Of Scolias, Scopias, bad memories, etc

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Of Scolias, Scopias, bad memories, etc

Postby Curio Agelastus on Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:26 pm

Salvete omnes,

I recently read in an excellent book by H.H. Scullard that the grandson of the famous one, also called Marcus Licinius Crassus, request of Octavian and was denied the honour of the... um... Scolia/Scopia something or other... I forget what its exact name was. It was awarded for killing the enemy leader in close combat, and apparently only two leaders had received it since the mythical Romulus. Who were they?

Many thanks!

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Them Spoils

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:02 am

You may be thinking of the "Spolia Opimia" (I kept wanting it to be 'Optima', but the words on the page wouldn't budge). I'm not entirely sure of the translation--"(something) Spoils", anyway--but the item in question was a trophy-mount featuring the armor and weapons of the deceased enemy commander, presented to the Roman commander who'd killed him. As the Roman army was much bigger on teamwork than on individual displays of derring-do, I am not surprised that the chance to strip said enemy of his armor would remain rather rare.

As to who had merited this award...I imagine Aeneas might have taken Turnus' gear, though I don't recall Virgil saying so. If Romulus won the prize, I hope it wasn't from his brother. [shudder] But I am away from my references at the moment, and it is a rather specialized search...so I shall see what I can dig up, and try to post back in the next day or two.

In amicitia et fides (In friendship and faith),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:10 am

Salvete mi amici

The first instance was Romulus, and his dedication of the spoils to Jupiter Ferentius was taken to be the first temple consecrated at Rome (Livy 1.10.1-5). Next was Cossus who killed the Etruscan king Tolumnius with his own hands in 437 BCE, and then Claudius Marcellus who defeated the Gaul Britomartus in 222 BCE. On what the spoila opima entailed, see Festus p. 204.

Valete
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:47 pm

Salve Coruncani

Gratias. Some interesting details. Good point on being skeptical of our available sources. A similar controversy, I believe, surrounds the distinction of a triumph and lesser honors, depending upon who held the the auspices during victory. Could you elaborate on that one too.

Vale
Moravius Piscinus
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:19 pm

Salvete omnes,

Thanks for the answers, and especially for the excellent info you provided, Coruncanius.

I get the idea from somewhere (I suspect McCullough, unfortunately) that Mamercus, relative of Livius Drusus, slew Silo, leader of the Marsi in the Social War, in single combat. Is that substantiated by the sources? If so, would I be right in assuming that he didn't receive the Spolia Opima because it was Metellus Pius who commanded the Roman forces in that battle, rather than Mamercus?

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Return to Collegium Historicum