Salvete Omnes from Alabama

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Salvete Omnes from Alabama

Postby M.Apollonius Silvanus on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:35 pm

Hey everyone. Not much to tell Im new ,well kind of, to Religio Romana, Ive studied it somewhat in the past. Ive been pagan for about 6 yrs give or take.

I have so much to learn. Latin seems to be the hardest lol.

Well glad to be here. Hope to learn more.

Vale!
M.Apollonius Silvanus
Last edited by M.Apollonius Silvanus on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M.Apollonius Silvanus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby M.Apollonius Silvanus on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:48 am

Where is everyone?
M.Apollonius Silvanus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Marcus Calidius Gracchus on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:52 am

M•CALIDIVS•GRACCHVS•T•OCTAVIO•SILVANO•S•P•D

SALVE AMICE!

I welcome you here in the friendship, I am always pleased to meet another Roman.

Please do not concern yourself, honourable SILVANVS, too much as we are all learning here! I am a relative newcomer myself and I can genuinely say that I have found everyone to be very helpful, approachable and easy going - so you'll be fine!

As a fellow student of Latin I would humbly offer this advice, use what you know when you can, ask what don't know - some of our more erudite citizens will have an answer, I have no doubt . Use of Latin forms of address and signing off in posts are, of course, a personal choice and not essential but I personally think they are preferable. You already have "VALE" (Bye) and you may already be familiar with "SALVE" (Hello) -the plurals being "VALETE" and "SALVETE" respectively - used when addressing more than one person. Anyway, I'll leave the lesson there!

You mention the RELIGIO ROMANA, you might try the thread "FASTI" under the "General" topic heading which a most illustrious Roman, honourable MARIVS, has recently instituted. This will give you the days in the Roman calendar when the religious days fall. In addition, you may know this website already but it is worth a visit www.religioromana.net.

VALE

GRACCHVS

VERITAS•LVX•MEA
Marcus Calidius Gracchus
Socius
Socius

"We are here, we are here!" -- the Whos

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:17 am

Salve, Tite Octavi, et Salvete omnes!

It's not slow here; it's patient. >({|:-)

Na, actually this Forum is pretty lively...but on a longer wavelength than some venues that see a few hundred posts a day. We've never done that and we don't try. A lot of us here are college students, so the Forum slows almost to a standstill during the period leading up to and including final exams. And then the students travel for the summer; this is easier to do in Europe, where we have more members than anywhere else, including the founders of the Societas. Many of the rest are retired old farts (like me) who have time a-plenty but can only sit at a computer for so long. Throw in the odd reenactor who does gigs on the weekends, the folks who only have computer access through their jobs, and the professors developing lesson-plans for all those students, and...well, I'm surprised we hear from anybody between May and September.

Yet we do. And while we're a friendly, chatty bunch, and write our share of light-and-silly things, a very large proportion of the material coming out of this Forum is of such high quality and readability that it ends up being enshrined on our Web site. What's already there should give you an indication. Ti. Dionysius Draco and I do the uploads, and the excellence of so much of this work just amazes me. There's more on the way. And it all comes from amateurs, such as ourselves, who are or are becoming Romans-in-Spirit, and who do all that homework because it helps us connect with the Heritage--in short, because it pleases us to do so.

But on a normal day, we just stick our heads in to say Hei; see who and what else is up; start some topics and continue others, PM the Webmaster <g>, PM our pals. Lately several of our members have been resurrecting oldie-but-goodie threads, hauling them back up to the top of the pile so's the newbies can have a crack at them. It's never too late to reply to a good topic, and any time's right for starting one of your own. The conversation here will never be "finished"...thank the Gods!

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby M.Apollonius Silvanus on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:13 pm

Salvete Gracchvs et Marivs!

Thanks for the welcome and sorry for the id change. I changed it to match my NR name.

Thanks for the info and replies.

Valete!

M.Apollonivs Silvanvs

One question when calling people by their names do we use the last name? Like I would be called Silvanus or middle so I would be called Apollonius?
M.Apollonius Silvanus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

What they said

Postby Decima Decia Melania on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:57 pm

Salve, M. Apolloni!

Greetings from Tennessee! I am a fellow newbie and I have to tell you that this is a fine group here. They're always quick to help with any questions and even quicker to join in on a lively discussion... after which hilarity often ensues. :D

I hope that you'll have as enjoyable a time as I've had here so far. Welcome!

Bene vale,
D. Decia
Dum vivam, laeta ero.
Decima Decia Melania
Socius
Socius

Re: What they said

Postby M.Apollonius Silvanus on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:02 pm

Decima Decia Melania wrote:Salve, M. Apolloni!

Greetings from Tennessee! I am a fellow newbie and I have to tell you that this is a fine group here. They're always quick to help with any questions and even quicker to join in on a lively discussion... after which hilarity often ensues. :D

I hope that you'll have as enjoyable a time as I've had here so far. Welcome!

Bene vale,
D. Decia

Salve D.Decia,

Sorry if thats a wrong salut...Still learning ;)
Thanks for the kind welcome..Tennessee,cool I am originally from Memphia..Look foward to the discussions with you and the others.

Vale!
Silvanvs
Marcvs Apollonivs Silvanvs
Ordo Plebeivs-SVR
M.Apollonius Silvanus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Labor cost: zilch

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Salve iterum, mi Apolloni!

> ...sorry for the id change. I changed it to match my NR name.

Nulli problema, as they might say in Provincia Iamaicensis! And anyway...you did all the work. >({|;-)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Enough Latin to get by!

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:45 pm

Salvete, omnes newbies!

We actually have a topic in the Collegium Linguarum that's about beginners' Board-Latin; it'll get you started. It's called Latin Tips and Tricks, and it's not hard to find; it's a "sticky" topic, meaning it'll always be on top regardless of when the last post was made.

It's two pages long, but that's including our trademark humor and some rather brisk debate. Feature Fight: Marius gets jumped by the Latin Inquisition!! <feg>
>({|;-]

Go; see; conquer...but mostly, enjoy!

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:22 am

Salve, Marce Apollonii Silvane!

M.Apollonius Silvanus wrote:Where is everyone?

As you see, we have all chimed in at odd moments - we're still around, if not always present.

Please - re not knowing a lot - human ignorance is close to absolute, so why get upset? We're all learning, as best we can. I'm probably worse than you in Roman studies, it's just what I read on my own, but I'm here - and like it here.

Hope you will, too. Vale bene.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Return to Introductions