FERIAE LATINAE, Austin, TX (US) and Worldwide

Announcements about reenactments, conferences, history faires and other Roman organizations and events. Tell us what's happening in *your* Province this week!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

FERIAE LATINAE, Austin, TX (US) and Worldwide

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:22 am

Salvete, amici Romani!

It's official; the Societas Via Romana is taking part in a worldwide celebration of the Feriae Latinae on the weekend of 18-21 April MMDCCLXI (2008 CE). Members and leadership of Nova Roma, The Roman Way, and a number of Roman Religious societies will also be attending. But I'll let Curator Servilius' announcement, in our name, to the NR Main List speak for itself; Curator Iohannes' bulletin may be found in the Comitia.

_:::_:::_:::_:::_:::_

The Curatores of the Societas Via Romana cordially invite all interested citizens of Nova Roma, all Romans-in-Spirit, and all other Roman culture enthusiasts to join us in Austin, Texas, on a. d. XII Kalendas Maias (20 April), Ab Urbe Condita MMDCCLXI (2008 CE) for the Feriae Latinae.

What are the Feriae Latinae?

* The original Feriae Latinae was a celebration of unity among the Latins, and later of unity between Rome and Latium;
* It was a time for resolving disputes between Latin towns;
* A Sacred Truce was enforced and hostilities banned during this time;
* Atop Mons Albanus in Latium the Consuls participated in a sacrifice to Iuppiter Latiaris (Latin Jupiter);
* The remains of the sacrifice were then shared out among the participant towns and Rome, giving all the benefit of the blessing.

What it means today:

* The celebration is about unity;
* It is a celebration of the kind of respect and solidarity that we hope for among today's various Roman and Roman Religious groups; and
* Since the Feriae Latinae are being held on April 20, by chance or design, the following day, April 21st, will be the dies natalis Urbis Romae ipsius. (A double Roman unity bonanza, as it were.) We hope that all lovers of Rome will join together this April in celebrating the eternal spirit of Roma ipsa, as well as the determination, dedication and common enthusiasm seen among all modern Romans.

Optime valete!

Quintus Servilius Priscus, Curator
Valerius Claudius Iohannes, Curator
On behalf of the Societas Via Romana

_:::_:::_:::_:::_:::_

NR Consul and SVR Curialis M Horatius Piscinus is coordinating a round-the-world, timezone-by-timezone rite to Iuppiter Latiaris; celebrants will be gathering from Australia to Italia to the US, Mexico and points beyond before concluding in Australia again. M Horatius will have details about where, specifically, the different observances will be taking place. I know a group in Philadelphia is taking part, as well as one in Oaxaca, Mexico. Consul Piscinus has posted particulars in his address for the Ludi Conditores on the Nova Roma Wiki. As we learn of others, we'll post them here!

Other activities are still being put together. We're coordinating with Arnamentia Moravia Aurelia Coritana, TRW Senatrix and NR Propraetor, who is hosting the Austin gathering. At the very least there will be one or more meetings between the Roman groups present, some excellent food, most likely a tour of the University of Texas/Austin...and Marius raiding the bookshops of the first college town he's seen since leaving Berkeley, California in 1995. >({|;-)

Amici: Believe it or not, this will be the first large Roman gathering I have ever attended. (I always did my reenactor gigs solo, at venues such as Renaissance Faires and SCA events; I was almost always the only Roman present.) The Little Dog and I will be riding down with Q Servilius; we get to meet Aurelia, Piscinus, and anyone else who can make it when we get there (the priest from Mexico is flying up!); and I will finally learn how to wear a toga. It's also my first real road-trip in about ten years. I am so excited!! And of course I get to do my Legatus thing, recruit for us and pass out all the commemorative goodies I had printed up.

I encourage anyone who can possibly come to Austin to do so. I know time's a little short, and I apologise for that. But if you can score a weekend off, or if we find out a celebration is going on within a reasonable journey of where you live, by all means go!

In amicitia et fide,
Last edited by Aldus Marius on Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:19 am

Marius,

Unless someone well off financially can buy mea plane ticket, I can't go. :(

But you said a group in Philly isdoing something? Is ita Nova Roma group? Do you know anything else about it?

Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Excerpt from Consul Piscinus' Address

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:23 pm

Salvete iterum, amici!

To make things a little easier for ya's, I bring you the Feriae Latinae sections of Consul Piscinus' address.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Nova Roma shall take the lead this year in a worldwide event to celebrate Cerealia, the Feriae Latinae, and Parilia. The celebration shall be capped off by the rites of Jupiter Latiaris restored once more atop Mont Albano, Latium. And in the Americas Jupiter Latiaris shall be welcomed atop another sacred mount, Monte Alban, Mexico. To these rights others shall join in ringing the globe in a sequential, coordinated celebration lasting throughout the day, beginning in Australia and Japan, crossing to China, India, through Bactria and Mesopotamia where our commiles now hold the frontiers of civilization, to Romania where my [Consular] collega and bonus amicus, Titus Iulius Sabinus, shall lead the rites for Jupiter Latiaris and Concordia, across Europe, centered on Mont Albano, then across the Atlantic to Brasilia and Argentina, up through high Peru and Mexico to Texas where I shall also be performing the same ritual, across the United States and Canada to Alaska and Hawaii before completing the circuit one more in Australia.

What will make this event historic for Nova Roma is that others shall join with us in these celebrations. The Roman Way of Austin, Texas, shall play hostess to a Consul and a Praetor of Nova Roma, while they will be joined by a Curator and other representatives of the Societas Via Romana. Also joining with Nova Roma in the rites of Jupiter Latiaris shall be the Clarian Temple and the Order of the Evening Star in Philadelphia; the Sacred Grove of Egeria, Chapel Hill, NC; congregations of Unitarians across the US; [and] the Antonine Temples of the Religio Romana in Seattle, Wa., and Los Angeles, Ca. Other groups shall be joining in the rites atop Mont Albano, Italy. We hope, too, to increase the number and diversity of participating groups and organizations as we begin to publicize this event.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

...OK, I think we're all on the same page now. Until Aurelia gets back with us about "civilian" activities, you know as much about this as I do. >({|:-)

The significant thing about this is that there are so many non-Nova Roma groups participating; each independent, each existing in its own right; and not all of them have ever even done business with NR, let alone emerged from their ranks like we have. As far as I know, it's the first time NR has gone in on anything with anyone besides other Novaromani. (I may be wrong about that; they do sponsor reenactor Legions, and attend their events.)

Consul Piscinus will have contact info for the listed organisations.

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Civilian activities

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:59 am

Salvete iterum, amici Romani!

Tentative schedule for Sunday, 20 April:

10 AM
- Rites to Iuppiter Latiaris (in an outdoor location)
NOON - brunch at Cannoli Joe's
2 PM - visit to the Blanton Museum, Classics library, and/or UT campus stroll
5 PM - rest
6 PM - Roman potluck dinner and presentation by UT Classics faculty

We're still deciding on a topic for the presentation, but the list of talks available on short notice can be found at http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/classics/outreach/ .

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 pm

Salve,

Updated information on the Feriae Latinae can be found on the SVR Feriae Latinae site at:

http://www.frumentarii.com/svr/Welcome.html

I will update the Blog there with fresh info as it becomes available.

Valete,
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Censor, Curator
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Curialis
Curialis

Omnibus

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:39 pm

Avete, Collegae -

Best wishes on this day of

-- PARILIA

-- ROMA CONDITA

-- FERIAE LATINAE

May God and the Gods keep you all well,
amid the turbulence of our times.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Austini Congressio

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:38 pm

Salvete, Omnes -

I posted this before I found that they have both posted reports, Marius Peregrinus and Servilius Priscus, over in the Comitia Forum.

Salve, Alde Marii Quinteque Servilii Prisce -

I see, Quinte, that you've posted a report on the Feriae Latinae gathering on Nova Roma's main board -- please share some of the details with all of us who couldn't attend! It sounds like it was fun.

And Marii, I'm hoping you will give us a resume of it all, as well.

Valete.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Return to Roman Gatherings