Roman emperors test

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:48 pm

Salvete Amici,

I played this emperor game yesterday and was shocked that my #1 was Claudius. Wasn't he considered retarded and only brought to power by the Praetorian Guard? Help me.

I don't recall which were my top five emperors as I was looking only for the #1. But I remember that my two favorite emperors Augustus and Marcus Aurelius were not among the top five. :(
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:46 am

Salve Cleopatra,

Claudius was not that bad. At least he was not an incompetent buffoon. The handicaped and retarded card is often played out by historians or entertainers who only read Suetonius :).

Es ist übrigens gut, hier jemanden zu treffen, die Deutsch als Muttersprache hat. Dann kann ich mich mehr üben, hehe (und der Locatus auch, der wohnt jetzt in Berlin).

Optime vale,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:32 am

Salva sis Cleopatra

Arguably Claudius was one of the more effective emperors, and certainly one of the more scholarly emperors. That you should have some affinity with Claudius may show that you have hidden administrative talents.

Di te ament
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:45 pm

Salvete Draco et Piscine,

Thanks guys to put me in the right picture that Claudius wasn't that bad of an Emperor.

Administrative Talent...? Hmm, sometimes I could organize things, that's true though. And that's really not a bad thing.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:46 pm

As I said earlier (well really Cn. Dionysius Draco in response to my rant about it) it isn't that accurate. I didn't even get Marcus Aurelius on my list, and he is the emporer I admire most.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:37 pm

Salve Scerio

No online personality test will be accurate; they're just for fun, some better than others. But your admiration of Marcus Aurelius does not mean you would have the same traits as he. You might try instead the one we had on philosophers and see how you rank with your favored emperor.
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:01 am

Salve Piscine,
What traits do I not share? I am a lover of the humanities, a stoic at heart, but have enough of a social life to still be considered human. It does not bother me that my mother is dead, is that not what he wrote. Wait, I know that was what he wrote, I read it. If I do not match him, I certainly match his writings.
Vale
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:33 pm

Salve Scerio

Q. Valerius Scerio wrote:Salve Piscine,
What traits do I not share? I am a lover of the humanities, a stoic at heart, but have enough of a social life to still be considered human. It does not bother me that my mother is dead, is that not what he wrote. Wait, I know that was what he wrote, I read it. If I do not match him, I certainly match his writings.
Vale

Em, I could say I am a lover of the humanities, long enough at least to attain a degree. I was raised to be a Stoic. I was pleased for my mother that she was able to die as she did, when she did. And I even once ruled my own little empire, a small corporation actually. So now do I match up with Marcus Aurelius or with Valerius Scerio, and should it please me or not that I should be taken as another? I forget now where Marcus Aurelius placed when I took the philosopher's test or the emperors' test, or what it was meant to say about me.

Vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:08 am

Salvete omnes,

Philosophically speaking, it could be argued that just because you personally sympathise, relate and identify with a specific emperor does not mean that you are actually like him. In that respect, it does not matter that you particularly relate to Marcus Aurelius, or even think that you are like him - it is our nature to accentuate the qualities that match a person we admire. For instance, I particularly relate to Tiberius, and indeed like to think I'm quite like him in some ways. Am I like him? It's impossible to tell, my opinion in this case is not even remotely objective, so I reserve judgement. In this way, your results are perhaps not as inaccurate as you might think.

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Previous

Return to Collegium Historicum