Another New Person

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Another New Person

Postby M Sempronia Pulla on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:29 am

Salvete Omnes!

I'm Marcia Sempronia Pulla and am new to SVR. Currently not a member of Nova Roma, though have filled out an application for it. Haven't heard anything back yet. I have to admit SVR seems more my style: simple, friendly and informative. At any rate, I live in the Washington D.C. area and have been here for most of my life. I'm ethnically a mix of different things, but from my mother's side I am of Roman descent according to my grandfather (vs. just being called Italian). My uncle told me that my recent ancestors had been shepherds from "southeast of Rome" just as I saw someone else mention in another introduction thread (the southeast part, that is). However, I think the area they were from was somewhere like Potenza, but it's hard to say for certain. To add to the confusion, my grandfather supposedly spent time in Syria for some reason when he was young (later associated with Syrians in his community in Massachusetts). One thing I can say is that I definitely inherited the Roman bumps in the nose, and some big dark eyes like on those painted Egyptian coffins. >({|;-)

Currently, I'm a single mother to an adorable son (though who doesn't say that about their own?). Because of my ancestry, he was named Suhayb, after a famous Arab that had earned the nickname al Rumi (the Roman) on account of his blond hair and Greek accent (he had grown up around modern-day Basra but had been taken into slavery by the then Romans i.e. "Byzantines"). After my son was born I had a dream where everything was in white and some girls dressed me in a bridal costume and handed me a red thread. While holding the red thread, I got onto a white horse and rode, jumping over a small fence, to follow where the thread was. In the dream I was ecstatic. The thread lead to a blond man with a Roman nose, "Roman" haircut and pale skin sitting on either a gold or ivory throne with a gold crown on his head. He was holding the thread in his hand and had the attitude of something like, "Oh, yawn, another one." But in my dream that didn't bother me and we were somehow "married." Never been able to interpret that without being confident of not having my own biases. It's stayed with me, however.

I've been into the Classics ever since I was a young child, Greek mythology especially. I was honestly like a young innocent Ovid in that I was drawn to anything and everything that involved metamorphoses. With mythology having a lot of that, and readily available when young, I adored it (didn't learn about Ovid's collection until much later). Took Latin all through high school and was a kind of nerd about that. Was in Certamen but for culture, history and mythology, not so much Latin. I struggle a lot with learning languages (just like the people in the Rosetta Stone commercials). During my last year of Latin I had a very cool and fun teacher who was teaching us the Aeneid. It was then that Gladiator came out and he took the Latin Club on a field trip to see it at an IMAX theater. :) Around age 17-18 I got into Religio Romana / Hellenic Neo-paganism (as I called it back then) on a very informal level. Didn't associate with any groups or anything of the sort, juts hung around a few other pagans during my freshman year of college and kept practice to myself based on several books that I still see on recommended reading lists for Religio Romana (Dictionary of Roman Religion, Classical Living et al.). By the time I was in my 20s, however, I abandoned paganism and took a different course. I'm only just recently getting back into Religio Romana. Now (since 2000) there seems to be a lot more information online and a lot more books. Just finished reading Religion of the Romans by Rupke and have a lot more books to go through (currently reading Greek Religion). Got a lararium set up already, but am taking things slow to not get overwhelmed and confused.

My main areas of interest are culture, art history, Religio Romana and historical personalities.

I look forward to participating on this board! :)

Di vos incolumes custodiant!
M•SEMPRONIA•PVLLA
M Sempronia Pulla
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Re: Another New Person

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Salve Sempronia Pulla,

I like this forum a lot and it was actually the first forum dealing with Ancient Rome I got to know. You are right, this is a very friendly place and the big advantage is, that it is just a loose forum of people sharing the same interest and not an organization like Nova Roma. Anyhow I don't want to talk you out of becoming a member of Nova Roma.

Many regards from Hamburg, Germany,
Have a nice weekend,
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby M Sempronia Pulla on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:26 pm

Salve Cleopatra Aelia!

No worries about talking me out of Nova Roma. If I don't pursue it, it's because of my own resignations. A lot of it I just don't understand, mostly the politics. My primary wish is just to be privy to information regarding Religio Romana, to meet people with similar interests and to learn about Roman culture and history and what not. The whole membership process is a little intimidating, to be honest. And if there is a fee to keep up citizenship versus being of the capite censi, then I probably don't want to be a part of it unless it effects nothing and is just a label. I tried to look that tax information up, but couldn't find it. Also, I noticed on the main list there is a quite a bit of drama recently...name calling, unnecessary sarcasm, ethnic insults etc. It makes jumping in a little intimidating.
M•SEMPRONIA•PVLLA
M Sempronia Pulla
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:39 pm

Salve, Marca Sempronia Pulla -

For the three Curators, salutem dico. Very nice to have you here in the SVR and the new Forum.

