Burial places

Facets of everyday Roman life, from food to travel to petkeeping. "How did the Romans...?" answered here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Burial places

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:31 pm

Salvete,

Thursday Mus and I went to Köln (Colonia Aggripina). They have a beautiful Roman museum with many tombstones (I will try to put some pictures on the site soon). But I wonder: were important officers burried at the places where they died, or were they carried back to Rome? Where were they burried altogether?

Valete,

Locatus
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:03 pm

My knowledge on this topic is very limited, so I can only tell you what I think I know :).

I believe that most officers and certainly soldiers were buried in the location of the area they were stationed. I guess it would be very impractical to drag all corpses back to Rome, certainly in far off places like Dacia, Parthia or Britannia. Perhaps the highest ranking officers would get a burial at Rome, but I think "Lucius Average" was buried on the spot. Perhaps near a garrison town?

Scorpio
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:50 pm

Salve Locatus,

after seeing a documentary about "barbarians" migrating from the north to the south. There was a smal bit about some barbarians ambushing an intire legion of Roman soldiers, chasing them deep into the bushes and leaving them there, the entire legion died. One year later, another legion was sent to retrieve the corpses of the Romans that died there and to bury them somewhere (the documentary didn't mention where). On that point I think my brother is right. But the Romasn did go through al the trouble to get the corpses even at risk of being attacked themselves.

Valete bene,

Hannibal Dionysius Scorpio
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Return to Collegium Vitae Quotidianae