy of such a possibility?

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:46 pm

Salvete!

Female gladiators will be allowed from the next Ludi on. For the upcoming Ludi there will be only male gladiators.

I will add a section on female gladiators to the rules. It will problably be as follows: women will only be able to fight other women, and they will have the possibility to choose the same types as the male gladiators.

So start looking for good females to fight in the next Ludi!

Valete bene
Publius Dionysius Mus

How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:17 pm

Well I don't know how good they are, but they can fight, and I have already submitted a team of mulieres togae who look forward to having opponents. Male opponents will due for them too. :twisted:
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:14 pm

Salvete,

I was just reading the Cena Trimalchionis for my ancient history exam, so I thought I should quote the passus in which a gladiatrix (to be precise, a woman who fought in a war-chariot) is mentioned :

Et ecce habituri sumus munus excellente in triduo die festa; familia non lanisticia, sed plurimi liberti. Et Titus noster magnum animum habet, et est caldicerebrius... Iam Manios aliquot habet et mulierem essedariam et dispensatorem Glyconis, qui deprehensus est cum dominam suam delectaretur. (Petronius, Satyricon, XLV)

Valete,

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:42 pm

Salvete omnes,

Test your knowledge of the different types of gladiators and their armour at : http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/romans/launch_gms_gladiator.shtml#

Valete,

Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Return to Ludi Societatis