Another new kid in town

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Another new kid in town

Postby Decima Decia Melania on Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:29 pm

Salvete omnes!

Highly impressed by the friendly atmosphere I observed here, I finally decided to seek inclusion among the fold... and I'm glad to have done so.

I've long been devoted to the study of Law and have just started back with serious study of Latin. I love to learn, but I also try not to take life too seriously.

I look forward to learning - and laughing - with everyone here!

Valete,
D. Decia Melania
Decima Decia Melania
Socius
Socius

Ave, Melania

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:58 pm

Ave, Decima Decia Melania -

Glad you've decided; you are most welcome here in the Forum.

It's an interesting year for the Roman community, I think. The upcoming Feriae Latinae in Texas will be a signal event. My colleague, Quintus Servilius Priscus, and our Legatus Oclahomensis Teianusque, Aldus Marius Peregrinus, will both be attending.

Hope to hear ideas and questions and opinions and so on from you, and from Lucia Livia Plauta, and from everyone in the days to come.

Vale.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

What she said.

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:38 am

Salve, Decima Decia!

> I look forward to learning - and laughing - with everyone here!

That's the spirit!! I think you'll like it here. Welcome to our little community!

(Mi Iohanne--that's Teiana regio. We want to include the rednecks without alarming them.) >({|;-)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Disculpe me, sed, hmmm....

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:00 am

Salve, Marii Peregrine Legate -

Okay, so I called you an Oklahoman-Texan Legate, but I only did it with an eye to the territory you've been covering! Should I have put Texas first, and in bold? I don't want to alienate the folks coming to Austin. :shock:

And I do hope that those were not fighting words to you, Marii, since either in a duel with Gladii or Pila, or in a plain old cyberspatial flame war, I'm sure you'd mop the paving stones with me! :wink:

In any event, Marii, it'll be "Teiana Regio" henceforth.

And once again, Decia Melania, welcome. :D

Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

(See? --Told ya we don't bite.)

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:35 am

Salvete iterum, amici Romani!

Na, see, it's the 'redneck' part that embarasses me. I'm a displaced Texan. My regio is wherever I think I can drive to in under five days. Could include Kansas. Could include Arkansaw or Missourah. Maybe even New Mexico. (To be fair, I won't claim any turf as mine unless I'm actually doing something there. Portable imperium: ain't it grand??) So, in terms of loyalties and where I'd way rather be on a Roman weekend, we'll just consider Oklahoma to be the Far-North Texas Panhandle. Deal? >({|;-)

(Vides, mi Melania? --This is about as stiff as we get with each other around here. Well, at least until someone loses a pilum. Which I might, but only because I'm a terrible shot...!) *winks again*

Leviter,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Calidius Gracchus on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:49 am

M•CALIDIVS•GRACCHVS• D•DECIÆ•MELANIÆ•S•P•D

SALVE DECIMA,

QVID AGIS? (How are you?)

Although, I am only newly arrived myself and still finding my feet, may I add my best wishes to those already offered and extend a warm welcome to you?

Law, Latin and laughs not a bad combination!

Like you, I love learning, philosophically I'd like to believe I learn something with every new day but, yes, I love academia and I hope that with SVR my knowledge, appreciation and understading of Rome and being Roman can only increase and deepen.

Anyway, I,ve said enough, I think, so welcome again!

VIS ET HONOR

VALE

M•CALIDIVS•GRACCHVS

VERITAS•LVX•MEA

LEGVM SERVI SVMVS VT LIBERI ESSE POSSIMVS ------- CICERO
(We are slaves of laws so that we can be free)
Marcus Calidius Gracchus
Socius
Socius

Aww, shucks!

Postby Decima Decia Melania on Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:13 pm

Salvete iterum,

Thank you all, amici, for the very warm welcome. It's enough to bring a blush to the cheek of this Tennessee girl! (By the way, how would one say "hillbilly" in Latin? There aren't as many rednecks this far up in the mountains - hahae)

Amici risum sunt proximi (with my apologies to Plautus - I hope I got it right!)

Valete!
Dum vivam, laeta ero.
Decima Decia Melania
Socius
Socius

Rubes

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:57 pm

Salve iterum, mi Decima!

Hmm...

I like Latin better than English because it has separate words for what, in English, would only be shades of meaning. Of course, the downside to that is that, when translating English to Latin, one has to decide on which shade of meaning is meant.

That said, though, this one seems within my meager capabilities; I qualify as a "hick" on several levels, surpassed in number and complexity only by those levels on which I could be considered a geek. >({|;-)

Sooo...if you want to say "mountain or hill-dweller", monticola works; I've affectionately dubbed the residents of Triarius' Mons Aventinus project thus. If you mean "hick", then rusticus as an adjective does the job. (Amici, what's the noun form?) Or perhaps you want to keep the billy-goat connotation, in which case something with capra-/capri- in it might serve.

OK, my turn: So what'd be good Latin for "geek"? >({|;-)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Rubes

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:48 pm

Salvete, Amici -

Some inteesting translation questions, Marii -

...if you want to say "mountain or hill-dweller", monticola works...

Ita, ita.

If you mean "hick", then rusticus as an adjective does the job. (Amici, what's the noun form?)

Ah, the noun form would be the adjective used as a noun - "rusticus quidam erat..."

OK, my turn: So what'd be good Latin for "geek"?

Now THAT's a good question. The English meaning ranges from the abysmal sideshow denizen ("monstrum"? "infellicimus"? "prodigium"?) to a person of avid systematical or fantastical attachments ("studiosus"? "temerarius"? "nugator"? "homo enormis"?).

How about "studiosus insolitus"?

Valete bene.
Last edited by Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Geeks, too

Postby Decima Decia Melania on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:14 pm

Salvete iterum,

This is a fun tangent!

My suggestion: "unicus animatus"

Valete!
Dum vivam, laeta ero.
Decima Decia Melania
Socius
Socius

"UNICUS ANIMATUS"

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:02 pm

Salve, Melania -

Mihi placet - a "singular animated or enlivened soul", as I read it.

Vale.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Return to Introductions