Introducing Spurius Sempronius Formosus

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Introducing Spurius Sempronius Formosus

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:05 am

V. Claudius Iohannes Sp. Sempronio Formoso s.p.d.

Welcome, Sempronii Formose. Glad to find you now enrolled as a Sodalis; I enjoyed reading your first posts yesterday. You may have discerned it already from prowling about our archives but the SVR was largely a Belgian Roman colony when it was first begun. So I won't be surprised to see some posting going on once more in Dutch. :lol:

Please, enjoy the Fora and the Collegia of the website itself.

Optime vale.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Re: Introducing Spurius Sempronius Formosus

Postby M Sempronia Pulla on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:37 pm

Sempronia Pulla Sempronio Formoso sal.

Once again welcome to the forums! You have a really interesting background. :) I am like you with Latin. I remember a bunch of words, but forget about the grammar!

Bene Vale!
M•SEMPRONIA•PVLLA
M Sempronia Pulla
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am

(Eheu, Sempronii Formose! Orationes tuas nativa in lingua non bene intellego! I'll PM you separately to ask an English rendering! :) )
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Ahh, Xanthippe...!

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:18 am

Salve, mi Formose!

I like these. I really like these! Perhaps you could run them as a satirical feature in the Collegium Artium? That's where we put our Romanly-inspired creative works.

Fortuna fortes favet,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:03 am

Heh heh...everything about one's identity falls away in boot camp; that's a drill sergeant's *job*! No fear, she's met her match; I'll make either broken toys or a Roman Citizen out of her. <mfeg!> = 'Most Fiendish Evil Grin'

Would you like to introduce her in the RP? >({|;-)

-- the Mighty Mar'
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Formosi

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:33 am

Salve iterum!

"RP" is the Roleplaying Thread in the Collegium Artium. It's a 'sticky' topic, which means it's always on top of the list of topics, so it's easy to find. We play ourselves as ancient Romans (see CollArt-->Your Roman Life!), no particular era (although, so far, we seem to be in the High Imperial age). Our personae meet, interact, and get into all kinds of situations. The current game just started, so it's a great time to jump in and help us write the story.

OTOH, you could just keep doin' what you're doin' and give it its own thread, as a satirical or humorous feature column. Or tack it onto CollArt-->Roman Humor, where I've had a notion of developing the "Bay Area Romans" concept. Or...whatever else works for you! Wherever you choose to put it, I can move the "in-character" posts you've already made here to the new topic. >({|:-)

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:52 pm

:D 'Formose and Xanthippe' - our favorite Roman sit-com!
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Roman Sitcom!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:55 am

LOL--it is indeed, mi Iohanne! Now all Formosus has to do is start a new topic for it in CollArt, give it any title he likes and that suits it, and authorise me to transfer all the 'episodes' so far into the new topic. Quid censes, mi Semproni? >({(:-)

-- Marius. Just bein' a Roman again!
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Formosi Furiosi!

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:34 am

Pactum factum, amici Romani; the adventures of Sempronius Formosus and his altera significans now have their own thread: Formosi Furiosi! (a Roman sitcom), now playing at the Collegium Artium! >({|:-)

Quidcumque vobis placet,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:21 am

*enjoys a hearty chuckle*

Believe it or not, amice Formose has more up his sleeve for our delectation. One of the "PM overflow" items in my box has been the drafts for a series entitled "When In Rome", this being a tongue-in-cheek travelogue of our Sempronius' modern-day adventures and encounters in the City. Ita, Formose, I've now read them! If you'd like to drop these off somewhere the rest of us can get to them, the General section might be a good fit.

I'm happy that you are enjoying your stay with us. We may not be as scholarly as some places or as stuffy as others, but we do try to fill the need for just-plain-Romans who need a friendly mileu in which to discover for themselves (and share with others) just what "being a Roman" means to them in their lives and imaginations.

Ahh, the Internet... Thanks to Uncle Sam's Air Force, I've been on since 1983, back when everything was text-based and the speed of thought was about 300 baud. (The 'Net's gotten faster, but unfortunately Marius hasn't!) I thought the world went to hell the day those wise men in Sweden invented the .com domain. I knew Compuserve and AOL in their original incarnations as big BBS's. I was addicted to newsgroups. I even had plans to start a homebrew Roman BBS ("bulletin board system") of my own--and Mater, just look at me now!! >({|8-)

My particular net-dot-peeve is all those Web-form buttons that say "SUBMIT" ...Itane?? Civis Romanus sum; I won't do it; Romans never, ever, *ever* will be slaves!! (But of course I have to...even on this Board, alas. What the world has come to...)

History nerd: I used to keep my barracks-mates up all night with tales of the Legions...all in first-person plural. I took Cannae and Teutoberger Wald very personally. I'd take the Ides of March off from work for "family religious observances". And I used to tell friends who asked about my reenactor activities, "Na, I'm Roman all the time; it's just that, at my gigs, I actually get to dress up as myself!"

I do hope we'll hear more from Formosus and his altera significa, and about his perambulations in the Mother City, and of course about anything else he'd like to share. The same goes for all of you!! And I promise we'll do our best to retaliate...err, reciprocate (yeah yeah, that's the word--'reciprocate')! <bg>

In amicitia et fide (and lighter spirit),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Introductions