Salvete!

Salvete, new amici; tell us a bit about yourselves! But this is no ordinary Intro forum; you will learn quite a bit about the rest of us too. >({|:-)

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Salvete!

Postby Anonymous on Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:02 am

Salvete amici!

I, Titus Marius Crispus, am the newest member of the Societas. I am happy to be a member of such a fine organization! :D

I am a Junior in High School in San Antonio, Texas, USA. I have just finished my first year of Latin. I do, however, play Certamen in the NJCL (National Junior Classical League), so my experience with Latin exceeds my official in-class education. For those of you who don't know, Certamen is a very competitive game played in teams of four people (2 grammar, 1 mythology, 1 history/culture) in the NJCL. My teammates and I will be representing the state of Texas in Novice Certamen at the national convention in Virginia at the end of this month. The Texas Novices from last year won 1st place, and we hope to do the same.

Excluding the Latin language, my experience in Classics is lacking. I have picked up a small knowledge of Roman History/Culture and Greek Mythology from Certamen practice, but I would greatly enjoy learning more about everything, especially the Greek language and the 'Religio Romana'.

I am also willing to help with web development if needed/desired. I have a good deal of experience with XHTML, CSS, PHP, and MySQL.

Is there an official procedure one must follow to join a collegium? I haven't been able to find anything in the regula about that.

Gratias vobis ago,
Titus Marius Crispus
Anonymous

Salve

Postby Anonymous on Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:47 am

Salve amice noue,

Welcome to the SAR

What a beautiful curriculum vitae ! :)

I'm a new member too (one month circa) and i'm french.

See u

Vale bene

Aulus
Anonymous

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:34 am

Salve amice

Welcome to the SVR.
Is there an official procedure one must follow to join a collegium? I haven't been able to find anything in the regula about that.

I think there was one when SVR was first created. We used to have mailinglists over at topica, but not anymore. Things have changed since than. For instance, when you become member of SVR, you also become member of all collegia. Membership in SVR includes membership in any collegia, but it requires the member to be active.
vale

Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:58 pm

I too enjoyed the certamina. My team lost horribly to the local powerhouse, but I had my revenge later. The opposite team members also formed the team for "It's Academic", a kind of college bowl for high school students in the Washinton, DC area. We beat them and advanced to the finals. And the (my) winning answer was "Trajan"!

The nice thing was that It's Academic was televised and the NJCL loss was not. So my revenge was public and their humiliation complete!

Keep up with the certamina, you'll never know where Latin trivia will turn out to be useful.

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Re: Salvete!

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:26 pm

Salve Crispe,

Welcome to our Societas! I hope you will like it here. I studied ancient Greek and Latin in secondary school, but now I'm in the process of becoming a major in English (with a minor in German). Like many members here, I am from Belgium, a little upstart country by the North Sea. My field of interest is primarily philosophy, with a bit of art and history thrown in for good measure. I'm also interested in language and literature in general.

I recently met a Texan about your age, by the way. Your name's not Michael, is it? :)

Titus Marius Crispus wrote:Is there an official procedure one must follow to join a collegium? I haven't been able to find anything in the regula about that.

Collegia don't have seperate membership lists (anymore). Everyone is considered a member of all collegia upon enrolling in SVR.

Cura ut valeas,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:40 pm

gratias multas vobis omnibus ago!

Draco wrote:I recently met a Texan about your age, by the way. Your name's not Michael, is it?

My name is Thomas (Tommy), although the Roman history player on my Certamen team is called Michael. Where did you meet him?

Ti. Coruncanius wrote:Oh yes, XML and CSS are great things aren't they?

Indeed. Now let us convice the Aediles of such things. :D

valete,
Titus Marius Crispus
Anonymous

Postby Marcus Pomponius Lupus on Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:32 pm

Salve Crispe,

A somewhat late welcome from me as well, to my defence, I was away for the past two weeks ;-) These Certamina you speak of sound interesting, it's also the first time I ever heard of it. Could you perhaps give us an example of what type of questions you get, both for grammar, mythology and history ?

Vale bene
Lupus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Iurisconsultus
Marcus Pomponius Lupus
Eques
Eques

Return to Introductions