Roman Market Day

Announcements about reenactments, conferences, history faires and other Roman organizations and events. Tell us what's happening in *your* Province this week!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Roman Market Day

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:18 pm

Salvete Romani,

I read a post on one of the antiquities message boards I'm subscribted to and thought some of you might be interested. Here it is:

There will be gladiators, soldiers and vendors selling Roman food and
goods at a Roman Market Day event associated with the annual Wells
Harborfest, and event that often draws more than 1000 visitors. If
you
are a vendor or re-enactor who would like to come, please contact
cassius622@aol.com

for additional information. If you are just interested in being a
spectator, please come!

What: Roman Market Days
When: July 9 - 10 10 AM to 4 PM
Where: Harbor Park in Wells, Maine

Valete bene,
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:58 pm

Posting advertisements of our rivals eh Tiberi? ;) You probably didn't know though, hehe.

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Voucher

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:10 pm

Salvete amici...

Seems we can't get an announcement of a Roman event without bumping into our Significant Others from the OP. Well, why not? --They're ten times our size, and obviously up to sponsoring events worldwide. More Romanitas being spread around, by whatever means...? --Cool!

Cassi's all right. Dunno what anyone else's experience with him has been, but I long considered him my 'patron' Over There, and he had nothing to do with the circumstances of my departure. His only contribution to that situation was a misplaced optimism and belief in the basic good nature and good intent of those who were giving me a hard time. The OP would have gotten off to a healthier start (and saved itself untold gyrations) if Cassius had been a little better at picking friends.

He'll probably be selling Roman coins and other minor antiquities (rings, maybe, and fibulae) at the Festival. People have mixed feelings about that, I know; but that's what he does, and he has nice stuff.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

market day

Postby Anonymous on Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:35 am

Salvete!

Roman Fairs? Interesting if true. I used to love going to Ren fairs and other interesting expositions hoping to meet people interested in ancient or medieval history. I mostly found posers, nuts, crazies simply interested in military fanaticism reenacting, racists, skinheads - you name it every wierd element fringe element was trying to lay claim to some aspect of the past. Sad really and insidious too. Think about it. Whoeverr controls the past can control the present.

I think the less people who atend sends a good message to such groups that they are not as popular as AM radio says that they are!
Anonymous

Zounds!

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:40 am

Salve, mi Numeri...

Yoiks!! --Haddaway! I've been going to RenFaires and similar events for 35 years, sometimes as Visitor but usually as Participant; how come I've never run into these? I don't deny that they exist, as they do in every segment of the population; but they can't be at all prevelant.

Na, who I usually bump into are SCAdians, Pagans of various sorts, roleplayers, some wargamers (usually at reenactments), and all degrees of authenticity from exquisitely-researched to Xena and ElfQuest. RenRats are almost uniformly intelligent, creative people who have often come to feel unwelcomed by 'mundane' social institutions, especially religious ones. If you are not welcome near the center, you wind up on the fringe. That doesn't necessarily make you a hatemonger unless you let it.

Anyone can get way-too-into anything. This is not a characteristic of the Faire or reenactor scene alone; it is simple human nature. Remember when people were saying the same thing about the 'Net! (And, come to think of it, we're a little 'fringe' here in the SVR ourselves, nonne?)

Please, go to your local Faire if you're lucky enough to have one. You will find enthusiasts and even some scholars. Your mind will expand a bit, if it can. As they used to say on the old Fat Albert cartoon, "If you ain't careful, you just might learn something!"

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:21 pm

Salve Draco

Gnæus Dionysius Draco wrote:Posting advertisements of our rivals eh Tiberi? ;) You probably didn't know though, hehe.

Draco

Rivals, mi Draco? Like Marius I certainly would not consider Marcus Cassius Julianus a rival. More than anyone else, Cassius should be credited with practically single-handily creating the interest in the religio Romana that we see on the internet today. And although SVR and some of our sodales have had past problems with certain cives of the OP, I do not hold the OP or any of its members to be rivals of SVR. We are in fact part of the same community, if only presently separated by a common interest.

SVR would do well to get over its attitude towards the OP, realize what we share in common, and seek to work together on common goals. Cosponsoring such events alongside the OP is one area SVR could consider for our mutual benefit.

Vale optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:10 am

Salve Cornucani

It seems to me that we are discussing associated issues, intolerances, and shortcomings of SVR. But those are topics best addressed in the Comitia.

Vale
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:09 am

I second that ! Please tell us all about our issus, shortcomings and intolerances. I'm such an ignorant, narrowminded person!

Enlighten me with yer Rhetoric!

Sheesh!
Anonymous

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:27 am

Salvete,

I wasn't trying to start anything here... come, let's calm down a bit.

Valete,
Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:40 am

Erm... I went away for a week... What happened here?
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:33 pm

They all joined a Dionysian mystery cult and will dance naked around my house. The Dionysian empire lives on!

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

ExCUSE Me?!

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:57 pm

Care Draco:

> They all joined a Dionysian mystery cult and will dance naked around my house.

Speak for yourself!!

Me, I just...Wandered off. (Gotta maintain my credentials, y'know.)
>({|;-)

In levitas,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:15 pm

Heh as long as it's only mysterious cults, then I suppose it's ok.

Mi Mari, you'd better look to your laurels, I might be in danger of usurping that title. :wink: I'm off again in a couple of weeks...
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

My laurels

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:40 pm

Salve, mi Curio!

Laurels...? I have no laurels; just a cognomen, well-earned, well-maintained and kept current. Keep be-bopping all over the planet like you have been, and you might get one too.

Which'd be an improvement, 'cause I know the various subtle meanings of Peregrinus...whereas you still have yet to tell me what the [frip] an 'Agelastus' is, and I've asked you directly twice!! >({|;-]

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:06 am

Did I not reply the first time? Oops, my mistake. As I understand it - and bear in mind my Latin remains woefully unpolished - Agelastus means "he who does not smile" or something along those lines. A reference to my old nickname: "The champion of dead pan." :D

As for laurels and cognomina - meh, same difference...
Rector ColHis, Senator

Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

That's a Good 'un!

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:16 am

Salve iterum, mi Curio, et salvete omnes!

Very well, O Deadpan One. I accept your explanation and shall inquire no further. Now all we have to do is anoint someone the King of Comedy (or maybe the Boss of Rock 'n' Roll?) to be your teammate...when s/he can find you. As fer the Latin of it...looks Greek to me. >({|;-)

Back on-topic... It would make sense to me to discuss this in the Comitia if there were an actual proposal afoot. Opinions, outlooks, perspective I thought we could have anywhere. The SVR as an organization, and its policies re: other groups...? --Yes I could see discussing them in Comitia too. (I'm just musing, btw, or 'thinking out loud'; don't take anything in this post as a slight on anyone.)

But I think a Magistrate needs to start it (Coruncanius maybe...?), and I think it needs to be in the form of a specific question, to keep it focussed. Otherwise we might get a whole lot of sidetracking about who's calling who what. I have seen nothing in this thread that was meant personally; but a couple of comments have been taken that way.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Roman Gatherings