Ancient temples on Malta

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Postby Anonymous on Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:52 pm

Salvete!

According to the website I linked the Ggantija temples on my island which to my knowledge is the oldest of all the temples in the archipelago was built 3,600-3,000 BCE, supposedly the oldest in the world.

Valete!
Lucius Aurelius Flavus.
Anonymous

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:41 pm

Ave,

Fascinating stuff mi Flave! Could they belong to the pre-Indo-European culture in Europe? Some scholars believe that in fact Etruscan culture was a mixed descendant from this non-IE culture (as were several isolated island cultures in the Aegean, which have shown some parallels to Etruscan on tablets found there, although some, again, claim that the tablets were put there by Etruscans).

It is certain that the pre-IE culture has left us with many, many riddles running throughout the history of Europe.

Vale bene,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:29 am

Salve Draco!

Yes to my knowledge, the prehistoric were made by pre-Indo European European people, probably of a Mediterranid racial stock. Unfortunately I did not find much information regarding this topic, and I will try to enquire some sources regarding this. I hope that the University of Malta has an Archaeology department that could answer similar questions.

From my now limited (I used to know more, but I need to revise) knowledge of the history of our archipelago I know that the temple builders were supposed to have come from North, that is, from Sicily, but that could be just a theory. It is incredible that so much is said of these temples here but even though human remains were found, I have never found any information related to anthropology regarding the humans found in these temples. The Hal Saflieni Hypogeum was a burial place (situated underground, don't ask me how they built it, it is still a mystery) were such remains were found.

But one thing I am quite sure of, they were most probably if not certainly pre-Indo-European.

Unfortunately my knowledge is limited, but I'll try to acquire more of it.

P.S. I suggest you split this thread since it has gone quite a bit off-topic.

Vale optime!
Lucius Aurelius Flavus.
Anonymous

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:58 pm

Voilà, post split :-P.

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Historicum