Yours is a very enjoyable introduction to read! Your Latin must be pretty good after all those high school semesters. And once again, I'm jealous of the East Coast for having all the Romani living over there! Well... not ALL of them, perhaps, but more than their share, I think! :lol:

Again, welcome, welcome; and bene vale.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby M Sempronia Pulla on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:14 am

Salve Valerius Claudius Iohanes and thank you for the warm welcome!

I honestly don't know how well my Latin is. I can read it okay, but ask me to say or write something, or to give a grammatically correct translation is probably a different story. Last week when I was at the National Gallery of Art here in DC, the saleslady said goodbye to me in Latin using a whole sentence. The only thing I could understand, unfortunately, was vale, though to my own credit she was speaking quickly and it's been a long time since I've heard Latin. I'm probably at a beginning high school level, though that is true of French which I've studied for many more years with my latest class being far more recently than my latest Latin one. Language is just difficult for me to grasp. I think I'm one of those people who has to be dropped off in a foreign country and left for herself in order to sufficiently pick a language up. Too bad you can't do that with Latin--yet! ;) To get an idea of my proficiency, I'm mostly a fan of Ecce Romani, though on the internet it doesn't have that great of reviews, and I haven't seen it mentioned really for adult use. But that's what I'm currently using to refresh myself before I jump into a college class whenever I go back to school to finish up (which should be soon). For me, translating the first couple books are very easy. I do have a copy of Wheelock's Latin, but just the core book and it's an older edition (orange cover). While I can understand it, it makes Latin a little bit harder for me. A book that's similar to Ecce Romani that is good but far less informative for beginners is Lingva Latina by Oreburg. Unlike Ecce Romani, it's more oriented in a way that illustrates Latin as you would see it in ancient texts.

If anyone is reading this that is studying Latin on their own, two books I have but haven't read are A Student's Latin Grammar (Cambridge) and English Grammar for Students of Latin. Those might be worth checking out as I got them from an old Latin class.

Well hey, you West Coasters have a lot of cool things going on even if there are few Romani. With how popular SCA is over on your side (i.e. people with an interest in living history), there probably are Romani about, just hard to come by on the internet, perhaps.

Hope everyone had a pleasant weekend!
M•SEMPRONIA•PVLLA
M Sempronia Pulla
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Marius Sends Greetings!

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:48 am

Salve et Bon Adventum, Marcia Sempronia!

I have not meant to be so long in welcoming you to our little Societas. We've just migrated over to this new Forum, and there were some loose ends to attend to... I've been here, but mostly behind the scenes. (If what I do is ever glaringly obvious, that means either I'm showboating or the site is down...) >({|8-|

That said, I am glad to see such an active, informative and engaging new member among us! I've seen you in almost all the Collegia, and your contributions are already making me think and want to reply. Many of us are or were also members of Nova Roma, and have shared our experiences of the place throughout the Forum. I particularly recommend a thread right here in
Introductions called Ex-pats from Nova Roma for some recent perspectives.

I enjoy the Societas because it's friendly, culturally-oriented, and meant as a place for what I call "Romans-in-Spirit" to find their own Roman Way, wherever it may lead them. We have *no* Snooty Experts here (plenty of Friendly ones, though); we are amateurs in the best sense, "in it for love", and we don't mind doing a little homework. We're casual in a nice way; and we try to be educational, informative, or at least entertaining. Nothing wrong with having a little fun with the idea of Rome while we're here! >({|;-)

Again, Welcome; I hope you'll enjoy your stay!

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:36 am

Salve, Sempronia. Some of us are in the religious side both here and there, so if you need any questions on it, please feel free to ask. I'd be glad to help.
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby M Sempronia Pulla on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:49 pm

Salvete Marius et Valerius!

Thank you for welcoming me to the board. I am glad I can contribute to it--that there is a place for the discussion of something I love. What's more, I'm very grateful at how friendly it is and completely not intimidating! I'm very put off by internet know-it-alls and/or anyone who makes themselves important on the internet by belittling, mocking or insulting others. Many such people would never venture to do it face-to-face, and such people are (often) the most insecure. Declaring others more or less Roman ventures into that realm, in my opinion. How do you define Roman? Is it blood? is it interest in Roman spheres or is it being a member of Nova Roma? For those who are fundamentalist purists, what would the Romans think of people like us today? Those are just questions that go through my mind when people try to claim supremacy over another when there isn't an established and accepted system to do so (i.e. something that says this is what a Roman is and this is what a Roman isn't). Without such a thing, it's easy for a group to establish itself and proclaim it to be the only true thing and all that.

So, suffice to say, the Expats from Nova Roma thread was a very interesting read. Informative, too. ;) Before venturing upon Nova Roma, this had been my line of thinking:

I agree with you. Some in Nova Roma do not. They see the religio Romana as a State religion alone, and thus claim that there needs to be a state in order to have a religio Romana. That is their rationale for creating this "State-like" organization. They have it backwards. What became a state religion for Roma antiqua grew out of the customs and practices that are the religio Romana. You don't really need pontifices, and certainly not consules, in order to offer worship to the Gods.

