Family tree?

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:47 pm

P. Dionysius Mus omnibus salutem

Some useful sources for a project like this:

"Pauly's Realenzyklopädie der classischen Altertumswissenschaft" - THE reference work for all research on classical history, very good for a first introduction to a subject.

His 'brother', more recent:
"Der Neue Pauly" - information at http://www.metzlerverlag.de/show.php?isbn=3-476-01470-3

RS Broughton: "The magistrates of the Roman Republic"
1. 509 BC - 100 BC (New York, 1951)
2. 100 BC - 31 BC (New York, 1952)
3. Supplement (New York, 1961)

Of course next to all classical sources, mainly Titus Livius, Marcus Tullius Cicero (asd has been quoted here before) adn other classical authors.

Optamo vobis bene valere
Publius Dionysius Mus

No Spartiate soul left alive to tell
How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
(Ancient Rites - Thermopylae)
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:02 pm

Salve Mus,

A first introduction eh? That work is, iirc, HUGE! :D

By the way, I'm not sure if translations of it are extant. In the university of Ghent only the German version is available.

Vale,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Small Delay

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:39 am

Salvete amici...

I regret to announce that, due to a personal tragedy, it may be a while before I start posting my notes on the Roman families that I've mentioned. I simply haven't the heart to put into the project at the moment. I do apologize for leaving you hanging, and hope that you will find the eventual results to be worth the wait.

In fide, or best close approximation thereof...
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:08 pm

Salve mi Mari,

I'm sorry to hear of your personal tragedy. My thoughts are with you. Don't worry about the Roman families until you feel ready to deal with outside projects again.

Bene vale amice,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Bummer

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:27 am

Ave, mi Curio...

...et gratias tibi ago for a comforting word, timely and well-said. >({|:`)

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Back, and as promised...

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:52 pm

Avete amici! "Maior e longinquo reverentia" (Some things are best admired from a distance), it is said, but I didn't think this project should be one of them!

OK, OK, I plumped these out a little. 'Twas the least I could do after making you wait. These won't fit on an index card anymore (unless you physically cut-and-paste the printout to the card), but I like them better now.

First up: Them Mariusesses!

-- Praenomina in use: Gaius, Lucius, Marcus, Sextus, Publius

Some Marii:
-- Gaius Marius [157-86bce] - *the* Gaius Marius, first of his clan to rise out of obscurity. Praetor Hispaniensis, Legate; seven times Consul, victor over Jugurtha (in Rome's version of the Vietnam War), vanquisher of the Cimbri and the Teutones (invading Germanic tribes), commander during the Social War, Third Founder of Rome, tireless fighter for the rights of his Head Count veterans. Or, as Asterix might put it, 'The Indomitablest!!' Fell from favor thanks to his ex-legatus Sulla and his own ineptitude at domestic politics; fled into exile under threat of death; returned Mad-As-Hell and maybe a little crazy several months later; died of a stroke a few days after being inaugurated into his seventh Consulship.

-- Gaius Marius the Younger [d. 82bce] - son of the famous one; Consul in 82bce; died that same year by his own hand rather than surrender to Sulla Dictator. This may have been what prompted Swill--err, Sulla to violate the father's tomb and scatter his bones.

-- Marcus Marius Gratidianus [d. 81bce?] - the elder Marius' adopted nephew. Praetor, 85-84bce. Possibly killed by Catilina's men in 81bce. The Catilinarians later marched under one of Marius' Eagles; is this where they got it?

-- Marcus Marius [?] -- friend of Cicero, mentioned in the Letters

-- Sextus Marius [d. 33ce] - Falsely accused of subversion by Calpurnius Salvianus in 25ce; case was brought to Drusus, son of the Emperor Tiberius, who promptly dismissed it...and banished Calpurnius. Marius known later for his wealth, mostly from gold, copper mines in Spain. Could be why he was executed eight years later for 'incest' during Tiberius' 'Reign of Terror'; I suspect his mines informed on him.

-- Publius Marius Celsus [cos. 62ce] -- Consul under Nero. Commanded a Legion (the XV Apollinaris) in Nero's Parthian campaign, marching out of Pannonia; invaded Armenia, 63ce.

-- Marius Nepos [?] - Either resigned or was removed from the Senate by Tiberius. Another wealthy fellow.

-- Marcus Marius [various] - Several men of this name are recorded from Pompeii at the time of the eruption, 79ce. Most of them had vineyards; one ran for town commissioner (not sure of the exact title).

