Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Postby Anonymous on Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:42 pm

Salvete omnes !
Im new here,I heard about this site from some on another forum..Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

Pax
Caldvs
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Re: New Member

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:59 pm

Caldvs wrote:Salvete everyone,,

Im new here,I heard about this site from some on another forum..Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

Pax
Caldvs

Welcome to S.V.R., Calde !

Enjoy your stay here, and feel free to ask any questions you have about our organization or our forum.

Vale !

Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Senator
Senator

Postby Anonymous on Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:16 pm

Thanks Atticus

Sorry If I dont know all the lingua Latina ,I havent learned all the correct salutations etc. yet.

Even though I have been interested some what in things Roman for a while.I havent delved into it from a religious point of view that much.Ive read some about it and about Strega though..and I did sign up on the N R site in 2004,but was never very active on there..
I have been pagan for about 4 yrs now and on my path I have searched various beliefs including Wicca,Strega,Celtic Recon,Druidism,Asatru/Anglo Saxon Heathenry and some about Religio Romana.I am becoming more interested in Religio Romana though and wish to learn more about it.

Could you tell me How,SVR is different than N R?

Vale!
Caldvs
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:28 pm

Salve Calde,

Don't worry that you don't know much Latin. There's a page on the home page where you could learn the basics so you'll know the short phrases which we use here occasionally.

Since we recently had the discussion how to attract new members I'm sure not just me but some others here as well would like to know how you found the way to us.

Vale optime,
Aelia
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:35 pm

Cleopatra Aelia wrote:Salve Calde,

Don't worry that you don't know much Latin. There's a page on the home page where you could learn the basics so you'll know the short phrases which we use here occasionally.

Since we recently had the discussion how to attract new members I'm sure not just me but some others here as well would like to know how you found the way to us.

Vale optime,
Aelia

Salve Aelia(?)

Well I heard about this site from reading about it on a thread on another forum.. http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=50348

Vale,
Caldvs
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:40 pm

Salvete Omnes!

I have a question about the names..I know on N R you have to choose a 3 part Roman Name,I had read on here though that only certain people had 3 names and most had just 2,is this true and if so why do they require you to belong to a Gens? I understand that most Romans did so in the old days but today we have no real way to check to see if we actually belong to those gens,so why all the emphasis on it today?

Vale!

Caldvs
Anonymous

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:38 pm

Salve Caldi,

Our Regulae are currently being rewritten, so naming requirements are in flux. I imagine that there will be no requirements in the Regulae themselves so specific as to the form of one's name, but the Societas may well adopt guidelines for new members to use. As a new member, you will be able to participate in discussions on naming on equal footing with our oldest members.

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Anonymous on Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:59 pm

Primus Aurelius Tergestus wrote:Salve Caldi,

As a new member, you will be able to participate in discussions on naming on equal footing with our oldest members.

Tergestus

Salve Tergesti(?),

Sorry I dont quit understand what you mean by participate on naming on equal footing...

Why is it that whenever you hear or read about Roman figures,that they always seem to have just 2 names..like Marc Antoni,was his name Marcus Antonius _________?
Anonymous

Postby Q Valerius on Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:52 am

Marcus Antonius, I don't seem to recall a cognomen. They pretty much fluctuate between praenomen/nomen/cognomen and praenomen/nomen. But about equal footing, that means you get a say-so also with equal vote of someone like me. :evil: (j/k).

And welcome to the fora.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Anonymous on Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:11 pm

Q. Valerius Scerio wrote:Marcus Antonius, I don't seem to recall a cognomen. They pretty much fluctuate between praenomen/nomen/cognomen and praenomen/nomen. But about equal footing, that means you get a say-so also with equal vote of someone like me. :evil: (j/k).

And welcome to the fora.

So your name is Q.(praenomen)Valerius(nomen)Scerio(cognomen).
Well I was just approved for the Gens Popillia on N R so guess I have a Roman Name now,but I will still go By Caldvs for short or Marcvs Popillivs,which ever one is more appropriate..

Thats what I thought it meant,Just making sure...Thanks!
And thanks for the welcome!
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:29 pm

Can some one tell me why my avatar isnt working? I tried to download it from my computer and from photobucket . com but to no avail.

