Censorship ?

Facets of everyday Roman life, from food to travel to petkeeping. "How did the Romans...?" answered here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Censorship ?

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:47 pm

Salvete,

Something I've been wondering about for some time: was their (an official) censorship in Rome ? How was this conducted and what period are we talking about then ?

There's of course the infamous damnatio memoriae, but that was a very severe punishment and I think there had to be something in between absolute freedom of speech and damnatio memoriae for every wrong verse.

The only two exemples I can think about are Ovidius and Juvenalis, who were both cast into exile because of what they've written.

So, is there anyone who knows more about this ?

Valete bene
Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

papers

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:24 pm

salvete,

I would like to attach another question: was there any press at all?

Valete,

Locatus
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:48 pm

Salvete Locate et Lupe
I think these questions deal also with the every day life. With the press, there might have been censorship? There might have been press in those days. otherwise who could news have spread from one side of a town to another. Sure there might have been reporters who pretty much documented what happened in his day: fire, riots, etc... Not the kind we have today. The other press was likely to be oral press. Word of conquest was not only documented by the "reporters" of those days by traveled from city to city by only words instead of written texts. But i think that censorship changed with every new leader.
Valete optime
Sokarus Aurelius Orcus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Roman Press: Acta Diurna

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:01 am

Avete amici,

Let's not forget the Acta Diurna, posted daily outside the Senate House in the Forum, which served as the equivalent of the Congressional Record (with tasty newsbits from the Provinces occasionally thrown in).

In fides,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Vitae Quotidianae