Roman Pubs

Facets of everyday Roman life, from food to travel to petkeeping. "How did the Romans...?" answered here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Roman Pubs

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:54 pm

Salvete omnes,

I just arrived from a visit to the Ploeg (my favorite pub, ask allegra :lol: ) and now (a little tipsy, I had three big gueuzes :wink: ) I asked myself: did they have pubs in Rome too? I know the public life mainly happened on the forum, the thermae and even in the toilets, but did they have pubs?

Valete,

Locatus
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:33 pm

Thermae were usually for the richer people I think.

Bars and such... yes it would be very logical! I know that in Rome there were "snackbars" were many Romans of all classes ate some sort of hasty "lunch", usually outside. I suppose that, reflecting the society, there were those establishments with a better name than others. I'm not sure what kind of drinks they served (wine, water, milk, beer I reckon...) but the food was probably rather simple. Romans liked to save some room in their stomach for the copious diner or cena ;).

Scorpio
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Tue Nov 05, 2002 7:07 am

Salve Locate,

Yes, most of the "snack bars" at Pompeii were found with amphorae of wine stacked in the back. They differ from pubs, however, in that the bars were on the sidewalk so patrons did not actually enter the premises. Wouldn't work in rainy Belgium or England.

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Return to Collegium Vitae Quotidianae