Greetings!

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Greetings!

Postby Tullius Ursus on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:26 am

Salvete,
I just wanted to say hello to my fellow members. I am Decimus Tullius Ursus. I joined primarily to connect with fellow practitioners of the Religio Romana. I just turned 50 (last week!). After an epiphany about 3 years ago I began a spiritual quest through a variety of pagan/neopagan paths. I actually started with the Religio (Sicilian on my father's side from near Agragento) and after much wandering I've "come home" so to speak. I have taken up Latin again after some introductory classes a few decades ago. I am a corporate executive and would be most interested in any books you might recommend about the Roman economy, trade or business. This seems like a fun group and I hope to contribute in my small way.

Valete,

Tullius Ursus
"Better a good plan today than a perfect plan a week from today." - General George Patton
Tullius Ursus
Socius
Socius

Postby Gaius Iulius Tabernarius on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:30 am

Salve Tullius Ursus,

Good to meet you, I am Gaius Iulius Tabernarius. I am relatively new myself and let me just say this is a great site.
"O Tempora! O Mores!!" Cicero
Gaius Iulius Tabernarius
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Postby L. Livia Plauta on Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:29 pm

Salve Ursus,
my mother found a book about roman economy which just came out in Italy. As soon as I reach her in Torino (in a few days) I'll let you know more about it, in case you can read Italian.
Vale,
Livia
L. Livia Plauta
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Novus Socius

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:48 am

Salve, Decimus Tullius Ursus -

Glad to have you on board. Hope you will enjoy posting and reading, or drilling down into our various discussions and adding to them, perhaps! Welcome.

Vale.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby L. Livia Plauta on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:28 pm

Here's the book I'm reading: Quando l'Italia era una superpotenza.
Il ferro di Roma e l'oro dei mercanti"
by Giorgio Ruffolo, Einaudi, Torino.
86 pages, 10,00 euros.
(When Italy was a superpower - Rome's iron and the merchants' gold)

It's a very interesting, up-to date, econnomic history of Rome, written by one of the leading italian economsts.
L. Livia Plauta
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:42 pm

Salve Ursus!

Maybe after you read up on this subject of Roman economics a bit you could write an essay on the subject for us? I remember years ago reading a short biography of Constantine which had a chapter dealing with the declining economy of the late empire, prior to Constantine's becoming emperor. it discussed how the Spetimus Severus tried to head off collapse by rigid price controls and laws requiring everyone to stay in the trade of his father, as well as the debasement of currency.

I forget almost all of this. Maybe later on you can share your knowledge with us!

Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Introductions