-- Lucius Marius Maximus Perpetuus Aurelianus [b. 158ce] - Historian and family polynomial (most of us had two names, rarely three). Wrote continuation of Twelve Caesars, covering Nerva to Elagabalus; now lost.

There ya be; a Marius for every day of the (8-day) Roman week, and then some. You like...?

Back Again,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:40 pm

Salve mi Mari,

I like, I like! :D

This is great - just the kind of thing I was thinking of. I'll try and get something similar for the Metelli. However, now that I've finished my three weeks off, the work's piled on... So I'll get it done when I can find a spare moment.

Bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

S OK (It's Okay)

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:02 am

It is well, mi Curio (and glad to know my long-ago project meets your present-day specs so nicely)! --That'll just give me time to get the Fulvii, the Petronii and the Valerii up here.

'Tis a pleasure!!

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:23 pm

FYI, De Imperatoribus Romanis (I think www.romanemperors.org) has a huge archive of imperial stemmata.

Vale,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Gens Fulvia!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:26 pm

Salvete, amici...!

Sorry it took so long to get these up here, but the Fulvii had more Famous Names than any other gens in my project, so I had to at least try to find out something about each of them. As will be seen, I was not always successful. (Makes ya realize how much of the Heritage we've lost, nonne?)

The Fulvii were a Plebeian gens who nevertheless had a lock on the Consulship for most of the 3rd and 2nd Centuries b.c.e. Towards the tail-end of that period, they seem to have gotten on the wrong side of every issue deemed important by the Powers That Be. They were early and important supporters of the Gracchi, opponents of the Triumvirate, and I imagine those few of them who lived to see it were none too fond of the Principate. Principled men and women, these--and not at all afraid to die for their various causes.

Here they are...

[gens Fulvia:]
Praenomina in use: Gaius, Gnaeus, Lucius, Marcus, Quintus, Sextus

Some Fulvii:
-- Lucius Fulvius Curvus [cos. 322bce]

-- Marcus Fulvius Curvus [cos. suff. 305bce]

-- Marcus Fulvius Paetinus [cos. 299bce]

-- Gnaeus Fulvius Maximus Centamalus [cos. 298bce]

-- Gaius Fulvius Curvus [aed. 295bce]

-- Gaius Fulvius Centamalus [cos 229/211bce]

-- Sextus Fulvius Paetinus Nobilior [cos. 225bce]

-- Quintus Fulvius Flaccus [cos. 224, 212, 209bce(!!)] - possibly two or three different men

-- Gaius Fulvius Flaccus

-- Marcus Fulvius Nobilior [cos. 189, Censor 179bce] - Triumphed in 187 for victories in Greece while Consul. Later, quite the Grecophile himself; also patron of the poet Ennius.

-- Gnaeus Fulvius Flaccus

-- Quintus Fulvius Gillo

-- Marcus Fulvius Flaccus [cos 125bce] - Supporter of the Gracchi. On Ti. Gracchus' Agrarian Commission, 130bce; pushed for extension of citizenship to non-Roman Italian landowners. As Consul, celebrated a triumph for victories in Gallia. Only ex-Consul ever known to have run for Tribune of the Plebs. Served with G. Gracchus, 122bce; killed along with him in 121.

-- Fulvia [d. 40bce] - wife of Publius Clodius (yes, *that* Clodius) and, later, of Marc Antony. Clashed with Octavian, to the point of provoking warfare, while defending Antony's interests...meanwhile the 'gallant' Antony was most famously cheating on her in Egypt!

-- ? Fulvius Pius

-- Gaius Fulvius Plautianus ['that last-of-the-Fulvius fellow'; cos. 203ce, Praef. Praet. to 205] - Possible kinsman of Septimius Severus; they did share the same hometown (Leptis Magna of north Africa). Overreached himself; accused of plotting to assassinate Severus and his son Caracalla; executed in 205ce. Father of Caracalla's wife, Publia Flavia Plautilla [d. 212].

OK, that's enough of 'em to last ya two nundinae,, and maybe a little longer if that one fellow was actually triplets. >({|;-)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Salvete Omnes

Postby Anonymous on Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:21 pm

This seems to be a nice place.

About family trees, I think most books dealing with the late republic or early principate have ones.

The basic studies on family ties in the nobilitas in this period are Syme´s Roman Revolution, Augustan Aristocracy, Tacitus, and other works.

As for the early republic, we have little historical evidence and almost no epigraphical, so making them is nearly impossible.

Drusus
Anonymous

Previous

Return to Collegium Historicum