Numismatic find

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Numismatic find

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:14 pm

Salvete,

This morning, an acquantaince came to show me a presumably ancient coin she found during digging works at a building plot.

On the obverse, it shows a beautiful image of Alexander the Great, on the reverse, there are two fishes and a lot of little dots and stars (does anyone know if this is a known type ?). The weight is 67 g., the diameter 54 mm, the die axis 12 o' clock. There is no legenda (text) on it.

I do have strong doubts about its authenticity though :

1) The piece looks almost too well preserved to be true.
2) The metal appears to be copper, strange for a coin of this size, and strange also that the original colour of the copper still faintly shows through at certain of the mentioned dots (one would expect the coin to be entirely oxydated after over two millenia).
3) Something resembling a joint seems to show through on the sides. As ancient coins were minted, not cast or pressed, this appears quite suspect.
4) Few coins are found here in Belgium and a coin of Alexander would seem even stranger, unless it is a Celtic copy, but then again, one would expect the Alexander image to be less true to the original.

You see I'm not optimistic about the authenticity of the piece, although I don't expect the acquantaince to be fooling me about the circumstances in which she acquired it. However, I will show the coin to the professor of numismatics at our university after the Easter holidays, and will inform you wether it is real or forged, and whether it will make rich or not :lol:

To be continued :wink:
Valete,

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:25 pm

Salvete,

A meeting I just had with another person who knows something about numismatics confirmed me in my strong conviction that I'm dealing with a fake. She also argued that it was to thin to be a real Greek coin. Well, so far about getting rich, unless of course it is a Renaissance falsification, as those are often worth several times the value of the original. Especially the falsifications of the "Paduans" (i.e. from Padua, the most famous of them was Giovanni Cavino, 1500-1570), are very sought-after and rare collectors items. Well, what is Aristoteles, who said that "hope is the dream of a waking man" ? :wink:

Valete,

Atticus
Praetor

Senator
Senator

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:29 pm

Salve Attice!

Can you scan the coin and post it here? This should work with a normal flatbed scanner (I scanned my own coins and it works perfectly).

It seems indeed a rather strange coin... I would however like to see it, if possible.

Vale bene
Publius Dionysius Mus

No Spartiate soul left alive to tell
How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
(Ancient Rites - Thermopylae)
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:53 pm

Salve Mus,

Ecce. Forged, but quite beautiful nonetheless :

Obverse :

Reverse :

Vale,

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

Senator
Senator

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:18 pm

Hey there, you would-be-rich man :wink:

I am the first to say that I am quite a layman in numismatics ( exept maybe on Chinese coinage, who would have guessed thàt, huh), but Having read your findings, I think it is a fake.

But nevertheless, I like the patina!

Greetings to ye all, amici
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

A visit to the Aquarium

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:53 pm

Avete...

The seam on the edge (if that's what it is) is a giveaway; the perfect die axis is a dead giveaway--the ancients seldom if ever got perfect alignment of front and back, which leads me to suspect that wasn't a priority for them. Well, all right, it's a fake, you gentles already figured that out without my help. But what really tore it for me was those fish...! They are not fish that ever swam in Mediterranean seas. They look fresh out of a tropical aquarium. Like the forger just flipped open a fish-hobbyist's reference manual and said to himself, "Yeah, those look good." And I'd've expected way more wear on the scales and on those preposterous fins, too...

On another note, there was also a very famous Renaissance forger of Roman coins in England (I believe) named Becker. (He must've been famous, I've heard of him...and we all know Mari doesn't get out much.) He replicated Roman coins because he liked them and found beauty in them; his repros were, in some cases, nicer than the originals. Like Cavino's, they are worth quite a bit if you can find them. But the authorities didn't want to hear about that he was doing 'sculpture'; apparently that's illegal if it's small and round. They made him destroy his equipment. At least that's what I heard. I may have it all wrong except the name.

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Historicum