Never mind! :D
Anonymous

Key Difference

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:56 am

Salve, Calde (and my apologies for botching your name in the CollLingAnt)...

Amice (Friend)...you're obsessing.

Our tendency not to do so here is one key difference between us and the "Roman Republic Reborn". And it is a big part of the reason why we have evolved into an amicable community, here to share knowledge and perspectives and hare-brained ideas...instead of anything with a history of Factions, Gens Wars, Gender Wars, and Great Big Religious Fusses. (NR has mellowed out quite a bit in the last few years...but their history is still a part of who they are.)

Basically, NR is trying to be a nation. It has land and laws and magistrates. We are trying to be an educational resource. We have Collegia and administrators and meeting-places on the 'Net. Both entities are gathering-spots for those who consider themselves to be Romans-in-spirit. Time will tell whether either organization is serving its audience well, poorly, or not at all.

Welcome again to the SVR. Once you relax a bit, and realize that 'casual' does not necessarily have to mean 'sloppy', nor does a friendly demeanor interfere in the least with scholarship and authenticity, I think you might really like it here.

In amicitia et fide (In Friendship and Faith),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Key Difference

Postby Anonymous on Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:49 pm

Marius Peregrine wrote:Salve, Calde (and my apologies for botching your name in the CollLingAnt)...

Amice (Friend)...you're obsessing.

Our tendency not to do so here is one key difference between us and the "Roman Republic Reborn". And it is a big part of the reason why we have evolved into an amicable community, here to share knowledge and perspectives and hare-brained ideas...instead of anything with a history of Factions, Gens Wars, Gender Wars, and Great Big Religious Fusses. (NR has mellowed out quite a bit in the last few years...but their history is still a part of who they are.)

Basically, NR is trying to be a nation. It has land and laws and magistrates. We are trying to be an educational resource. We have Collegia and administrators and meeting-places on the 'Net. Both entities are gathering-spots for those who consider themselves to be Romans-in-spirit. Time will tell whether either organization is serving its audience well, poorly, or not at all.

Welcome again to the SVR. Once you relax a bit, and realize that 'casual' does not necessarily have to mean 'sloppy', nor does a friendly demeanor interfere in the least with scholarship and authenticity, I think you might really like it here.

In amicitia et fide (In Friendship and Faith),

Salve,Marius Peregrine
No problem...
Sorry if it seemed like I was obsessing,I was just trying to figure them and this group out on the nameing issues...
As for NR all I have to say is that while they are good for some things,others it appears they are not,well thats mo,but they can forget me paying them any taxes..for my own reasons...(one being I dont live on any Roman lands)...

So far I like this place pretty well..except that theres not many active posters..

Oh and you and everyone else can just call me Caldvs or Marcvs..Im not that formal.
Anonymous

Postby Curio Agelastus on Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:14 pm

Salve Calde,

Welcome to SVR! Believe it or not, there are more active posters than it may appear at the moment, but a few of us are slumbering, due to the fact that everyone's trying to work out how to improve SVR, to make it more active, etc... And there are other individual reasons as well; I just moved into a new house, and won't be getting an internet connection there for over a week...

Bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Anonymous on Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:41 pm

Curio Agelastus wrote:Salve Calde,

Welcome to SVR! Believe it or not, there are more active posters than it may appear at the moment, but a few of us are slumbering, due to the fact that everyone's trying to work out how to improve SVR, to make it more active, etc... And there are other individual reasons as well; I just moved into a new house, and won't be getting an internet connection there for over a week...

Bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus.

Salve Agelaste!
Thank you for the welcome and nice to meet you!
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:48 pm

Salvete Omnes!
I was bored so I was doodeling and came up with these.

SVR Flag:

SVR American Region(USA) Flag:

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:29 pm

I like them. Can you make the right border thicker?
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Anonymous on Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:00 pm

Hows that?
Anonymous

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:06 pm

I was thinking of the border being just as wide as the emblem in the canton of the flag.

Anyways, once you get the flags just the way you want them, why don't you proposed their official adoption in the Comitia?
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Anonymous on Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:19 pm

Okay hows this?

Anonymous

Next

Return to Introductions