Please allow me to reintroduce myself

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Please allow me to reintroduce myself

Postby Marcus Tullius Ioannes on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:20 pm

I have now joined (and been accepted by) SVR and, assuming I have done what is required to properly change my profile, will in the future be appearing here under the name Marcus Tullius Ioannes, the name by which I have registered with SVR.

Nevertheless, as I suppose can be inferred from my new name (if I did that correctly), ciceronianus sum.

For all his many faults, he was a remarkable man, and managed to combine an active and significant role in practical life with thoughtful study and commentary on the great philosophical questions, and I admire him for it. He was also, for good or ill, very much a lawyer, and so am I. I know lawyers are not the most popular professionals, due I think to the conduct of certain persons who are not worthy of the title, but there you have it (I have even heard that people make jokes about lawyers).

I look forward to contributing as best I can to the Forum and the Societas.

Vale
Philosophia est ars vitae
Marcus Tullius Ioannes
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:18 pm

Salve Ioannes!

Welcome to the Societas. I've only read one book by Cicero, and that was On the Nature of the Gods. I enjoyed that book and it's expositions of the views of Stoics and Epicureans.

As to lawyers...well, where I work we sometimes have some of the more arrogant ones who, when they can't get something they want, say "I'm a lawyer, and I want you to show me where the law says...". I have developed an answer to that. I tell them I will look it up for them if they pay me a hundred bucks, as I do not do legal research for free, and I suspect his firm does not do it for free either. Well, at least that horrible Roy Pearson is no longer a judge...

Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:31 pm

Tandem, Ciceroniane, sub tripartitum nomen Romanum ades! Salve denuo, atque ave! At last, Ciceronianus, you're here w/ a proper Roman name! Welcome, all over again!

And I quite like your cognomen, even if we vary between us on the spelling.

Cicero is, like Caesar, one interesting figure. A loose cannon, in a lot of ways, I think. Have you read thru the SVR "trial" of Catiline and Cicero in the Collegia on the website?

De modis omnibus, we've been glad to have you here, and we're pleased still to have you, and

Vale bene, alter Ioanne!
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Marcus Tullius Ioannes on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:02 am

Thank you for the replies.

To Marcus Lupinius Paulus: I am familiar enough with the kind of lawyer you refer to. You are right not to be intimidated. A certain amount of self-confidence is required in a lawyer, particularly a litigator, but arrogance is unseemly.

To Valerius Claudius Iohanes, with whom I share a cognomen (sort of, anyhow):

I have indeed been reading the trial of Cicero, and enjoying it. I wish I had been around to participate--as defense counsel, of course. It is difficult to accept the execution of any Roman without trial. But Cicero, no fool he, was clever enough to obtain the consent of the Senate, if I recall, and that makes his condemnation problematic, in my view.

I have seen Ioannes, Iohanes and Iohannes, and have no idea if there is any difference among them. I suspect the difference may be regional or historical, but that covers a lot of ground. If you happen to know, please let me know.

Vale.
Marcus Tullius Ioannes
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:02 am

Salve, Tullii Ioanne -

Wikipedia tells me that :

the original Hebrew is Yochanan;
the Greek is Ioannes;
the Latin of the Greek becomes Iohannes;
and so on, to Ian, Ivan, Ion, Juan, Jean, John, Sean, Sion, etc.

Surprisingly, I'd never looked that up before. In any event, may I treat you as a cousin here at the SVR? :)

Vale.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Marcus Tullius Ioannes on Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:58 am

Of course you can treat me as a cousin! Just don't call me graeculus.

Vale
Marcus Tullius Ioannes
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

I won't, I promise.

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:06 am

Salve, mi Tulli!

No fear; I, being a Marius, have no Greeks, even small ones, and I won't go about creating them where there weren't any to begin with.

OTOH, I do have the keys to the Album Sodalium...and very little since the Feriae Latinae has given me as much pleasure as being able to finally enroll you in the Societas.

Welcome again to our humble Gathering! >({|:-D

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:13 am

Salve, Marce Tullii Ioanne -

Bene est.

Vale.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Return to Introductions