Salvete

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Salvete

Postby UrsusofUNRV on Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:49 pm

I was briefly a member here years ago, but I am afraid real life commitments precluded my active participation. Nonetheless I never had anything but fond memories of this place.

I am afraid my current obligations online and offline also prevent me from being a full fledged member, but I would like to me an occasional member of your forum.

My real name is Jeremy, my Roman moniker is usually Ursus. I am a lover of all things classical. I am a moderator of www.unrv.com. I also am a classical polytheist.
UrsusofUNRV
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Re: Salvete

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:59 pm

Ave, Urse -

You are most welcome. Are you a forum member only, or also a Sodalis in the Society? Either way, glad to hear from you. I hope you can drop in and post from time to time.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby UrsusofUNRV on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:43 pm

I am a forum member.

What is involved in being a Sodalis? I saw the application .. why do you ask for an address?
UrsusofUNRV
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby UrsusofUNRV on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:48 am

Another question: years ago didn't SVR have a college for Hellenic culture?
UrsusofUNRV
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:51 am

Salve denuo, Urse -

2nd question first: Yes, I believe we did have one in the Fora - but on the Society's website, as opposed to the Forum, (http://www.societasviaromana.net) we still have it. I think it was perhaps dropped from the Fora when we made the move to the new bulletin board. If Marius or Tiberius are listening, they can probably confirm or deny that.

1st question second: As a Sodalis, you are asked to take a full Roman name and interact under that name, in addition to the normal forum access you enjoy as a forum user, you can also enter the Comitia, vote for officers, offer yourself as an officer, etc. Now, as to the address, aside from possibly being useful in blocking or identifying spambots and so on, there's no particular practical need for it. We do like to know what regions people are from - the USA, Europe, etc. - and we used to wish people well on their birthdays, and so on. I can't see any specific need for your address. (I think I'll have to review that form again, and get current. But in any event, we're not trying to be 'Frater Magnus'. :wink: )

Whether Sodalis or simple Forum registree, you're welcome. Bene vale.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby UrsusofUNRV on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:32 pm

Salve!

Thanks for the explanations.

As far as the address, as long as it is not misused or shared, I will fill out an application to become a Sodalis.
UrsusofUNRV
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Formosus Viriustus on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:36 pm

Ave Urse !

Thanks for the interesting links. Those sites certainly look worthwhile and I'll give them a closer look later on for sure.
Although I have been, among many other things, a Roman in spirit for a long time, I'd like to think, I have only very recently become involved in anything remotely like organised Romanitas or some such, by rather accidentally stumbling upon the SVR site which immediately appealled to me. And although I am usually very reluctant to join organisations of any kind, I made an exception here and I have certainly not regretted it.
As I see it, SVR does not make any requirements of me whatsoever : nothing practical is demanded of me, I don't have to adhere or subscribe to any ideology, religion or philosophy and I get access to a free forum where I can exchange views and news and just have a good time with similar minded people.
The only thing that is required, maybe, is that you maintain a minimum of decorum when in the forum. And even there, they are more than liberal, I should say : being a bit of a half-barbarian myself, I have probably sinned more than most in that respect and yet nobody has treatened to crucify me along the Via Appia so far.
What hasn't happened yet, may still happen of course, but so far, I can only speak in the most positive terms about SVR. 8)
So welcome to the forum, I would say, in whichever capacity you should choose.
Formosus Viriustus

Return to Introductions