Queston on early Byzantine history

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Queston on early Byzantine history

Postby Curio Agelastus on Mon May 17, 2004 12:00 am

Salvete,

A slightly off-topic question about the early Byzantine Empire, due to the fact that I finally have the time to read through John Julius Norwich's massive history. Does anyone have any thoughts on this work?

My question is about Justinian, who I had always understood to be one of the giants of early Byzantine history. However, although Norwich isn't biased against him as such, his analysis does seem to imply that most of the successes of Justinian's reign were due to the brilliant general Belisarius or Justinian's wife Theodora. Would those of you here versed in Byzantine history agree with such an analysis, or is this taking too much away from Justinian's own abilities?

Bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Mon May 17, 2004 5:01 am

Salve mi Curio

It has been a while since I read a biography of Justinian. I would say it takes away from Justinian's abilities to think it was all Belisarius or Theodora. Justinian was a ruthless politician, not a military man, and one could say a sign of his ability was in choosing lieutenants with ability comparable to his own. Belisarius was not Justinian's only successful general. And Theodora was not some sheltered little princess but a real complement to what Justinian was like. The one thing I most recall in reading their biography is a regret of having missed her stage act.

Vale
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Tue May 18, 2004 10:04 pm

Salve mi Piscine,

But if his ability lay in choosing excellent lieutenants, how would you explain his tendency to dismiss Belisarius from command several times during his life due to suspected conspiracies against him? Especially since Belisarius seems to have been one of the few men who really was working for the glory of the Byzantine Empire.

Once again entirely off-topic, I've just got to the 7th century and the Arab invasion, which seems absolutely fascinating. Does anyone know any good books on the subject?

Bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Anonymous on Thu May 20, 2004 10:36 pm

Salve Curio

It's been a long time since I read any Arab history but I would recommend anything by John Bagot Glubb (aka Glubb Pasha). I can't give you a title and to be honest I'm not sure whether any of his work is still in print but I recall an excellent history of the earliest stage of Islamic history including the first Jihads both in Arabia and against the Byzantines.

Vale
Anonymous

Return to Collegium Historicum