NR Essay Contest

Announcements about reenactments, conferences, history faires and other Roman organizations and events. Tell us what's happening in *your* Province this week!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

NR Essay Contest

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:37 am

Salvete, amici Romani!

Not a gathering, exactly, but an event: In honor of the tenth anniversary of Nova Roma's founding, a series of games and contests are being held, among them some literary contests:

= = = = =

LITERARY CONTEST I

Write an ESSAY: Concordia and Politics in Nova Roma in the current year 2761 a.u.c. (7 pages maximum, 4,000 characters max per page). [results on Idus Mart. : 15 ]

DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: Entries must be received NO LATER THAN February 28th.

[Ed. note: I like the theme. I love the results date!! <g>]

LITERARY CONTEST II

Write a LETTER: you are a Roman soldier in Fabius Valens's marching army, on the eve of 69 AD [the Year of Four Emperors]. You have, on Feb. 15 (Lupercalia), written in Lugdunum a letter to your mother living in Rome, to give her news and confirm that you will not be able to be by her side for the Matronalia (2 pages maximum, 4,000 characters max per page). [results on Idus Mart. : 15 ]

DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: Entries must be received NO LATER THAN March 1st.

LITERARY CONTEST III

Write a SHORT STORY/DIALOGUE: Cassius and Vedius are convoked by Remus and Romulus who ask them to give them accounts on Nova Roma creation and on the past 10 years. Imagine their dialogue, which may be written either in a serious or in a humoristic style. (7 pages maximum, 4,000 characters max per page). [results on Idus Mart. : 15 ]

DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: Entries must be received NO LATER THAN March 4th.

= = = = =
I encourage any of our dual members who are so inclined to enter one or more of these, or the Ludi being held for the same occasion. First-place winners will receive a contest medallion w/ neck ribbon for their efforts. I've seen the designs for these; they're pretty sharp!

All entries should be submitted to: lucius_vitellius_triarius -at- yahoo -dot- com .

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

OTOH...

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Salvete iterum,

On second thought, the way things are going over there, I wouldn't touch that last topic with the rear bumper of a semi with myself in the cab and a 60-foot trailer attached...but that's just me.

*edges back a little further from the flames*
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

And then again...

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:52 am

Salvete yet again!

Would you believe they went through with the planned literary contests?
- Would you believe people actually submitted dialogues for that third topic?
- - Would you believe the funny one WON??

Nova Roma, Nova Roma, Nova Roma...*shakes head gently, smiling*

...Silly girl. >({|;-)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Roman Gatherings