Religio Romana was never a state-based ideology, meaning it was not created by the state to be trickled downward to families. Like most non-secular religions, it was (and is) a way of life, an ideological system, and as such involved matters of state. However, I can see how confusing it can get once you get to the late Republic and state and religion are very interconnected where people are appointed, omens are to be observed and all that. Religion of the Romans by Jorge Rupke really goes into the whole "state religion" deal (term being used loosely). It is erroneous to assume that the lack of a state negates the ability to continue practicing Religio Romana because worship is private, a matter between you and God/the Gods. In fact, I can't think of a religion that is completely dependent on a political system--that if one did not exist, the religion could not be observed at all. It's very odd especially when considering how people often emphasis how Religio Romana centers a lot around the family with the state being a greater extension of that.

As for questions on religion, I will probably be bringing some up. In fact, I thought of something to post just now!
M•SEMPRONIA•PVLLA
M Sempronia Pulla
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Snubbed on Nova Roma?

Postby M Sempronia Pulla on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:28 pm

Hmm...I still haven't heard back from the Censors of Nova Roma concerning anything after having applied for citizenship. There has not even been a confirmation email or anything that let's me know that they have gotten my application and I believe it's been two weeks. Additionally, on the New Roman group, I asked a question concerning the Roman dinner this weekend and no one responded while responses have come in for others. I'm not going to press it again now that the weather and babysitting situation looks like I probably won't be able to make it. But I wonder, is it because I mentioned SVR? Do they not talk to non-citizens? Very frustrating. I can understand that no one may have anything to add to the dinner discussion, but that seems unlikely given how quick they were to discuss the subject with someone who said they were a citizen. Also, wouldn't they want to welcome soon-to-be members as well and at least acknowledge their presence? :?
M•SEMPRONIA•PVLLA
M Sempronia Pulla
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:37 pm

Salve iterum, Marca Sempronia -

I wouldn't get too worried about NR. I would simply follow up with an email to the official in charge of new citizen applications, and see what's going on. Organizations have glitchy-issues, and there are cracks in every floor.

Salve.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby M Sempronia Pulla on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:40 pm

Salve Valerius Claudius,

Thank you for the encouragement and advice. >({|:-)
I guess I am just anxious.

Bene Vale
M•SEMPRONIA•PVLLA
M Sempronia Pulla
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby M Sempronia Pulla on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:14 am

Hehe it seemed to have worked. After an hour or two of my sending a message to the Censors I received notification of my probation. 8)
M•SEMPRONIA•PVLLA
M Sempronia Pulla
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:30 am

Salve, Marca Sempronia -

Belated congratulations on your provisional NR acceptance.
:party: :wine: :party:

Vale.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Formosus Viriustus on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:58 pm

Salve Sempronia Pulla,

I have just been adopted into the gens Sempronii under the name of Spurius Sempronius Formosus, but am more commonly known as Formosus Viriustus. (Blame my parents for that.)
I have posted an introductory note on myself in the (I hope) appropriate section.
As a novice to interretialis Romanitas, I can empathise a bit with your experience with Nova Roma. I was lucky enough to stumble onto the SVR site first and I liked it immediately. But I also had a brief look around on the NR site. First impressions may be deceiving, but my idea was : are those people for real ? I think you'd need to be a lawyer with a lot of time on his hands to find out what they are exactly about. Declaring yourself an independent and sovereign nation is ok with me, if it is a bit tongue in cheek, but I'm not really certain if that is the case. And Romans, of all people, laying claim to some territory, be it very small, and at the same time renouncing all forms of force, coercion, and so on to achieve their aim ? How credible is that ?

Salve,

Formosus
Formosus Viriustus

Postby M Sempronia Pulla on Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:02 pm

Salve Formosus Viriustus!

First and foremost, welcome to the forums (and to the gens!)! >({|:-)
Nice to see a new face.

There's A LOT I don't understand about Nova Roma, and a lot that doesn't concern me. I was only really interested in religio romana, and I kind of stirred the pot with that subject as I guess I am not a purist...I don't know. Which has really let me down as now I am in a spiritual bind i.e. what do I believe and stuff like that. I was just reading on ancient Egyptian cosmology/beliefs and minus the pantheon (except for Set) that seems to fit more of what I believe. But otherwise I have no attachment to ancient Egypt so I'm like hmmm...My main issue is with the drama. That is what I really remarked on (using one's being a Roman as an excuse to justify being a jerk) and heh I did not stick around to see the response, only spoke briefly to the praetor (or one of them if there is more than one), who is real nice and is someone I've met in person for an event. My boyfriend has the same opinions as you, and I do as well to an extent.
M•SEMPRONIA•PVLLA
M Sempronia Pulla
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Formosus Viriustus on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:19 pm

Salve Sempronia Pulla,

Glad to meet a fellow Sempronia and a fellow traveller. I'm under the impression that there are not too many purists nor megalomaniacs around on the SVR site, so I think we're ok there.
Keep in touch.

Vale,

Formosus
Formosus Viriustus

Return to Introductions